PastelPadding

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Hello!

I have to take medications that have me peeing every hour or so. At night, this gets frustrating because of having to get up to go to the restroom 3 or 4 times a night. I've been resisting actually using diapers because I think that I could become dependent on them and I don't yet know how bad that is. I know that disposables can get expensive and was looking at cloth, but I worry that cloth is going to be such a hassle to keep clean. It feels like I would just have to make starting a load of laundry with used diapers as part of my morning routine. Sometimes, I struggle to make it through a session with a client and sometimes I've had a little pee escape whether I'm awake or sleeping. It's almost like my brain begins to forget to hold the sphincter for a second.

Has anyone made the decision to just give in and rely on diapers? I've tried looking through the threads a bit and I get glimpses here and there, but I would appreciate if I could get some info from those who have done it. Most specifically, I'd want to know what to expect with care and maintenance of cloth diapers to see if that's something I could manage. I'd also want to know if anything happened you weren't prepared for. Like... anything that was actually surprising?

There's a lot of information out there and I feel a little overwhelmed trying to navigate it all. Any help is greatly appreciated! 🙏

Reactions: littlefun and Edgewater
You could try pull ups first ,
Speak to your Dr and it sounds like it’s affecting your health and mental well-being

Reactions: littlefun, Edgewater and PastelPadding
PastelPadding said:
I have to take medications that have me peeing every hour or so. At night, this gets frustrating because of having to get up to go to the restroom 3 or 4 times a night.
With what I know now, I would immediately start with a disposable diaper at night. You can't get a sane amount of sleep like that. I tried pull-ups etc. and tried to avoid it at first, but after wetting the bed a couple of times, my wife was pushing me to do what is necessary to "fix it", even if it meant diapers. Briefs (diapers) are really the only working solution in my mind for overnight. Especially if you have the volume you talk about.

It can get expensive, but I found that I could save money by using TENA Super briefs, with plastic pants. The TENA Super is a cloth-backed diaper so they weep a bit after use, which is why you want to wear plastic pants with them. But the plastic pants get re-used, so this reduces your diaper cost. Walmart for example provides the TENA Super for about the lowest price I know of (at least here in Canada).
PastelPadding said:
I've been resisting actually using diapers because I think that I could become dependent on them and I don't yet know how bad that is.
I don't think you'd have to worry too much about that. Does your medication include Diuretics (water pills), and if so, is this temporary?
PastelPadding said:
I know that disposables can get expensive and was looking at cloth, but I worry that cloth is going to be such a hassle to keep clean.
I tried cloth for a while, but the laundry aspect was too much for me. The initial investment is high, and it requires frequent washes, or at least a diaper pail for storage. Then diapers require hot water and other requirements. Drying can take a long time if you're not able/prepared to hang them on a line outside. So after a couple of weeks, I caved into disposables and never looked back.
PastelPadding said:
Has anyone made the decision to just give in and rely on diapers?
A lot of folks in this incontinence predicament eventually see the light as far as dealing with the problem. Some resist more and others take to it right away. But at the end of the day, I concluded it is better to secretly wear a diaper than to have very public "accidents". And if you later suffer from IBS, it can save your clothing too.
PastelPadding said:
There's a lot of information out there and I feel a little overwhelmed trying to navigate it all. Any help is greatly appreciated! 🙏
There is a learning curve as far as learning about products and what works and what doesn't. Pull-ups might work if your accidents are light during the day, but I would advise against them for night time since they'll leak. As you gain experience, you might start with more protection than you need and slowly work back to less expensive products. That way, you'll save face and gain confidence.

And leave some time for acceptance. For me it took over a year for me to accept that this is part of my life now.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Edgewater, hbic60 and 2 others
PastelPadding said:
Hello!

I have to take medications that have me peeing every hour or so. At night, this gets frustrating because of having to get up to go to the restroom 3 or 4 times a night. I've been resisting actually using diapers because I think that I could become dependent on them and I don't yet know how bad that is. I know that disposables can get expensive and was looking at cloth, but I worry that cloth is going to be such a hassle to keep clean. It feels like I would just have to make starting a load of laundry with used diapers as part of my morning routine. Sometimes, I struggle to make it through a session with a client and sometimes I've had a little pee escape whether I'm awake or sleeping. It's almost like my brain begins to forget to hold the sphincter for a second.

Has anyone made the decision to just give in and rely on diapers? I've tried looking through the threads a bit and I get glimpses here and there, but I would appreciate if I could get some info from those who have done it. Most specifically, I'd want to know what to expect with care and maintenance of cloth diapers to see if that's something I could manage. I'd also want to know if anything happened you weren't prepared for. Like... anything that was actually surprising?

If you're only going to be using the cloth diapers at night you could easily rinse them in the morning and hang them to dry. You’ll only need enough for 3 or 4 nights and those drying would be ready for use. If you choose to launder them 4 night weight prefolds or contours would make a small load. I use Tide powder for my laundry and add Borax because I have a lot of calcium in the form of lime in my water. Then in the first of two rinse cycles I add 1-1/2 cups of white vinegar to remove any residual lime. If not removed the lime will retain residual amounts of detergent which leads to ammonia being formed when urine saturates the diaper. Depending on how heavily you wet you could add a folded terry bath towel for a soaker, as I do, which absorbs very rapidly for flooding and helps prevent leaks when I sleep on my side. One more thing, when you get new cloth diapers they generally come coated with a material called “sizing”. This is to prevent staining in the manufacturing, wholesale, and retail process and must be removed to achieve maximum absorbency. Washing new diapers a few times with a couple of cups of white vinegar in the wash cycle of the first time will remove the sizing and fluff the cotton fibers to make them more absorbent. I’m sure that you realize that you’ll need a few pair of good plastic pants to cover your cloth diapers. Haian from Amazon to eBay have been a good value for me. Protex Medical and Baby-Pants.com also both have good products that I’m using though they are more expensive. Good luck, I hope that you find cloth diapers as comfortable, absorbent, and economical as I have in wearing them 24/7 for my dual ic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and PastelPadding
Ok so as my ic progressed I was in your exact position as it affected sleep the most at first and then came a couple day time drips and then it progressed to the point of struggling during the day ...I spent more time and energy worried we're the nearest bathroom was and the lack of sleep really started taking a negative effect it got so bad that I would get up 6 or 7 times a night sometimes more .I became a zombie and a tired agitated one to boot but as thing got more painful
I finally decided to wear diapers never looked back ...sleep is so important physically and mentally unfortunately my conditions have progressed over the years and I'm now in diapers 24-7 and honestly it's been a relief in some ways as I don't care we're the bathroom is and I'm not stressed out about it. Do what you need to.... And find a good urologist that doesn't diaper shame and live life . That's the best advice I can give .... It's not exactly the path I followed but wish I would have .🤙

Reactions: Zeke, Edgewater, hbic60 and 2 others
parcelboy2 said:
You could try pull ups first ,
Speak to your Dr and it sounds like it’s affecting your health and mental well-being
I'm surviving. Just a bit tired 🙃

slimjiminy said:
I don't think you'd have to worry too much about that. Does your medication include Diuretics (water pills), and if so, is this temporary?
Yes and no, it's for the rest of my life.

Zeke said:
If you're only going to be using the cloth diapers at night you could easily rinse them in the morning and hang them to dry. You’ll only need enough for 3 or 4 nights and those drying would be ready for use. If you choose to launder them 4 night weight prefolds or contours would make a small load. I use Tide powder for my laundry and add Borax because I have a lot of calcium in the form of lime in my water. Then in the first of two rinse cycles I add 1-1/2 cups of white vinegar to remove any residual lime. If not removed the lime will retain residual amounts of detergent which leads to ammonia being formed when urine saturates the diaper. Depending on how heavily you wet you could add a folded terry bath towel for a soaker, as I do, which absorbs very rapidly for flooding and helps prevent leaks when I sleep on my side. One more thing, when you get new cloth diapers they generally come coated with a material called “sizing”. This is to prevent staining in the manufacturing, wholesale, and retail process and must be removed to achieve maximum absorbency. Washing new diapers a few times with a couple of cups of white vinegar in the wash cycle of the first time will remove the sizing and fluff the cotton fibers to make them more absorbent. I’m sure that you realize that you’ll need a few pair of good plastic pants to cover your cloth diapers. Haian from Amazon to eBay have been a good value for me. Protex Medical and Baby-Pants.com also both have good products that I’m using though they are more expensive. Good luck, I hope that you find cloth diapers as comfortable, absorbent, and economical as I have in wearing them 24/7 for my dual ic.
This was perfect and golden. Thank you so much for your effort!

Raven801 said:
Ok so as my ic progressed I was in your exact position as it affected sleep the most at first and then came a couple day time drips and then it progressed to the point of struggling during the day ...I spent more time and energy worried we're the nearest bathroom was and the lack of sleep really started taking a negative effect it got so bad that I would get up 6 or 7 times a night sometimes more .I became a zombie and a tired agitated one to boot but as thing got more painful
I finally decided to wear diapers never looked back ...sleep is so important physically and mentally unfortunately my conditions have progressed over the years and I'm now in diapers 24-7 and honestly it's been a relief in some ways as I don't care we're the bathroom is and I'm not stressed out about it. Do what you need to.... And find a good urologist that doesn't diaper shame and live life . That's the best advice I can give .... It's not exactly the path I followed but wish I would have .🤙
It's been so long since I've slept soundly. I'm really hoping that if I can do this, I will get my energy back!

Reactions: Raven801, Edgewater and Zeke
Assure you have informed your doctor regarding the side-effects you are seeing as it is possible that another may shift the side effects to something more tolerable. I may have missed it, but I am guessing you are dealing with high blood pressure or like heart based medications and those as a group have the same effect.

The basics have been so well covered above as I will only state:
Lack of proper sleep is dangerous and as you have seen, screws with your wake life. You are at that point that it's time to admit that you are medical driven IC and try using diapers and diaper covers!

Reactions: Zeke and NappiedTruckDriver
PastelPadding said:
I'm surviving. Just a bit tired 🙃

Yes and no, it's for the rest of my life.

This was perfect and golden. Thank you so much for your effort!

It's been so long since I've slept soundly. I'm really hoping that if I can do this, I will get my energy back!
Sleeping well can make a big difference....never thought I'd be grateful to wet the bed but sleeping through the night has really helped me physically and mentally. I don't know how to say this so I guess I'll just spit it out ...with being In pain all the time and worrying about accidents day and night and isolating my self and not living not only was I exhausted and tired all the time but the mental struggle was awful... I had a few public accidents a few because of my painful bladder and oab as well as pelvic floor dysfunction but a few from severe IBS that was the worst nothing like crapping your pants while running for a bathroom just to go sit in a stall in panic wondering wtf am I gonna do ? Then try and clean everything up as best you could......it was awful also I wouldn't drink enough and I was always scared to eat ..so I just didn't which really didn't help, it really took a toll and I really struggled with depression and if I'm blunt at several points I seriously planned on how to kill myself lucky for me something always came up and got in the way...sounds messed up but it's the truth. Since I went 24-7 and admitted to myself it was needed and started eating drinking and sleeping and even going out and living again things are better ... Don't go through all that just look at things and figure out for yourself if diapers would be useful and convenient. To me it sounds like nighttime you could definitely be better off and from what you've said daytime might benefit you as well. Maybe just get some decent grape up briefs and go 24-7 for a week and just take a break from worrying about the bathrooms location or dribbles and such and see if it improves your situation. It did mine when I tried diapers and decided to jest take a week off of using the bathroom... I figured I'm wearing diapers and I'm just not going to even try or worry about making it wow what a eye-opening experience for me no more trying to hold it through the pain .. accidents... No worries.. Ibs flair ...no biggie and most of all sweet sweet sleep..omg what a change... I've been down a similar road as you sound like your on and I think I chose the tuffest path but I learned ....best of luck and if I can offer any advice or lend a ear hit me up 🤙

Reactions: Edgewater
slimjiminy said:
I have medicine for treatment high blood pressure (hypertension) is called Chlortalidone. My doctor prescribed me ½ tablets because of dose make me sick. Good for water pill help sodium out of my bloodstream into my kidneys filter make pee. I don’t surprise!

Reactions: Edgewater
Tasmaniandevilpadded said:
I have medicine for treatment high blood pressure (hypertension) is called Chlortalidone. My doctor prescribed me ½ tablets because of dose make me sick. Good for water pill help sodium out of my bloodstream into my kidneys filter make pee. I don’t surprise!
Same for me! Since a heart stroke 2 years ago and according surgery I have to take 5 different pills every day to reduce blood pressure to a normal level and reduce heart beat rate - which works very well, all values went back to an absolutely normal level. Unfortunately 4 of the 5 pills can - as a side effect - reduce continence, and I'm one of the people where this happens, as I developed a combined dribble and urge incontinence. My doc doesn't want to play around with medication as long as I'm not strongly recommend because my blood pressure values and heart beat are at an optimum, and my general fitness improved to a level I didn't have since 20 years - so I rather wear my prescribed protection than risking any trouble with my heart again...

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Edgewater and Pino
Back