ronnieM

Professional Baby, 24/7
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
scentstrip.png
When buying diapers from ABUniverse, there is an option to get them scented. Selecting this means that the staff there will include "scent strips" in each sample or pack of diapers you buy, which have a strong baby powder smell that seeps into the diapers in the pack from the time it's added to the time you excitedly open it. But, some would argue that $12 may be a little much for just a smell, may want non-ABU diapers to have the soothing fragrance, or (like me) wish they could buy this smell and put it everywhere they possibly can.

In any case, I come bearing a solution-

Make your own scent strips!

But first, we must know how they are actually made by ABU themselves.
I do not work at ABUniverse (yet ;)) , so here is my theory for as to just how they make scent strips-

1. Buy A4 (8.5"x11") paper (80lb. or 100lb. weight) with a dull/matte varnish
2. Print pattern
(telling you to not be so much of a baby as to put the strip in your mouth) onto said paper using a laser printer
3. Cut the paper into the strips, 11 per page
4. Dip the strips into a diluted solution of baby powder fragrance oil
5. Tada! Scent strips.

So yeah, that's how ABU (probably) does it, but how can you do it too?
You don't necessarily need fancy paper, printing, nor a guillotine paper cutter, as those are just for cute looks and won't alter the effects of the strip. Functionally, all can be done with one or two cheap purchases.

1. Decide on what type of paper you will use. Standard printer paper is weighted 20lbs, construction paper is about 65lbs, and ABU uses somewhere between 80lb and 100lb paper.

2. (Optional) Download the scent strip sheet and print it onto the paper of your choosing. Laser printers are preferred as it is harder to make toner "bleed", but an inkjet will work too if you have one. It should be harder for oils to mess up the text since the ink is water-soluble. If you want to make sure the strips are authentic in size, make sure that margins/resizing are disabled. This image is already to-scale. If you are using 20lb (standard) printing paper, I recommend printing
this sheet instead. Since standard paper is a bit thin and you probably don't want all of the scent to evaporate immediately, this sheet allows you to fold each strip accordion-style (like a Z) and tape (or glue, as staples may accidentally tear into a diaper if you're not careful) so that each strip is thick enough to hold onto the fragrance for longer.

3. Cut the strips out. If you printed the strip sheet out, cut between each strip. If you are using plain paper/construction paper, cut crosswise and try to make strips that are 8.5"x1"- It should make 11 of them.

4. Add baby powder oil to a few strips to find out how much is scenting is enough. The stuff can be very strong, so be careful with how much you start with. A little can go a VERY long way. If you know how to dilute the oil enough so that you can dip entire strips into it, go ahead and do that. It's how ABU does it, and I don't know how to. It shouldn't make a huge difference though for the end result. As for the oil, I personally love this stuff, but if you can find another "baby powder essential oil" that smells very closely to ABU's, go ahead and use it. What exactly does ABU use in their secret formula though?
I asked and got the response I was expecting, that being that it's a formula and it's secret. Don't say I didn't try. :p
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Mr-Krabs-secret-formula-Plankton.jpg

5. Again, TADA! You now have scent strips and are able to put them in anything you want. Unscented diaper packs, check. Your diaper drawer, check. Your mouth... I don't blame you for not being able to read what it says on the strip, but I would hold off.
2g28p6.jpg

Hopefully this helps the people who wish they could make/buy ABU's scent strips for whatever reason they want them for. Feel free to post your results and/or tips/tricks if you happen to find something that works better! You can even make your own designs for scent strips if you wish- here are some resources and templates.

☺️

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: BabyWyrm, Iron, TigerDL and 9 others
Excellent guide

I just put a few drops of the baby powder oil directly on the diaper. I could probably put a few drops on some index cards and just stuff those in a pack though

To me the scent strips are the second best thing about buying from ABU (apart from the diapers themselves).

But AFAIK there is not a 'baby powder fragrance oil' out there that smells anything close to it, or to traditional 'baby powder' smells.

I have the mommie's scents baby fresh scent, but it's just not as good.

If anyone can make an oil that smells like ABU's scent, sell it and TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

Reactions: VintagePampers1990
The ABU scent strips keep their scent for a good long time; long enough for me to use them to deodorize my camera gear.

Chosen said:
I just put a few drops of the baby powder oil directly on the diaper. I could probably put a few drops on some index cards and just stuff those in a pack though
Be careful, some oils can dissolve the adhesive that keep nappies together.

That said I was thinking about putting some diluted oils in a pray bottle of some kind and giving that a try.

Reactions: KrankyPants and Chosen
Made some, the only problem being that my printer is acting up and somehow printing everything slightly larger than it should be. Everything I did on the sheets was correct, as I measured both IRL and in GIMP down to the millimeter, so I just have to figure out what's wrong with the printer. Despite this, they still work fine- the size only impacts whether or not you want them to be exactly the same.
20210811_131751_001.jpg
20210811_133227_001.jpg

• Love
Reactions: KrankyPants and Chosen
PinkAndLittle said:
Be careful, some oils can dissolve the adhesive that keep nappies together.

That said I was thinking about putting some diluted oils in a pray bottle of some kind and giving that a try.
I wouldn't worry, it's literally just 2 or 3 tiny drops on the outside

Ooo, that's also a great idea

ronnieM said:
Made some, the only problem being that my printer is acting up and somehow printing everything slightly larger than it should be. Everything I did on the sheets was correct, as I measured both IRL and in GIMP down to the millimeter, so I just have to figure out what's wrong with the printer. Despite this, they still work fine- the size only impacts whether or not you want them to be exactly the same.

View attachment 60855
Hah! The Baby Powder oil you show is the exact same one I have

DloverUK said:
To me the scent strips are the second best thing about buying from ABU (apart from the diapers themselves).

But AFAIK there is not a 'baby powder fragrance oil' out there that smells anything close to it, or to traditional 'baby powder' smells.

If anyone can make an oil that smells like ABU's scent, sell it and TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

I use:
Amazon.com - Eternal Essence Baby Powder Oil

Smells exactly like ABU scent strips

There's also sprays, scent pouches..etc

Last edited:
Johnsons baby cologne. Just 5 drops scents diaper nicely. It has a baby smell.
Available at Walmart and Target

Edit: the size discrepancy between the apparent and printed sizes of the sheets may be the difference between Letter and A4 sizes of paper. Oops. I should make a revised version soon.

I know I’m late on this but couldn’t you just rub baby powder on the diaper? The talcum powder I use rubs in extremely well and virtually leaves no trace evidence besides the smell got 6 bottles of 200g for £9 great stuff.

Another option is Loves Baby Soft, this was an iconic perfume fragrance from the 70's (that used to drive me insane if I came across someone wearing it).
Still on the market, Walmart sells it. Powdery, and for some like me maybe nostalgic

Yeah, why not just use actual baby powder or spritz some cologne right in there?

DloverUK said:

There is essential oils that are baby powder scented tht smell just like it I have some off etsy

I use the Johnsons Baby Cologne, I got it from amazon for like a dollar a bottle. I ordered like 10, so I am set for a long time. Oddly I don't see it for sale anymore online. https://www.johnsonsbaby.com/baby-products/johnsons-baby-cologne
I also have a bottle of that baby powder scent. I use it in a large spray bottle.

DloverUK said:

Careful, scents can be copyrighted so that is some shady territory unless you can prove it is not the same product.

• Wow
Reactions: TigerDL
tykeboy123 said:
There is essential oils that are baby powder scented tht smell just like it I have some off etsy

I have some also. It's not bad but it doesn't smell exactly like baby powder (and it's just not as good as ABU's scent, quite frankly)

A local carwash (PDQ) has a pump spray air freshner called baby powder. It is STRONG! I am a maintenance mechanic at a local hospital. Just keeping it in my tool box made the top drWer smell like baby powder. Also, in healthcare envirnments emoyess still have to wear masks( uuugh). Anyhow, just one TINY drop makes my mask smell like baby powder for days. I only tried it one and ended up taking it home as the mask I tried 1 drop on made my area of the maintenance shop smell like baby powder( not MAJOR) but too much in my opinion.

I have put a small bit of baby powder scent oil in out container of fabric softener, it was amazing how good the laundry smelled, put a fresh onsie on and ahhhh 😉

Back