Advice for more meaningful conversations with unsupportive SO

DLwithacause said:
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the support. She was actually pretty great about the accident - very supportive. It was the idea of me wearing for protection that she had an issue with…she didn’t feel it was necessary and put the whole thing down to a “one off” you’re right though - it’s easy to take that view when you’re not the one crapping your pants in public.

To be fair we’ve since had a slightly more productive conversation (she brought it up). She acknowledged that she knows her reaction isn’t helpful and she understands that even if she’s uncomfortable with my DL side, she knows she needs to work on her responses. Her main issue was the whole episode and the idea of me temporarily wearing for protection on the walks etc kind of shifted everything from behind closed doors to “in her face”.

So in any case we’ve sort of renegotiated a few boundaries and agreed some basics around how to manage me getting “ready” around the kids and then getting “unready” once I get in. As well as things like easy access to a stash without it being in open view and disposal- which to be honest is all the stuff I wanted to sort out in the first place.

Who knows - maybe we’ll pick the conversation up again but I’m not in a rush to do that and I think it’s best if I just keep doing my thing in private - which I would’ve done anyway if I hadn’t have had the accident.

Anyway - I see the doctor Monday so hopefully will know more then! Thanks for your advice everyone
That’s good news. Very good news. I would suggest keeping discreet but not totally. Ie, I’d let her see the odd purchase on the family credit card just to show her you’re still a DL and still exactly the man she married if that makes any sense.
Hopefully the doc has some suggestions. Maybe a colonoscopy or a food diary for starters.

Back