Any big coffee heads on here?

DRZWDerepaid

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Been into coffee for a long (relative to my late-20s age) time. Just got my first good grinder delivered today (Baratza Encore ESP) and ordered some specialty beans. Right now I brew with an Aeropress mostly, but I have a 6 cup Chemex as well. I mainly drink light roasts, but used to be big on dark roasts until my taste fully developed around 19-20. Would like to get into espresso when a decent machine fits in the budget.

What your coffee journey like? Anyone do something special or kind of "different" or "unique"? Any good brew method recommendations or coffee recommendations? Anyone else with an Encore ESP that can recommend grind settings for Aeropress or Chemex?

Reactions: moorey, Tine, KBoy and 2 others
Have a Chemex, and an ECM synchronia and a Lucca Atom Grinder. Love espresso mostly.

Sprint3473 said:
Have a Chemex, and an ECM synchronia and a Lucca Atom Grinder. Love espresso mostly.
Wow! That's one hell of a home dream setup!!!

Reactions: nectar0001 and Seasonedcitizen
I am very much a coffee afficionado! And living in Seattle has only made my coffee desires grow!
For Christmas I was surprised with an amazing Moccamaster coffee make and Moccamaster Burr coffee grinder! It makes such a good cup of coffee. I'm not a mocha/latte guy, either brewed coffee or Americano, and of course cold brew!

Reactions: meowmind
Oh yes! Very much so.

My typical cup is usually some home roasted single origin coffees, prepared in a Hario pour over. I also have a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder.

A couple months back I picked up a Breville "Dual Boiler" machine at the thrift store for $50, but I need to replace all the o-rings in that. There are a bunch of cool mods for this machine I'd love to try out.

Overall tho, I prefer the Hario pour over to espresso. I love the process, and I love the coffee it produces. Also with espresso I am usually making Americanos for the most part, so it's not much different as far as strength/body of the drink goes.

NorthwestDiaperDude said:
I am very much a coffee afficionado! And living in Seattle has only made my coffee desires grow!
For Christmas I was surprised with an amazing Moccamaster coffee make and Moccamaster Burr coffee grinder! It makes such a good cup of coffee. I'm not a mocha/latte guy, either brewed coffee or Americano, and of course cold brew!
Oooohh. I have seen those Technivorm Moccamaster machines, and have always wanted one, just could never justify it for my single cup a day habit. That is one heck of a Christmas gift!!

Pirate cofee for me: Big one with ruhm added.

DRZWDerepaid said:
Been into coffee for a long (relative to my late-20s age) time. Just got my first good grinder delivered today (Baratza Encore ESP) and ordered some specialty beans. Right now I brew with an Aeropress mostly, but I have a 6 cup Chemex as well. I mainly drink light roasts, but used to be big on dark roasts until my taste fully developed around 19-20. Would like to get into espresso when a decent machine fits in the budget.

What your coffee journey like? Anyone do something special or kind of "different" or "unique"? Any good brew method recommendations or coffee recommendations? Anyone else with an Encore ESP that can recommend grind settings for Aeropress or Chemex?
For a coffee recommendation, I'd go with any of the Counter Culture blends! Hologram is my #1 favorite blend. Hunter Bay also has some great ones.

I am not familiar with your grinder, but start with a general medium-fine grind for either of those methods, and dial it finer/courser till you get something you like. Every coffee will behave differently, and even climate can have an effect on this. Learning to dial in your grinder accordingly will be the best thing you can learn as far as anything in coffee goes.

Just a regular keurig with reusable pods using coffee grounds from Death Wish Coffee Co. I prefer mine black with occasional sugar and/or cream.

I mainly use a one liter (34 floz in non-SI units) french press with Utamtsi coffee - at least one beaker per day. Black.

I love my daily cup of Coffee with milk and sweeten it with brown sugar.
Before, I would drink my Coffee black but was too acidic for my stomach, adding milk helped cut back the heartburn alot.😃😃😃😃

Last edited:
I drink mine black. Right now I use a drip machine. My mother used to make coffee on the stove with a percolator and boil the coffee to death. I found one at a thrift store and someday plan to use it. The electric coffee pots give super hot coffee. I tried the French press and didn’t like it. I probably need to experiment more with different grinds. The Aeropress didn’t give me hot coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 0
I drink espresso like my life depends on it. (and many different combos of steamed milk drinks to go along)

At home I have a Breville Bambino, and at work we have a much bigger, Casabrews machine

Sprint3473 said:
Tampa Florida Cigar City Ybor City Love Expresso 💓
Mostly half& half with milk and sugar
The older cats drink shots of it straight good stuff

I drink 3 to 4 cups a day but nothing special. I do have a Technivorm Moccamaster and a Baratza grinder.

I'm afraid I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum here: I like and drink plain ol' Folgers Classic Roast brewed in a Mr. Coffee every morning. Love the taste and have never gotten into the fancy stuff...

diaperbobby said:
I'm afraid I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum here: I like and drink plain ol' Folgers Classic Roast brewed in a Mr. Coffee every morning. Love the taste and have never gotten into the fancy stuff...
Aren't you cute baby, Expresso isn't fancy stuff lol
It is a cultural and regional taste in coffee ☕ 😺
Coffee that cost 10Bucks a cup is the fancy stuff, too fancy for this coffee cat

Serious coffee addict here. When Wife and I lived near Seattle, one of our favorite coffee shops went out of business. We bought all their commercial gear, turned the bar at our house into a coffee bar, and attended weekend barista school for a couple of months. It was a lot of fun.

We moved about ten years ago to a smaller house and unfortunately had no room for a big two-group commercial espresso machine. We sold it, and now have a more sane (but somewhat less fun) setup. It gets used literally every day though. I’m not sure what I’d do without my Americanos and vanilla lattes.

I’ve flirted with the idea of getting into roasting, but I just have way too many hobbies. Maybe when I retire.

• Wow
Reactions: nectar0001, dogboy, Seasonedcitizen and 1 other person
Cottontail said:
Serious coffee addict here. When Wife and I lived near Seattle, one of our favorite coffee shops went out of business. We bought all their commercial gear, turned the bar at our house into a coffee bar, and attended weekend barista school for a couple of months. It was a lot of fun.

We moved about ten years ago to a smaller house and unfortunately had no room for a big two-group commercial espresso machine. We sold it, and now have a more sane (but somewhat less fun) setup. It gets used literally every day though. I’m not sure what I’d do without my Americanos and vanilla lattes.

I’ve flirted with the idea of getting into roasting, but I just have way too many hobbies. Maybe when I retire.
I can't help myself, it has you bouncing around the house, you work at a desk, a standing desk.
You are a hopping rabbit jacked up on super meth lab style coffee. I can see it, I know why Cottontail has bandages, bouncing off the walls 😹
Go Cottontail 😻

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy and Cottontail
Theirs a few places around me that sell whole bean coffee, I usually go for the darker roast and I also order from Don Pablo coffee. I usually purchase from the discount stores ran by the Amish they usually carry Starbucks and other specialty brands of coffee in whole bean very inexpensive
As for coffee makers I have a few French presses and a few espresso coffee makers that go on the cook top they’re better than any espresso machine you can ever buy plus no parts that break down and can be used practically anywhere. I have my grandmothers percolator which was her mom’s I use it once in awhile as the Bakelite handle is old and has some damage to it. I have two coffee grinders nothing special about them

Back