Any Sci-Fi Geeks in here

JustC

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Other
Currrently on a re-watch of the re-imagined BSG on iplayer, upto S2.8 atm, forgotten how many times I've watched it tbh. It's still frakkin' awesome

Any other Sci-Fi geeks in here? Favourite Series/Books/Films?

Daniel Suarez has some pretty good stuff.
Andreas Eschbach as well as Neal Stephenson. I wouldn't call myself a Sci-Fi geek, however it is my most favorable genre.

Deus Ex are the best among video games, however I do not know many of the more recent ones.

europepper2023 said:
Daniel Suarez has some pretty good stuff.
Andreas Eschbach as well as Neal Stephenson. I wouldn't call myself a Sci-Fi geek, however it is my most favorable genre.
+1 for Neal Stephenson, overdue a re-read of Snow Crash, but got his new one lined up too

Reactions: europepper2023
Heinlein and Bradbury fan from way back. Totally loved "The expanse" on Prime.

Also Dr. Who, back before the BBC ruined it like they tend to do to everything good eventually.

Reactions: Sissyleslie
Not a geek, probably, but I did enjoy some of Stanislaw Lem's work.

I have always been a fan of the Dragonriders of Pern series (sci-fi and fantasy blend) and enjoyed reading classic sci-fi by Isaac Asimov and HG Wells.

JustC said:
Currrently on a re-watch of the re-imagined BSG on iplayer, upto S2.8 atm, forgotten how many times I've watched it tbh. It's still frakkin' awesome

Any other Sci-Fi geeks in here? Favourite Series/Books/Films?
Battlestar Galactica? Yeah, it's good. I prefer the new one over the original.
Been surprised by how good a lot of remakes are; maybe, back in the day when we had less choice and experience, they could feed us crap and we didn't know any different?
I've yet to watch the remake of V (got the well-watched original on DVD).
I like Neill Blomkamp's stuff, too (kind of surprised myself when I checked my favourite sci-fi films to find that I had most, if not all, of his).

A quick scan around me, in the kitchen, and I spy lots of sci-fi/fantasy DVDs: Agents Of Shield series, The Boys series, select Marvel Universe films, Stargate Atlantis series, A Town Called Eureka series, 12 Monkeys series, new Battlestar Galactica (recorded of telly; 2 or 3 episodes missing due to them messing about with the schedule), The X Files....and that's without really looking.
Am I a fan or a geek, though?

Gwennie said:
Also Dr. Who, back before the BBC ruined it like they tend to do to everything good eventually.
I'm a Dr. Who fan. I agree with you about the BBC ruining everything. Before he changed jobs, a colleague at work sold me some of his Classic-Era Dr. Who Dvds. It's inspired me to purchase some more of the Classic series. I really like Patrick Troughton as the doctor. (I only really started watching the series when Tom Baker was getting towards the end of his time as the Doctor and the stories were getting silly. So I am watching a lot of episodes for the first time (and enjoying them!)🙂

Reactions: Gwennie and Seasonedcitizen
Heinlein’s novel, The Moon is a Harsh Mistreso. Political prisoners from Earth are being held on the Moon as virtual slave laborers to supply supply Earth with vital minerals, which they send down the gravity well to smelters and factories on Earth. They cannot return to Earth because their bodies have been so changed by the Moon’s low gravity that a trip to Earth with it higher gravity could be fatal. Hoping to establish independence, the prisoners start a revolution with the help of a supercomputer that becomes sentient and starts communicating verbally with its programmer (a political prisoner of Russian extraction, who in,y opinion is one of the more memorable characters in sci-fi.).

I can’t recommend this book highly enough. It contains equal doses of hard science with humour, liberated but not graphic sexuality, and likeable characters, including the computer (who is kinder than the murderous HAL OF 2001 — A Space Odyssey.

Reactions: Gwennie and Seasonedcitizen
The Science Fiction writer Brian Aldiss is from my home county of Norfolk. He was born in Dereham.

I really like the twilight zone ^^ the old one. Also, the old outer limits. Its pretty cool ^^

Avid sci-fi reader, although Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama" is still one of my favorites after decades. My copy is falling apart. :) A movie's been in development for some time. I hope it gets made before I die, heh.

StrawberryPan said:
I really like the twilight zone ^^ the old one. Also, the old outer limits. Its pretty cool ^^
The old Twilight Zone is currently on 'offer' at Amazon, in the UK anyway, if that's of any interest to you.

Reactions: ShippoFox
ade said:
The old Twilight Zone is currently on 'offer' at Amazon, in the UK anyway, if that's of any interest to you.
thanks but im a pirate through and through haha, ive had the files for years

Reactions: ShippoFox and ade
I used to watch Dr Who forty years ago and it was an interesting concept. The series outlives its characters. I could never watch the newer ones because many plots have points that were from shows eons ago. Who is Davros and what is his relationship to the Daliks?

i lusted for Romana 2 (she also played the princess in the Keys of Time).

One story I read years ago has someone trying to find a time traveler who is in New York City in the 1920’s. He places an ad in the newspapers that only someone in the future would understand. The ad shows an atomic mushroom cloud with the caption “Atomic Investments, Watch Your Money Mushroom”.

Voyager, TNG, and DS9 are my biggies but I love sci fi in general. Was super into Earth Final Conflict growing up too.

Me:
Classic Doctor Who
Star Trek (All versions)
SPACE:1999
Farscape
Earth: Final Conflict
Primeval
Andromeda
Babylon 5
The Invaders

Reactions: JustC and Cottontail
caitianx said:
Babylon 5
I loved it during its initial run. The remastered version is on Amazon. I should probably start binge-watching.

And the cherry on top? It starts with "Baby." :)

StrawberryPan said:
I have the entire original series of 'The Outer Limits' on 2 DVD box-sets. The 'Legend' freeview tv Channel showed the entire first season of 'The Twilight Zone' and are now repeating it. (It's fun watching actors in both series before they became famous in the original 'Star Trek' series).

Back