A message for anyone who is nervous about airport security

IncognitoAura

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey all,

I’ve seen both on here and on Reddit people being nervous of wearing pads / diapers through airport security. (I’m incontinent so don’t really have a choice other than a catheter which I hate xD). I’ve flown 2 times this week both times have been wearing a mega max and it was usually quite wet by the time I got through,
1) don’t be worried about metal detector scanners, they don’t pick up anything and it’s all fine :) (Heathrow T5 use them).
2) as for the MM wave scanners (Geneva for me) they flagged it but I just explained with a letter from my doctor about my incontinence, they were very professional and kind, one thing to note for my fellow peeps with ASD, I also had one of the sunflowers lanyards as it’s helpful for me to board early etc and they have contact details in case of a meltdown etc, these are worth getting as it allowed them to know before the case that I had issues so they were able to handle it well, hope this helps anyone who is nervous :)

That’s all from me :)

IncognitoAura ✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Etienne, GatoChihuahua and 2 others
I've traveled with diapers through security
No letter from my doctor if it's brought up (which is rare) I quietly explain and I go on my way.
Never been an issue after explaining it.

Reactions: Diprs2, GatoChihuahua and Jorelaxed
That’s amazing as I clicked the thread because I’m flying next week with a carry on bag and didn’t want to take a nappy through it, so I was going to wear through security out and inbound. Guess which airport… Heathrow T5! Thanks!!!

Reactions: Diprs2, GatoChihuahua and Magicalgirl101
urologists here don't give a note for incontinence, they say it's not needed (without thinking of outside the EU).
So far I never had issues but I can't enter the full body scan anyway because of my CGM. So I then ask for a manual pat down.

Reactions: Diprs2
Saint said:
That’s amazing as I clicked the thread because I’m flying next week with a carry on bag and didn’t want to take a nappy through it, so I was going to wear through security out and inbound. Guess which airport… Heathrow T5! Thanks!!!
hiya, glad to hear this helped :) I love flying ( even have a sim built in my room!) so it was quite a blow when i became IC as i found it too stressful going thru security. i always have spares in my bag as sometimes i get a bit carried away in the BA first lounge with the free booze lmao and need to change on the plane ( that's a pain on the short haul fleet like a320s or a319s) it wasn't an issue at all they didn't look twice at my bag with IC stuff but my laptop bag was flagged probs due to 2 laptops and vape cartridges (I forgot to put them in the little plastic bag oops :/ . The security ppl were rlly nice and while looking through the laptop bag chatted and i qoute " respected the drip" xD. but ye they didnt look thru the bag with spares. Happy travels!

TLDR: the main point of the msg is not to worry about carrying diapers in a bag as they don't really care, I see from Ur Profile Ur not IC ( really sorry if I'm wrong please do correct me if that's the case :) ) but u can always say its for medical issues and they wont care at all :)

winterheart01 said:
urologists here don't give a note for incontinence, they say it's not needed (without thinking of outside the EU).
So far I never had issues but I can't enter the full body scan anyway because of my CGM. So I then ask for a manual pat down.
i went privately and insisted on a note as i was paranoid ( may have had a small meltdown when they said no the first time thanks ASD xD)

winterheart01 said:
urologists here don't give a note for incontinence, they say it's not needed …
Hi Winterheart,

This might be the opinion from urologist - but it’s not fully the truth. In fact you do not need any medical attests for the airport security / TSA (exeptions are liquids that may needed for catheters and like to take on board) how ever - you need such an attest if you like to use the free extra luggage policy’s that airlines offer for people with disabilities. This is really helpful if you decide to take parts of your supplies with you.

I fly a lot ...I'm incontinent. Been through TSA so many times been in every conceivable condition wet dry soaked and unfortunately a couple times messy ... I swear the stress of travel just sets my ibs off anyways never really had issues other than they tend to flag my carry-on because of the wipes... Yup seriously went through in a soaked and slightly messed mega max and they checked my carry on because of the package of adult wipes....they could see the moisture in a package and it flagged it .... I have been through it all with TSA and it's never been more than a small inconvenience and on top of that they have always been very professional and a few times very funny and polite and apologetic. I don't even worry about it anymore.
And I use the extra free checked bag for medical supplies all the time and have never been asked for a dr.note.
I used to beet around the bush when asked what was in the bag but I have found being very direct and as matter of fact about it is way simpler...when I tell them I need to check a bag of medical supplies under there free bag policy and they ask what's it I reply with I'm fully incontinent and that's my supplies call it an oversized diaper bag. And bam that's it never had them even ask for proof or look in the bag. I honestly think people who are getting ready to fly make a bigger deal about it in there own mind than the actual reality of the situation...
That's my 2 cents
The most embarrassing/stressful thing is a leaky diaper while flying....yeah and not being able to do a dam thing about it because of severe turbulence... I wrote about that whole experience on here somewhere but even then the airline staff was helpful and very kind. So quit worrying about your diapers and keep traveling 🤙👍 and if it applies to you .... Fuck IC go live life wearing a diaper and living is better than shutting down and hiding. I have taken my life back and traveled many places...yes being fully incon presents challenges but nothing severe!

Reactions: Diprs2, Teddy02, IncognitoAura and 1 other person
mickdl said:
Hi Winterheart,

This might be the opinion from urologist - but it’s not fully the truth. In fact you do not need any medical attests for the airport security / TSA (exeptions are liquids that may needed for catheters and like to take on board) how ever - you need such an attest if you like to use the free extra luggage policy’s that airlines offer for people with disabilities. This is really helpful if you decide to take parts of your supplies with you.
Not every airline offers or respects this service, the TSA is airline independent here.
But yes, we both said that the Note is not needed, doctors here also value patient medical privacy above all. I couldn't even get a note for my diabetes for the insurance....doc said "that's none of their business".

But for TSA i do have a note for my diabetes. But they never asked for it

I always try to change as close to getting in the security line as possible. I don't want to be wet when I go through security just in case they get suspicious about liquids being in a diaper and not an approved 3.4 oz bottle.

They have never said anything or given me a hard time about wearing, but I did have some trouble with my bag being opened and my diapers being very visible in a crowded security checkpoint.

I had bought a bottle of duty-free rum from a shop at the airport, but the store didn't put it into an appropriate bag. The security women told me I would have to put the bottle in my carry-on bag and then check it. Before I could tell her no thanks and I that would rather just throw the stupid bottle away, she straight up opened my carry-on exposing multiple abena M4s and goodnites bedmats. There were definitely some whispers from the people around me, and one woman even gave me a very sympathetic look. The TSA agent was very polite and professional, but I really wish she had not opened my bag so publicly like that. I haven't bought duty-free since, and probably never will again.

I recommend packing your luggage as discreetly as possible in case they do a random search or try to be helpful and just embarrass the hell out of you.

Last edited:
Saint said:
Don't worry about taking them through airport security. Trust me the don't want to stick their hands in a carry on bag to feel disposable diapers. I have been flying for years and eventually the security systems know that a person has handicapped needs. They don't even bother.

Raven801 said:
And I use the extra free checked bag for medical supplies all the time and have never been asked for a dr.note.

This is interresting - so it seems to be different from country to country and airline. I know it only from Eurowings - here form must be filled out and submitted at least 72 hours before departure and must be accompanied by a medical certificate not older than 2 weeks.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Raven801
This really only helps with flights in the US, but the absolute best way to make TSA a non-issue is to get TSA Pre-Check. No full body scan that will potentially show a wet diaper. Much faster lines. Easily the best $78 I’ve spent.

But even without it, its not a big deal. Before I got pre check I flew plenty of times without incident. I usually tried to put a dry diaper on before, but some lines are too long and that doesn’t last long. Only once did they ask, I told agent it was a diaper, not a big deal. Only slightly embarrassing. You really don’t need doctor notes, they don’t care why you are wearing a diaper.

As for carrying diapers, that is even less of a problem. They are not metal. They don’t cause problems. They won’t stop you because they think you might have a diaper.

Last time I went through TSA and they were asking questions was about my SCUBA regulator being carried on and what it was. Supervisor stopped the guy and laughed at him, said he obviously wasn't there when they had a big group on a dive vacation come through otherwise he would have recognized it all.

AnalogRTO said:
Last time I went through TSA and they were asking questions was about my SCUBA regulator being carried on and what it was. Supervisor stopped the guy and laughed at him, said he obviously wasn't there when they had a big group on a dive vacation come through otherwise he would have recognized it all.
Been there lol

Ha, I’m feeling so smug! A friend told me yesterday about a flight he got on. Soon after take-off the seatbelt sign came on and he was desperate for a wee, but was told that he may not leave his seat and if necessary he would jus have to wet his pants (which he did). I explained to him that being incontinent had it’s advantages!!! I fly half way round the world twice a year. I get patted down because of a new hip and knee sets off the machine, but they never comment on the nappies. I did get my bags inspected recently but I think she was more interested in my teddy bear who always travels with me than the Tykables cammies I had with me. I change on board especially for a night flight and carry my nappy through the plane in sight but nobody is interested or even notices. I think maybe as we get older we get more pragmatic and comfortable about these things.

Back