About the "right" way to double diaper

DiaperedCassie

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Throught the years I have given double-diapering many shots, most of them ending in rotund (even if very fun) failure. The reason I'm making this thread is not necessarily to instruct, as I'm still a newbie of sorts myself, but to share my experiences with double-diapering, from my earliest frustrations, to finally finding howw to make it work for my purposes.

Allow me to preface this making those purposes clear: I only wear diapers for play, which for me does not include infantilism, and almost always includes messing and multiple wettings. Even more occasional are my exceptionally naughty extended diaper wearings, where I can spend long hours in the same diaper, and sometimes try to beat my personal record.

Now, when I first attempted this, I only put an absorbent mat under me when the diaper was saturated, but this of course limited mobility, and the things i could do while wallowing in my mess. So I moved on to to make-shift second diapers made of simple, but thick, towels. This meant quite a bit still leaked, I wetted everything I sat on, and I was ovbiously unable to go out for even a bit.

It is here that I tried double-diapering for the first time. Now, by this point I was much more familiar with the online messing and wetting world than with the much more extense and responsive diaper community, so I went into it completely blind. This means I simply put one diaper on top of the other, and thought they would just do their job in order. Silly me.

For the completely uninitiated (or those who never wondered why the leaks happenned), the reason this doesn't work is actually quite evident if you ever reflect caefully about your leaks. Of course, we don't do that, because when they happen we are either panicking or feeling really horny, as we did it on purpose (Hi 🙃). See, leaks almost always occur through the leg bands, or the waist if you are in the right position. It actually takes quite a bit more work to leak them through the fabric.

The result of this is that instead of flowing to the most absorbing area of the second diaper, the pee will instead go to the leg/waistband of that diaper as well, resulting in very quick leaks despite the core of the outer diaper remaining dry. The solution you will likely find on the internet will likely be the one I found: cut slits in the outermost layer of the inner diaper, in order to allow the liquid to scape it quickly into the second one. I attempted this as soon as I read it, and the result was quite disappointing. Very little changed,with the outer diaper barely wet, and most of the pee still scaping through the legbands when the first diaper saturated. Of course, I was doing something wrong, it just wasn't spelled out in online forums.

With time, I have exerimented with all sorts of things, and found there are two basic measures one is to take in order to achieve at least a satisfactory double diapering: 1) Making the slits in the inner diaper quite small, with only 1.5 cm in leght, give or take, and amking many of tem, almost covering the main padded area front to back. 2) Making sure the outer diaper is one size larger than your actual size. In retropect, I should have figured that one out earlier, but I like wearing my diaper a bit loosely before messing, so that I can "reposition" the mess to my liking, and only then tighten it up. I solved this by wearing both of them losely and tightening them both after messing. As aditional precausions, never cut the inner diaper through the inside, and you do not wwant contact with the diaper chemicals, which are all sorts of hazardous. You also may want to add some absorbent to the legbands just in case. Anything that can "seal" it will do, in my experience. A cut-up piece of absorbent pad does it for me, but I have tried many things, incluing additive tape and tying them with thread.

Other than that, I am still something of an amateur in all of this. I have been into diapers for over ten years, but only in the last 6 I have been truly experimental and at my leasure. I am sure many here have a lot more experience and may laugh at my makeshift meassures, but that is part of the reason fothis thread. I would ike to hear from people who have tried it, either succesfully or unseccesfully, and share their stories and knowledge for the younger DLs among us :)

When I double diaper I cut slits of 2 to 3 inches in length every 3 to 4 inches in the plastic backing of the diaper that is on the inside.
I use the same size diapers for both.
I have no problem with leaks until the outside diaper is soaked.

Reactions: Ortler and princesxx
I had tried double diapering with lesser diaper brands. Even with cutting the slits it is still problematic. And if you're doubling up a lot it makes far more sense to just take double the cost of each diaper and buy a premium diaper in that price range. You will actually get more than double the total absorbency before leaking, and likely more than double the time too.

Double diapering is an art. You have to pull it off just right for it to work properly.

Depending on your situation, it’s honestly just easier to add a booster or two for increased absorbency. As much as diapers have evolved, boosters have as well, sometimes even coming close to doubling the absorbency of a given diaper. They can add a decent amount of bulk too.

PaddedBrony said:
Double diapering is an art. You have to pull it off just right for it to work properly.

Depending on your situation, it’s honestly just easier to add a booster or two for increased absorbency. As much as diapers have evolved, boosters have as well, sometimes even coming close to doubling the absorbency of a given diaper. They can add a decent amount of bulk too.

Thing with boosters is that they go on top of the most aborbent part of the diaper. They serve me well to make the outer diaper last longer, but actually make the problem of the pee overflowing through the bands worse if I place it in the inner diaper. Messing also seems to affect their performance, as it creates a layer between it and the liquid.

DiaperedCassie said:
Thing with boosters is that they go on top of the most aborbent part of the diaper. They serve me well to make the outer diaper last longer, but actually make the problem of the pee overflowing through the bands worse if I place it in the inner diaper.

So true... the best use of a booster I've seen is to remove them when saturated, instead of changing. I've read accounts from numerous IC on the forums here that do that to make it through the day without having to change their diaper at work. Soak the booster in the morning, remove it at lunch, and start the afternoon with a mostly dry diaper to handle things until it's time to go home.

Reactions: Ortler and DiaperedCassie
If your reason for doubling up is absorbency less frequent changes, I would suggest boosters - as others have said. Usually doubling is done for other reasons, like increasing thickness or being able to stay in a very wet diaper without leaking.

Many people enjoy the wet feeling, but need to prevent leaks. An inner diaper gives them the wet feeling and an outer diaper catches the leaks. I usually see these people either avoid cutting slits altogether or using a wartenberg wheel to poke tiny holes all over the inner diaper. The tiny holes will only allow excess moisture to pass into the outer diaper when the inner diaper is beyond it's saturation point.

As for the thickness, doubling up has always been the best way to get a particularly bulky diaper. Stuffers are designed to absorb a lot of fluid, but aren't very thick when dry.

Back