24 hour urine sample

Pino

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have to do a 24 hour urine sample for my visit at the clinic tomorrow. I got no containers in advance, so i decided to buy 10 pieces of 2000ml urine-bed-bags to drain it with a catheter. Looks like i will end between 6000ml and 8000ml complete.

Has anybody done this before? I am not sure what they want to look for. Nobody told me.

Reactions: Edgewater
Nope (*scratches head*). I’m not even sure how I would accomplish that short of a catheter and some careful pouring skills.

Reactions: Pino and Edgewater
I had to have a 24 hour urine sample to test for heavy metals in my system due to working around hazardous martials the test was to for the purpose of establishing a baseline. I was given a gallon container to use, I told them that I pee more then a gallon a day and they said no ever does .. i assured them that I would and they gave me another jug .. I submitted a gallon and a half for 24 hours ,,they were surprised by the amount.

Last edited:
yes, I had to do a 48 hour sample for kidney stones analysis. But they should have provided you with a container. Then they just take a sample out of it and discard the rest. I guess it gives them an average of the time.

If you have an order for a 24 hour urine test, you may have to pick up the container at the lab that has the order. We order 24 hour urine labs for our patients, and they need to pick it up at the lab.

• Thinking
Pino said:
Looks like i will end between 6000ml and 8000ml complete.

Has anybody done this before? I am not sure what they want to look for. Nobody told me.
That's an insanely amount of urine. It also means your liquid intake is that large.
Normal would be between 2000ml and 3000ml.

Don't know why they want this.

I also have never heard of such a high volume (24 hour) sample.
Please, never leave the Doctor's office without a full understand of what any test is for.
More and more medical groups are going to online medical files for its clients as a means of allowing them to review the post visit notes and results of tests. Check if your group has such and sign-up if they do!!
Great information from other members above and at least some idea as to what the test maybe targeting.

I've done several 24 hour tests, and typically void over 6000ml. Your sample should be stored in the fridge. I realize you are not in the USA, but they still should have given you containers, as the containers are brown to prevent chemical changes due to light. (Like green bottles are used to prevent degradation of red wine and olive oil.)

The test is done primarily to assess kidney damage.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
From John Hopkins https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/24hour-urine-collection
A 24-hour urine collection helps diagnose kidney problems. It is often done to see how much creatinine clears through the kidneys. It’s also done to measure protein, hormones, minerals, and other chemical compounds.

Conditions that can cause kidney disease include:
  • Diabetic nephropathy. This happens when someone has uncontrolled diabetes. It causes high levels of protein (albumin) in the urine and can lead to kidney damage.
  • High blood pressure. Abnormally high blood pressure can lead to lasting (permanent) kidney damage.
  • Lupus nephritis. Lupus is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the kidneys and damages them.
  • Frequent urinary tract infections.
  • Prolonged urinary tract blockage.
  • Alport syndrome. This health problem causes vision and hearing problems, as well as progressive scarring of the kidneys. The syndrome is passed down through families.
  • Nephrotic syndrome. This health problem has several different causes. Symptoms include protein in the urine, low protein in the blood, high cholesterol levels, and tissue swelling.
  • Polycystic kidney disease. This health problem causes the growth of many fluid-filled cysts in the kidneys. This makes the kidneys larger. Over time, it takes over and destroys working kidney tissue.
  • Interstitial nephritis or pyelonephritis. This is an inflammation in the small structures in the kidney. It’s often caused by infection.
  • Screening for preeclampsia in pregnancy. Preeclampsia is a dangerous health problem that sometimes occurs in pregnancy. It causes high blood pressure and can lead to organ failure.
  • Kidney stones (nephrolithiasis). Kidney stones form because of an imbalance of minerals, salts and water in the urine.
There may be other reasons for your healthcare provider to recommend 24-hour urine collection.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
From Mount Sinai Hospital https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/tests/urine-24-hour-volume
You may have this test if there are signs of damage to your kidney function on blood, urine, or imaging tests.
Urine volume is normally measured as part of a test that measures the amount of a substances passed in your urine in a day, such as:
This test may also be done if you have polyuria (abnormally large volumes of urine), such as is seen in people with diabetes insipidus.

Reactions: Edgewater and Pino
When my gp ordered this test we told him that it wasn’t all going to make it in the jugs. I filled nearly three 2500 ml jugs and weighed 2500 ml worth of diapers. They are just testing the urine for osmolality probably. Turns out that10L of urine production will definitely get you referred to an endo for diabetes insipidus.

Hi Guys, i ended up with 6600ml for 24 hours and took five bags of urine to the clinic. The nurse was completely shocked and said they can not handle it this way. They need one tiny sample of it, but mixed, like todderhr said. "Well, use a 10l container than and i will do the refill." was my answer, but they had nothing like that. The nurse used a trash can, not joke, to refill / decant (?) and took the sample.
I got this kind of sample-syringe for the next time. I should have known this, this is ridiculous and would have spared me a lot of work.
They will look for some kind of proteins and took a lot of blood samples wither, the talk with the doctor is next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnePiece and Edgewater
rothpirate said:
When my gp ordered this test we told him that it wasn’t all going to make it in the jugs. I filled nearly three 2500 ml jugs and weighed 2500 ml worth of diapers. They are just testing the urine for osmolality probably. Turns out that10L of urine production will definitely get you referred to an endo for diabetes insipidus.
I already got that diagnosis, my first appointment with an "endo" is in July.

Pino said:
I have to do a 24 hour urine sample for my visit at the clinic tomorrow. I got no containers in advance, so i decided to buy 10 pieces of 2000ml urine-bed-bags to drain it with a catheter. Looks like i will end between 6000ml and 8000ml complete.

So I guess you're the one who NEEDS the 8500 ml capacity diaper?

• Haha
  • Love
Pino said:
I hope thing went (will go) well for you!

I had one of those where the doctor took a tour of my kidney. I'm sorry...

Last edited:
todderhr said:
So I guess you're the one who NEEDS the 8500 ml capacity diaper?
I do use some ABDL-diapers already, but i think the 8500ml is over the top for real life usage.

Four wettings is the most i used a diaper until now, this was the Cloudrys and the Betterydry DAY. For some unknown reason the Betterdry DAY is better for me than the normal version, no idea why. I tried the InControl Essentials as well, but they leaked after three wettings, like most diapers did i tested. Perhaps i will try the 8500ml someday, just to see the reality of it.

Reactions: Edgewater and todderhr
Pino said:
I do use some ABDL-diapers already, but i think the 8500ml is over the top for real life usage.

Four wettings is the most i used a diaper until now, this was the Cloudrys and the Betterydry DAY. For some unknown reason the Betterdry DAY is better for me than the normal version, no idea why. I tried the InControl Essentials as well, but they leaked after three wettings, like most diapers did i tested. Perhaps i will try the 8500ml someday, just to see the reality of it.
My wife would make me change way before I got to 8.5L. She has sensitive smell.

I’m not sure I could ever get to that amount. I usually think a diaper is ready to leak and find out the back is still dry. Would love to try one though.

I’m usually in a tena proskin super. They seem to do well at the right price point for me.

I’ve heard betterdry’s are good. Haven’t tried them yet.

Pino said:
The nurse was completely shocked and said they can not handle it this way.
It would seem that someone would have known to instruct the patient in the best manner, but most in healthcare will never see another patient like you or have to contend with the issues you present.
Pino said:
I don't understand why it takes so long to see an endocrinologist. My appointment is at the end of March. I've been waiting for a year.

CheshireCat said:
It would seem that someone would have known to instruct the patient in the best manner, but most in healthcare will never see another patient like you or have to contend with the issues you present.

I don't understand why it takes so long to see an endocrinologist. My appointment is at the end of March. I've been waiting for a year.
lol, I thought he meant endoscophy… endocrinologist seem to have a long wait these days especially for trans HRT

CheshireCat said:

I my Hometown (+100.000) there is one endocrinologist. ONE.

I tried to get an appointment at the capital city of my state in a University Hospital, it is not possible to get an answer from them, i really tried.

This diagnosis and first possible treatment took over two years now and will take at least six more month.
All this could have been done in two weeks, theoretically.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and todderhr
Back