Any one own a tractor unit ?

NappiedTruckDriver

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Been looking at cheap tractor units (UK) to buy one do it up and show
You can get a half decent one for about £7/8 k then cost of RFL insurance and storage on top
I drive a truck for work it’s a DAF XF 106 480 , 2018 in Factory Jamaican blue met 😎got stainless mirror covers and wheel covers on it I also polish the tank and exhaust cover ( But I don’t own it and it’s a work truck )
Here’s some pics of it
Reg number and company name are blacked out
4B49F1EC-281E-45ED-91FE-9777153B009E.jpeg0A279B83-2CB7-4A8B-9219-C5A892052CFE.jpeg3A8AA4BF-F442-457F-95B6-9ABFE3A13B39.jpegD55C154B-F101-44D5-B3E1-19EF131EAA82.jpeg42E0DBBB-B3F2-4B84-9A5F-2188358093EC.jpegEC3008B6-C085-46B8-8F7A-5111E2ECE0C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jorelaxed and Diprs2
My steed A01C0160-022E-45E9-95C2-88B3E143D884.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: vp39 and Diprs2
Nice. I always loved the cabovers. I don't know why we don't run more of them here in the states.

Nowididit said:
Nice. I always loved the cabovers. I don't know why we don't run more of them here in the states.
Because they ride like crap! You’re sitting right over the steering axle and it will beat you to death on rough roads. My wife and I bought our ‘75 Freightliner cab over the summer we got married in ‘80. It had 4 leaf rear suspension and a stack of springs of about 12 leaves for the steering. It RODE LIKE CRAP!. Several years later I drove an ‘80 Freightliner bunk and a half cab over that had air ride rear suspension, but still had a large stack of springs on the steering axle that I was sitting right over when driving. It rode slightly better, but still like crap. After that truck ATS bought the 5 of us on the Alcan fleet 5 Freightliner conventionals with air ride rear suspension, an air ride integral cab/sleeper, set back front 20k pound axle with 3 leaf tapered springs, 244” wheelbase, 444 Cummins, 18 speed Fuller, 44k pound dual cross locker Rockwell rear ends. The 3 leaf taper springs have far less internal friction and are much longer on the trucks with set back axles and despite being rated for 8k pounds more than standard truck front axles they road very well. This combined with the air ride rear suspension and air ride cab made a good riding truck even in the roads we encountered in Alaska and those getting there. Now we’re talking a truck that rides as good as the ‘89 Chevy Caprice that I once owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: chamberpot
My friends rig, it is now parked for winter

Attachments

• img138_1.jpg
    img138_1.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: ChrisChris
Blacksmith said:
Love it.

Nowididit said:
You couldn’t use those ocean liner sized units over here as you wouldn’t get in any where
That’s why Europe has cab overs

This is my truck! I don’t currently run it much because with rates the way they are and fuel prices I can make more doing other things

F2788C1F-7F7F-4646-ADE0-8F3904AF5277.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, ChrisChris, NappiedTruckDriver and 1 other person
parcelboy2 said:
You couldn’t use those ocean liner sized units over here as you wouldn’t get in any where
That’s why Europe has cab overs
Ocean liner sized trucks for an ocean liner sized Country! That is except for certain east coast areas where any truck is too much truck. I still can’t figure out why so many people feel compelled to live on that island on the east side of the George Washington Bridge. I can’t imagine trying to navigate a tractor trailer around some of those mid evil villages in Europe with streets made for pedestrians, horses, hand carts, and horse carriages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
Blacksmith said:
Blacksmith said:
My friends rig, it is now parked for winter.
I drove a Pete double bunk cab over, that was painted in International Transport green and yellow, that looked just like that (except for the quad exhaust stacks). It had a 400 Cat and did a fine job on the heavy haul fleet.

Reactions: Diprs2
ade said:
I'm trying to guess what's on those pallets.......
TV/monitor screens???
Pop up our end and let me have goosey 😉😉😉
No telephone fibre optic connection boxes etc

Blacksmith said:
the terminator 2 truck! :3 love those old flat face trucks.

parcelboy2 said:
Been looking at cheap tractor units (UK) to buy one do it up and show
You can get a half decent one for about £7/8 k then cost of RFL insurance and storage on top
I drive a truck for work it’s a DAF XF 106 480 , 2018 in Factory Jamaican blue met 😎got stainless mirror covers and wheel covers on it I also polish the tank and exhaust cover ( But I don’t own it and it’s a work truck )
Here’s some pics of it
Reg number and company name are blacked out
View attachment 102693View attachment 102694View attachment 102695View attachment 102696View attachment 102697View attachment 102698
That's a clean truck!.👍😎

Nowididit said:

Cabovers are not aerodynamic with the new EPA regulations manufactures haft to get 7mpg on flat ground out of there new model year its also a moving target the best way to reach that is with Aero that's why there are no cabovers made anymore

Kirisin said:
Cabovers are not aerodynamic with the new EPA regulations manufactures haft to get 7mpg on flat ground out of there new model year its also a moving target the best way to reach that is with Aero that's why there are no cabovers made anymore
I have asked but have forgotten the exact numbers, but I believe that truck does at least 7mpg

Blacksmith said:
I have asked but have forgotten the exact numbers, but I believe that truck does at least 7mpg
5.6 was all we ever got out of one. Even those W900 KW can't get more then about 5.5. That number was last I heard 7mpg on flat road at 80,000 lbs but like I said it's a moving target couple years it will be 8mpg. You can only get so much fuel savings out of a Diesel truck that climbs hills at 30mph.

Attachments

• w900-header.jpg
    w900-header.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 2
Back