Any Nuclear plant workers?

goodnitelvr10 said:
Alot of it comes down to human error! Nuclear is inherently safe, until us humans manage to screw it up. There are so many safety measures in place it’s mind bending!

As far as diapers at work….. It sure would be nice. But just not possible in the areas I work. We have to wear protective suits most of the time and are always at risk of losing closing due to contamination. But man would it be convienient since certain areas make it EXTREMELY difficult to take bathroom breaks.
Perhaps put in the ye old suggestion box to have people wear diapers when using the suits, to avoid having to enter/leave the zone for bathroom and also for ease of bathroom visits in case there is a dire need and/or bathroom is not close. After all you can mention that they use them in space suits for about the same reasons, as they do in some top biolabs (get heat sealed into the suit, so need a new suit for a bathroom break)
Wouldnt have to be used, but might be a handy thing if there is ever an emergency to already be in the mix so to speak. Imagine having to stop a critical repair to use the bathroom :)

But in all seriousness it wouldnt be a bad idea in reality.

Reactions: goodnitelvr10
goodnitelvr10 said:
Alot of it comes down to human error! Nuclear is inherently safe, until us humans manage to screw it up. There are so many safety .. was trying to show in place it’s mind bending!

As far as diapers at work….. It sure would be nice. But just not possible in the areas I work. We have to wear protective suits most of the time and are always at risk of losing closing due to contamination. But man would it be convienient since certain areas make it EXTREMELY difficult to take bathroom breaks.

Man you should watch the movie silkwood.... If not this documentary about it. This whistle blower has murdered because she was trying to show how the greedy owners but profits over safety. Very bad stuff too.. Like taking black magic markers to doctor hairline cracks on the X-rays of the fuel rods and so so much more. The entire town was sick and it was played down.

Bigbabybret said:
Perhaps put in the ye old suggestion box to have people wear diapers when using the suits, to avoid having to enter/leave the zone for bathroom and also for ease of bathroom visits in case there is a dire need and/or bathroom is not close. After all you can mention that they use them in space suits for about the same reasons, as they do in some top biolabs (get heat sealed into the suit, so need a new suit for a bathroom break)
Wouldnt have to be used, but might be a handy thing if there is ever an emergency to already be in the mix so to speak. Imagine having to stop a critical repair to use the bathroom :)

But in all seriousness it wouldnt be a bad idea in reality.
I mean you aren’t wrong at all!

Reactions: Bigbabybret
goodnitelvr10 said:
I mean you aren’t wrong at all!
Yeah hindsight is 20/20 but, some of the issues even at 3MI are so obvious and seems that common sense has been somehow voted out in favor of a myoptic engineer and a mad scientist run amuck in kent.

But, yeah anytime there is huge government oversight it seems that common sense and physics are no longer even thought about anymore.

But, you keep up the work, and try to keep the common sense in the mix...when things feel wrong they usually are...When its over engineered then it seems people give up on the things that have kept the species alive for a long time.

Bigbabybret said:
Yeah hindsight is 20/20 but, some of the issues even at 3MI are so obvious and seems that common sense has been somehow voted out in favor of a myoptic engineer and a mad scientist run amuck in kent.

But, yeah anytime there is huge government oversight it seems that common sense and physics are no longer even thought about anymore.

But, you keep up the work, and try to keep the common sense in the mix...when things feel wrong they usually are...When its over engineered then it seems people give up on the things that have kept the species alive for a long time.
Well one thing I’ve come to learn in my decade in this industry is common sense isn’t so common….. Often times the logical route isn’t taken, instead the most oddball approach is taken to do things.

• Wow
Man this is a heavy thread! First of all thank you to everyone in the energy sector for making our modern world go around. Also it is so amazing to read about normal professional industry stuff from people who just so happen to also like to pad up. This kind of community diversity is what makes this community so darn cool!

Reactions: geka and goodnitelvr10
I only know some of the stuff that requires explosive lenses and bridgewire detonators.

👉👈🫢

Last edited:
Traveler said:
Man this is a heavy thread! First of all thank you to everyone in the energy sector for making our modern world go around. Also it is so amazing to read about normal professional industry stuff from people who just so happen to also like to pad up. This kind of community diversity is what makes this community so darn cool!
We are a diverse group that’s for sure! I just wonder how many other nukies like me enjoy padding??? Surely I’m not the only one. My quest continues to find more.

LittleAndAlone said:
I only know some of the stuff that requires explosive lenses and bridgewire detonators.

👉👈🫢
Even the commercial generation plants use explosive squib valves to isolate traversing in-core neutron detectors when they get stuck; they're the only licensed explosives on site. Otherwise not much in common with bomb building even if a lot of reactor engineers could totally sketch a design for one on a white board.

I will say I'm very thankful my local nuke has a great track record and safety oriented atmosphere. The one I went to that had a tritium "leak" I did not get the same feeling from. Also pwr>bwr lol.

Dakota13 said:
I will say I'm very thankful my local nuke has a great track record and safety oriented atmosphere. The one I went to that had a tritium "leak" I did not get the same feeling from. Also pwr>bwr lol.
Bwrs aren’t THAT bad. Everything is just contaminated that’s all. Just makes everything more of a process and having to wear the protective suits kind of sucks

goodnitelvr10 said:
Bwrs aren’t THAT bad. Everything is just contaminated that’s all. Just makes everything more of a process and having to wear the protective suits kind of sucks
Yeah, it wasn't bad, my pwr is just so clean lol.

ucfguy475 said:
Even the commercial generation plants use explosive squib valves to isolate traversing in-core neutron detectors when they get stuck; they're the only licensed explosives on site. Otherwise not much in common with bomb building even if a lot of reactor engineers could totally sketch a design for one on a white board.
No, there are (also) explosive squib valves on the outlet of the standby liquid control (boric acid injection) safety system on BWRs.

Last edited:
Dakota13 said:
Yeah, it wasn't bad, my pwr is just so clean lol.
Those are the best kind!!! I’ve run across a few super clean PWR, also some that are supposed to be but…… aren’t lol

goodnitelvr10 said:
Any fellow nuclear plant workers on here? I’ve always been curious of any of my fellow nukes come home after and enjoy the pleasure of a diaper after our long shifts?

I’m at Catawba nuclear station right now. Anyone else on this particular outage?
When I left Active Duty and was searching for a good meaningful job/career choice, I and a fellow Marine applied for, Qualified for, and 'Passed' with flying colors, all the application, exam, physical and mental tests they put us through.
Only to be told during our final 'Intake' appointment, that 'We,' happened to be the wrong skin color.
'Affirmative Action' they called it, then.

An insult and utter bullshit is what it was, and is to this day.

Tine said:
When I left Active Duty and was searching for a good meaningful job/career choice, I and a fellow Marine applied for, Qualified for, and 'Passed' with flying colors, all the application, exam, physical and mental tests they put us through.
Only to be told during our final 'Intake' appointment, that 'We,' happened to be the wrong skin color.
'Affirmative Action' they called it, then.

An insult and utter bullshit is what it was, and is to this day.
Are you serious!?! That’s crazy!!!! I’m sorry that happened.

goodnitelvr10 said:
Are you serious!?! That’s crazy!!!! I’m sorry that happened.
Dead serious.
As pissed-off as I was after leaving their bldg. the final time (It was a very good paying job, 100% medical and retirement), I could tell the guy who had to give us the bad news was obviously pissed-off, too. He flat out told us we were the best Applicants he/the company could've hoped for, and yet he could not hire us.

I've had a personal problem with anything 'Affirmative Action/DEI/et al' since, and to this day refuse to believe that has actually helped anything, and in fact is the cause of a great many problems across the entire board that is society/govt..

Reactions: goodnitelvr10 and Bigbabybret
Tine said:
Dead serious.
As pissed-off as I was after leaving their bldg. the final time (It was a very good paying job, 100% medical and retirement), I could tell the guy who had to give us the bad news was obviously pissed-off, too. He flat out told us we were the best Applicants he/the company could've hoped for, and yet he could not hire us.

I've had a personal problem with anything 'Affirmative Action/DEI/et al' since, and to this day refuse to believe that has actually helped anything, and in fact is the cause of a great many problems across the entire board that is society/govt..
That’s just nuts…. It was their loss for sure

While I don't work in a nuclear plant, I have a family member who worked (I think) at Idaho National Laboratory. I don't recall her exact profession but was involved with radioactive things. I have a collection of radioactive items within arm's length also! 😁

Some items I have:
Easy to get vintage Fiesta Ware "radioactive" red plate and sugar bowl.
Thoriated camera lenses.
Americium sources.
And... some rarer stuff... 😬 Actually, I don't know if it's still radioactive.

No radioactive diapers sadly. 😔

LainIsLain said:
While I don't work in a nuclear plant, I have a family member who worked (I think) at Idaho National Laboratory. I don't recall her exact profession but was involved with radioactive things. I have a collection of radioactive items within arm's length also! 😁

Some items I have:
Easy to get vintage Fiesta Ware "radioactive" red plate and sugar bowl.
Thoriated camera lenses.
Americium sources.
And... some rarer stuff... 😬 Actually, I don't know if it's still radioactive.

No radioactive diapers sadly. 😔
Thats a pretty cool collection! I’ve always found that vintage fiesta ware interesting.
A little radiation is good for you I always say 😜

Back