New to incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I'll look into getting samples.

Rob110 said:
Matty

Try Dry 24/7's in a medium or and Abena plastic backed also in a medium you should be able to get a couple of samples sent out to you for you to try before ordering a bag or case.
You will find a premium adult diaper will work way better then a smaller diaper.

Once you find the correct fit you will find dealing with bladder issues gets way easier when you have a diaper you can
trust. I would also recommend wearing underwear over the diaper then plastic pants over that this way if you have a small leak the underwear will absorb it and the plastic pants will help keep your pants dry

I have plastic backed abena in medium now

Matty

Did you get level 4 Abena samples ie M4

Yeah I have abena m4

Matt the important thing you need to learn sooner than later is incontinence and diapers are your "new normal".
Life goes on after serious illness or disability and adjusting to that and accepting this new normal is the key to feeling better and getting back to living.

I was young when mine happened like you and had to learn quikly, I was fortunate that I had friends in the disability realm who ensured that I learned the rule of new normal,it has served me very very well over the years.

I was an able bodied firefighter when mine happened it's now some 30 years later and I am disabled in a wheelchair due to rare diseases but each thing life thru at me became the new normal and I rolled with the punches, I have close friends that are psychologists and psychiatrists by trade and training who often wonder why I am not disgusted bitter and depressed over my life,they tell me if people learned and accepted new normal they would not have jobs.

This is early in your life and none of us know what's coming for thev future,so accepting your incon and moving on will be ultimately a great life lesson for you .

You have gotten a lot of combined wisdom from this thread,continue to ask questions and learn but make sure you don't forget to implement a lot of this learning, the greatest friend an incon person will have are ABDL's,they taught me about diapers and wearing long before the Internet or any kind of societal awareness of incontinence ( in the good old days when depend diapers actually where quality products available at the pharmacy,hard to imagine I know) come here often and read even if you have no questions .

Live like there's no tomorrow but learn as if you had forever,somebody said that but I don't remember who!

Tetra said:
Matt the important thing you need to learn sooner than later is incontinence and diapers are your "new normal".
Life goes on after serious illness or disability and adjusting to that and accepting this new normal is the key to feeling better and getting back to living.

I was young when mine happened like you and had to learn quikly, I was fortunate that I had friends in the disability realm who ensured that I learned the rule of new normal,it has served me very very well over the years.

I was an able bodied firefighter when mine happened it's now some 30 years later and I am disabled in a wheelchair due to rare diseases but each thing life thru at me became the new normal and I rolled with the punches, I have close friends that are psychologists and psychiatrists by trade and training who often wonder why I am not disgusted bitter and depressed over my life,they tell me if people learned and accepted new normal they would not have jobs.

This is early in your life and none of us know what's coming for thev future,so accepting your incon and moving on will be ultimately a great life lesson for you .

You have gotten a lot of combined wisdom from this thread,continue to ask questions and learn but make sure you don't forget to implement a lot of this learning, the greatest friend an incon person will have are ABDL's,they taught me about diapers and wearing long before the Internet or any kind of societal awareness of incontinence ( in the good old days when depend diapers actually where quality products available at the pharmacy,hard to imagine I know) come here often and read even if you have no questions .

Live like there's no tomorrow but learn as if you had forever,somebody said that but I don't remember who!

Yeah your right. I was/still am before my incontinence but it's different now because I don't have a choice when/when not to wear.

Is it true that any male who is diapered 24/7 should amputate the family jewels as they don't function after a while due to the heat they get from being constantly on heat of being diapered 24/7?

matty444 said:
Is it true that any male who is diapered 24/7 should amputate the family jewels as they don't function after a while due to the heat they get from being constantly on heat of being diapered 24/7?

what!?
no, there might be reduction in sperm count from the heat or something to that effect but nothing as drastic as total lack of function

Matt, regarding your friends. Sometimes, they need some help and a way of dealing with your condition as well. Sometimes they tease because they do not know what else to do. When I was young, I would simply tell my friends that I have a medical condition that I did not appreciate teasing but... If they saw me with wet pants, it was not intentional and I would appreciate a kind and gentle warning as I may not know I had leaked.

In this day where adult baby and diaper lover is well known amongst the youth, they may think that you are age playing or experimenting. Let them know that this is a REAL medical problem and you would appreciate their help and support by not teasing.

Again as other have suggested. Change often. If you use a booster, change the booster... the diaper is a collection device. You would not try to keep filling a bucket after it was full. you would use another bucket.

shortsub said:
Matt, regarding your friends. Sometimes, they need some help and a way of dealing with your condition as well. Sometimes they tease because they do not know what else to do. When I was young, I would simply tell my friends that I have a medical condition that I did not appreciate teasing but... If they saw me with wet pants, it was not intentional and I would appreciate a kind and gentle warning as I may not know I had leaked.

In this day where adult baby and diaper lover is well known amongst the youth, they may think that you are age playing or experimenting. Let them know that this is a REAL medical problem and you would appreciate their help and support by not teasing.

Again as other have suggested. Change often. If you use a booster, change the booster... the diaper is a collection device. You would not try to keep filling a bucket after it was full. you would use another bucket.

Yeah I can see your point about my friends. I will tell them that my incontinence is a GENUINE medical problem and I want support.

As far as changing is concerned I'm changing every 90-120 minutes.

Matt,

After you find which incontinence products (diapers, boosters, etc.) work best for you, and become accustomed to wearing them, you will be able to change less frequently.

Modern diapers are designed to be worn for multiple "wettings." A barrier cream prevents skin irritation. I usually change after 5 to 6 hours. This saves me both time and money as I use fewer diapers.:smile:

--John
(double incontinent, wearing 24/7, cloth at night)

I thought changing frequently was better than changing after hours. I guess I'm wrong.

matt9615 said:
As far as changing is concerned I'm changing every 90-120 minutes.

If you're wearing M4s changing that often shouldn't be necessary: even when keeping yourself well hydrated a M4 should be able to last you around 4 hours at the very least, or more than that depending on your water intake. 6/8 hours is what a M4 normally lasts me, or 12/14 if boosted (usually overnight).

I'm wearing M4s. I thought it wasn't good for my skin to be sitting in urine that long. I guess I should start changing every 4 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

I still have the problem of peeing while changing my diaper.

matt9615 said:
I'm wearing M4s. I thought it wasn't good for my skin to be sitting in urine that long. I guess I should start changing every 4 hours.

I still have the problem of peeing while changing my diaper.

As long as you use a good barrier cream such as Sudocrem or Desitin you should be fine, I can't remember when I last had a rash and that was before starting to use Sudocrem. Instead of basing changes on time, why don't you just check yourself and change when actually necessary? You'd be going through a lot less diapers that way :)

To avoid dribbling while changing all I can suggest, other than the techniques others have already mentioned of letting some cold air in your diaper to trigger the reflex to pee and having the diaper you're changing into already laid out to minimize the time you spend undiapered, you could use some disposable bed pads to put under yourself when you change, be that on your bed or on the floor, depending on whether you prefer changing laying down or standing. That way if some pee was to escape it would be caught by the bed pad and would not end up on whatever is under it.

quattrus said:
As long as you use a good barrier cream such as Sudocrem or Desitin you should be fine, I can't remember when I last had a rash and that was before starting to use Sudocrem. Instead of basing changes on time, why don't you just check yourself and change when actually necessary? You'd be going through a lot less diapers that way :)

To avoid dribbling while changing all I can suggest, other than the techniques others have already mentioned of letting some cold air in your diaper to trigger the reflex to pee and having the diaper you're changing into already laid out to minimize the time you spend undiapered, you could use some disposable bed pads to put under yourself when you change, be that on your bed or on the floor, depending on whether you prefer changing laying down or standing. That way if some pee was to escape it would be caught by the bed pad and would not end up on whatever is under it.

I have Densin. How often should I check? Hourly? I like the idea of using disposable bed pads. Then if I leak I will leak on to the bed pad and not what's underneath it.

- - - Updated - - -

Using less diapers sounds great.

matt9615 said:
How often should I check?

Myself I can pretty much tell how wet I am without looking, but I guess that comes with time. Normally it's possible to notice how far the wetness has spread by just quickly checking the outside of your diaper with your hand, as the wet part feels different to the touch from dry areas. If that works for you as well, you could casually do that every now and then (a couple of times a hour or something like that?), while if instead you prefer having a visual check I'd say that once every hour or two it should be okay.

quattrus said:
Myself I can pretty much tell how wet I am without looking, but I guess that comes with time. Normally it's possible to notice how far the wetness has spread by just quickly checking the outside of your diaper with your hand, as the wet part feels different to the touch from dry areas. If that works for you as well, you could casually do that every now and then (a couple of times a hour or something like that?), while if instead you prefer having a visual check I'd say that once every hour or two it should be okay.

Wouldn't it be odd sticking my hand down my pants in public? I think for now I'll do both ideas. I'll set an alarm on my phone for two hours and start with a dry diaper. I'll wear black pants incase I mis judge my diaper.

It's pretty easy to know when a change is imminent. You can check for wetness by feeling if the diaper is stiffer or gooey to the touch. You don't have to put your hands in your pants. It's just a quick squeeze as if you're pulling a wedgie out.

If you're that paranoid about leaking, you should try some PUL diaper covers. They are super quiet, and if something does escape the diaper, it will be contained by the diaper cover.

You've experienced wearing diapers before, although the purposes has changed, you could use the same knowledge as before.

matt9615 said:
Wouldn't it be odd sticking my hand down my pants in public? I think for now I'll do both ideas. I'll set an alarm on my phone for two hours and start with a dry diaper. I'll wear black pants incase I mis judge my diaper.

Depending how you do that it's not that obvious, of course you have to choose the right moment and be sneaky and very casual about it. For sure stopping in the middle of the street and sticking your hand down your pants wouldn't be a good way to do that :D Starting with measuring how long a diaper lasts you gives you an idea on how long you have on average before you need to start thinking about changing. Also, dark pants and plastic pants are always good ideas to reduce the risk of embarrassment when wearing diapers out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back