Am I Autistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A that explains why over here Asbergers is also possible as a separate symtom as is Autism and Bipolar etc... Thanks for clearing that up Tiny :smile1:

Last edited by a moderator:
But, according to my Bubba, apparently, they use it in Britain, too? That surprised him.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
But, according to my Bubba, apparently, they use it in Britain, too? That surprised him.

NHS staff might refer to concepts or diagnoses in the DSM or the ICD (the international equivalent to the American DSM), but they aren't relied upon so much as seen as one of many guides.

The DSM is more relevant to the needs of insurance companies, rather than medical practitioners.

Last edited:
tiny said:
Not strictly -- there's less need to pigeon-hole conditions here as the NHS is doesn't have to justify diagnoses to insurers.

But... if you can't work and need benefits (welfare money)... you've got the same kind of struggle to get a dogmatic label so you can tick the box to obtain the funding you need to live. Same shit, different country!

In Europe, the ICD is the equivalent of the American DSM. But neither are relied upon so much as in the American healthcare system. The impression from overseas is that, in the US, the DSM is hailed as some kind of holy bible of medical conditions in a way that doesn't happen so much elsewhere, where, it seems, government policy takes precedence.

I'm pleasantly surprised! I know of the ICD 10. That's where non-psych stuff goes, here! Not angry, ecstatic!:biggrin: Parkinson's is there, CP is there. Even diabetes, I believe. That stuff goes there. We use it, too! Oh, my gosh. We're not too different. What ocean? You mean that puddle? Oh, that tiny thing? Fooey! That's nothing!

What I was told in school Special Education it was (still a decade or more before Asperger's was an actual diagnosis) like turning on your porch light and the neighbor's refrigerator explodes. Meaning the "wiring" was re-routed and could be put back or put forward in less than a millionth of second. Considered that at least half your neurons are more on the multi-megabit processor level per neuron. they kind of underestimated it. Computers at the time had moving parts. The synapses between neurons, a bio-electric chemical circuit, can fire too fast, too slowly or not at all. So many other neural disorders start and end on those same circuits and it's usually different from ADHD to Schizophrenia to PTSD mostly in the relative sizes of the neural misfires and where on the brain and spine are affected most. I forgot the word "chemical" not far back THREE times before I got it right. My handwriting is a rowdy mess partly because I write so much slower than I think. Typing closes a little bit of the gap, but if I'm also writing an original sentence, like this, that adds another possible "short circuit" and my speech is very much like it. There's a math method called The Mandelbrot Root Set of fractal equations where a number divided or multiplied by the same fraction has a pattern down to a vanishing point and outward to infinity, and it's the same pattern either way. It works for network connections bug hunting. Since no system is perfect, there will be imperfect transfers. Just like Autism.

The Neuro-typicals aka Normals have a more secure and faster self-repair function than ours. When I write out my babbling about BioFeedback it's more understandable than me saying it. But maybe a combination of BioFeedback as the carrier, and the nerves as the co-processors and the synapses as the internal regulators and using as the math paradigm the fractals plus quantum math, who knows? My wife had MS, an interruption of nerve signals mostly caused by a thinning of the myelin sheath on a large local area or volume of affected nerves. To the best of my knowledge, Autism throughout the spectrum seems to have a similar pattern of damage. What if it's the Holy Grail of neurology, the Philosopher's Stone.?

A score of 26 is borderline. A score of 32 or above is possible. I don't know if you are or not. I am not a doctor and even if I was qualified to make the diagnoses, I still wouldn't be able to here without any proper evaluation.

Oh my holey holey god...

I just stumbled on this post and decided, just for shits n giggles, that I'd fill out the link Slomo provided.

34 out of 50 I scored. "Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits (Autism)." it says. Interesting, very interesting. I wonder whether this has been my problem all along, and noone has seen it (let alone including myself).

(Heck, I've just noticed there's a spelling mistake in the output I quoted too... I'm very much a patterns person, as I said in my intro way back 6 months ago last year).

I had a heck of a time toilet training, and now I'm having a heck of a time keeping it. I'd rather say something in email, than say it over the phone. I'm a perfectionist, and get _really_ flustered and upset if I can't meet such lofty goals (which sometimes are impossible to meet). I have a bit of an OCD-streak, but not like the "wash hands every couple of minutes" OCD, but things like "the head of this window must be at the same height as the ones on the other side of the building, for symmetry", and "the front door is off to one side, how can I fool my brain into thinking it's centred?" OCD.

Engineering I love it, maths I hate with a passion. I can write (nice? ok?) stories (see "Meredith" in the Stories section here), but absolutely flunked (bottom 20% in the State) in my school exit exams for English. Go figure... I took to "German" language studies really well, but "French" language, I sat in the final exam punching holes in it with my pencil (I was so bored, and so over the language).

I wonder how I can get this more formally tested... hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh* The AAA (Adult Asperger Assessment) out of that ARC link posted earlier had me at 34 for AQ score, and 20 for EQ score... *sigh*

Slomo dear i just managed to find sed test for adults ( And i scored 59 % ) If you answered yes to a number of questions (i got 10 Yes of 17 ) it’s possible that you are suffering from some symptoms of autism spectrum disorder. If you’re concerned about your social or emotional health, print out the results of this screener and take it to your health care professional.

Test https://www.additudemag.com/screener-autism-spectrum-disorder-symptoms-test-adults/

Another thing about the depleted nerve sheath wall... one gets physical sensations of "feeling" the presence of other people, beyond sight and sound. And it spins out of control when you're in a larger group. Especially if one or more are having intense emotions. Being close to two people arguing makes all bad. The discomfort or even pain and dizziness, makes you less likely to join groups. Or initiate conversations. "Thin skinned" is an apt description.

Just thought I'd pop in and say it's been interesting/informative seeing the back and fourth. It's like I haven't even need to say anything really, yet I'm still getting the feedback.

If it helps then youre very welkome and im happy it did :biggrin:

I've got pretty bad OCD and have always been an introvert who has a very difficult time making friends. I am obsessed with dates, facts, and information in general. Last year my psychiatrist informed me not only was I on the Spectrum, but he speculated I had a number of autistic tendencies. I told my wife about it and she said her family had secretly been joking about that for years lol.

The DSM is a taxonomy of conditions for American insurance companies. Asperger's is still a valid diagnosis in other countries. :)

News flach i stumbled over today that Sweden (and i presume rest of EU (incl UK until they have done there brexit ) 20016 aparantly have gone over to sed DSM-5 rules as well based on new development in understanding sed diagnoses

SO just as over in Us we NO longer have separate Autism , Asbergers etc... they are al now under one Autism umbrela (and for me this defenetly explains for the difrent resutls when taking a internationell diagnos test vs a Swedish (i did get some on the Swedish but not enough to be diagnosed as one wheras in the international as i stated im borderline to possible Autism (and in some DEFENETLY i HAVE autism (which to me fits in my perception of al my personal problems and behavior etc... ) & geting a Autism diagnos over here now will be tougher (and some ofthose that earlier got one Autism diagnose would no longer fit the criteria anymore) However those alredy dignosed keep there diagnoses

SO Uk defently also should have DSM rules as SpAzpieSweeTot so acuratly stated

Missy1 said:
News flach i stumbled over today that Sweden (and i presume rest of EU (incl UK until they have done there brexit ) 20016 aparantly have gone over to sed DSM-5 rules as well based on new development in understanding sed diagnoses

Oh -- sorry. I wasn't aware of that.

Missy1 said:
SO Uk defently also should have DSM rules as SpAzpieSweeTot so acuratly stated

I don't think so. The DSM isn't considered as being the bible of mental health conditions that it is in the US. Again, in the US diagnoses are a basic requirement in order to get funding from insurance companies. That isn't the case in the UK.

Here is an example of one article published by the NHS showing how the DSM is more sceptically viewed over here.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-health/news-analysis-controversial-mental-health-guide-dsm-5/

Here's another NHS article discussing the supposed dropping of Asperger's Syndrome from the DSM. To my surprise, Asperger's syndrome is still in the latest version of the DSM and ICD.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-health/aspergers-not-in-dsm-5-mental-health-manual/

Despite the media hype, the revised classifications in DSM-5 will have limited impact on individuals who receive mental health care in the UK, at least in the short-term. Psychiatrists in the UK tend to use the World Health Organisation’s International Classification of Diseases (ICD) system to diagnose mental health conditions, rather than DSM, which is used in the US.

Also, the term ‘autistic spectrum disorder’ (and the concepts underpinning it) have been widely used in the UK for many years. However, in the long-term, it is difficult to predict the potential impact the DSM-5 will have on the future diagnosis and treatment of mental health conditions.

The DSM is broadly based on the classification system published by the World Health Organization (WHO), called the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

The ICD system is used by the UK and other members of the WHO. It allows doctors to look at clusters of symptoms to form diagnoses for all health-related conditions, including mental health conditions.

The current version is ICD-10, and it is ICD-10, rather than DSM, that psychiatrists in the UK predominantly use to diagnose mental health conditions.

everal categories from DSM-4 (including Asperger’s syndrome) will be replaced by a single diagnostic category of autism spectrum disorders in DSM-5. The following disorders will be incorporated under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders:

• autistic disorder
  • Asperger’s syndrome
  • childhood disintegrative disorder
  • pervasive developmental disorder (not otherwise specified)
The press release says that this is to help more accurately and consistently diagnose people with autism. This does not mean that Asperger’s syndrome is being removed from the DSM classification system, only that it is being placed under a single diagnostic category.

Importantly, the DSM-5 is a US publication, so its main impact will be in the US where clinicians use the DSM-5 to diagnose mental disorders.
Clinicians in the UK predominantly use the ICD-10 system to diagnose mental disorders, while the DSM classification system is mostly used for research purposes.

Oh -- sorry. I wasn't aware of that.

Me neiher came as complete surprise for me as well (aparantly they added to the grade for diagnoce as Autism and lowerd to some degree for ADHD )

A okey well over here utliest Sweden they seem to have gone to DSM 5 & as far as i know i wasent refereing to the removing of sed diagnos only that there are now being incorporated under same criteria umbrella of autism spectrum disorders. Sorry if i was unclear in my posting. Further more i only made the asumption based on that usely when one country within Eu takes on a certain dignosis tool the rest would do the same i now stand corrected and thank you Tiny for clearing this up for me (and im NO hurt in ANY way shape or form rather greatfull for the corection ( smiling )

- - - Updated - - -

Managed to get a Google translation from Swedish to Englich of sed article from 20016

Psychiatry changes the view of autism and adhd

"Psychiatry's Bible", DSM, has been made about. The old criteria for adhd and autism are about to be replaced by new ones. But what are the differences, and what do they mean to those who already have a diagnosis?

It is not possible to see if anyone has ADHD or autism. Unlike many bodily conditions, you can not take a blood sample to get an answer. In order to diagnose neuropsychiatric disabilities, one looks instead at how an individual behaves and what he / she experiences.
In order for psychiatrists to be able to diagnose, use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM. There are all the requirements to be met to get a certain diagnosis.

- It is often called the psychiatric Bible, it is a collection of all psychiatric diagnoses and the criteria required to fulfill the diagnoses. It gives us who work in psychiatry a common language and the opportunity to diagnose the same way.

So says Adam Helles, a psychologist in child and adolescent psychiatry in Gävle, who also researches autism. In his work, he investigates patients and diagnoses those who meet the criteria for, among other things, adhd and autism. The purpose of diagnosing is that people should get the help and support they are entitled to.

In 2013, a new version of the psychiatric Bible came out. It is called DSM-5 and is slow to be incorporated into Swedish care. 2018 is likely to be based solely on the new criteria for diagnostic purposes.

- What will be the biggest differences for autism in the future?
"It's a whole new think. One has gone from four different diagnoses to one single: autism spectrum state, he sums up.
The four previously separate diagnoses were autism, asperger syndrome, disintegrative disorder in children and atypical autism. The fact that they combine are due to the changing state of knowledge as a result of new research.

"The research of the last 10-15 years has shown that with the old criteria we can find those who are within the autism spectrum, but which of the four diagnoses you make is a bit too random to make it happy.

For example, Adam Helles mentions that it has previously been difficult to distinguish between Asperger's syndrome and high-functioning autism. Since the criteria have been so unclear, the choice of diagnosis has occasionally taken place arbitrarily.
"Whether the diagnosis of asperger's syndrome or autism has been diagnosed has not been much to do with the patient, but instead has been about what a particular doctor or psychologist prefers.

So far Adam Helles believes that the changes are good. The four earlier diagnoses have more similarities than differences, and there is therefore no point in disregarding them.
Already the diagnosis remains

As a consequence of the merger, Asperger's syndrome disappears. However, there is nothing to worry about if you already have a diagnosis.
"All the changes concern how to make new diagnoses. People will not get rid of their diagnosis if you already have one, "says Adam Helles.
According to Adam Helles, the change can still affect the one who has already diagnosed, fixed in another way. When the concept of aspergers becomes less common, it can be harder for the group who today identifies the label.

- We are talking little about the change at the social level. It's a big community, aspie world. There is an empowerment movement that emphasizes the right to be in its own way.

He receives Anne Lönmark at the Autism and Aspergers Association.
"There is some concern not to find its context in the new system. Many with Asperger's syndrome identify strongly with the diagnosis, she says.

Difficult to get autism diagnosis

There is another change in the criteria for autism spectrum states in DSM-5 that have been criticized. Getting diagnosed with autism spectrum states is likely to be harder than getting any of the old diagnoses. Most studies indicate that about 10-20% of those who today receive one of the autism diagnoses would end up using the new criteria.

"DSM-5 is diagnosed with those who have difficulty, but if they are mild, it's not safe to fit in, despite the big impact of everyday life," says Adam Helles.

Does it mean that some can end up next to and do not get the help they need?
- Yes. We have not seen the consequences yet, but the risk exists.

Adhd criteria are fine-tuned

Adhd also updates the criteria in DSM-5. However, the differences will be less than for the autism area.

"For adhd, it's not as overwhelming, but rather fine-tuned. The basic criteria are exactly the same, says Adam Helles.
The "pimples" made are primarily intended to simplify diagnosis throughout life. The previous criteria were focused on children.

- The behavioral examples that existed were in the style of having difficulty sitting down, and instead jumping around. That's the way children with ADHD do. For adults, it may be better

Now again this is for SWEDISH apply only

Well, 39 out of 50. That was interesting.

I'm furry and AB, so I fit right into those groups with this "diagnosis."

Reetok sed test in question again MANY times this past days (one of many symtoms close to and overlappin to both ADHD as well as Autism specrum disorder i get obsessed and cant stop learning ) then check and recheck and then recheck again to make shore it was 100 % clear that i wasent crossing anything wrong and i now am at 33 EVERY TIME Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits (Autism). Cant say im that happy about it BUT again it does explain even more about how i work and so on (i should ad that i also done some others and also score on you DEFENTLY have ASD (sigh ) this does explains ALOT of the rest of my Iccues as well in Reel life (lets keep in mind here that i was first diagnosed with Minimal brain disfunction and to that there is utliest 100 Medical dignosis conected to it among MANY others ASD and apparantly that now is under ADHD. And i aparantly have a whole lot of others conected dignosis usely attached to ADHD to go with this one im afraid AL HIGH score

Edit JUST checked my latest DSM evaluation dokuments and to my surprice it DOES say i DO have significant Austistic traits (Autism) trait as well as significant ADHD traits so that anwers al my qustions reg this subject FINALLY i am dignosed with BOTH Severe ADHD , and Signifikant traits of ADS

Last edited by a moderator:
I am already diagnosed but I took it out of curiousity. 46 out of 50. Wow.

Missy1 said:
Me neiher came as complete surprise for me as well (aparantly they added to the grade for diagnoce as Autism and lowerd to some degree for ADHD )

A okey well over here utliest Sweden they seem to have gone to DSM 5 & as far as i know i wasent refereing to the removing of sed diagnos only that there are now being incorporated under same criteria umbrella of autism spectrum disorders. Sorry if i was unclear in my posting. Further more i only made the asumption based on that usely when one country within Eu takes on a certain dignosis tool the rest would do the same i now stand corrected and thank you Tiny for clearing this up for me (and im NO hurt in ANY way shape or form rather greatfull for the corection ( smiling )

Oh, that's okay -- I realised after I posted that I'd missed/misunderstood the bit where you explained that Aspergers is included in the umbella term ASD. I wasn't really correcting you, as such -- more just trying to expand our collective knowledge! :)

I had an inkling that the DSM wasn't used in the same way outside the US, but the details are hard to pin down. It's really interesting to learn more about this subject and see how things are different in other countries. :thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. I took the test again. My past anxiety and depression are in check now, so I thought that would make me "less autistic" on that test as quite a few questions relate to social anxiety.

And I got the lowest score I've ever had -- 30. (Previously I was getting ~35 ±3.)

But 30 is still above the threshold for indicating Asperger's. I've mentioned this over the years to a few close friends and family -- and my old therapist -- and their response was always "don't be so silly!".

It's as if I have some strong "Aspie" traits, but not others so much. I'm just wondering how much these tests can be relied upon... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back