So, anyone planning on watching the total solar eclipse April 8th?

60something said:
Nice photos! What did you take them with? Where I was at in Ohio there was thin high clouds. They really messed up my photos. I did get one with the plasma at 7 o'clock. All my shots came out hazy tho :(
I'm sorry to hear that.

As for my shots, I wasn't using anything special. A Canon EOS R, with a 100-400mm f5.6-8 lens, remote shutter release, and tripod. The ISO was set at 100, with the aperture set at f8 for the partial with a shutter setting of 1/30. Totality was the same ISO with the aperture set at f16 with various shutter speeds.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 60something, BobbiSueEllen and Zeke
BabyTheleste said:
If you haven’t seen one, you can’t really comment. Whilst the sudden darkness precisely at the moment of totality is a big part of it, which follows an ethereal dimming of the light which leaves everything in a monochrome world, it’s not the main attraction.

That’s the view of the sun at totality, or rather the corona surrounding the sun, because you can no longer see the sun. It’s astonishing, and quite unlike any other experience. Last week’s eclipse was my third, and I travelled nearly 5,000 miles (each way) to see it. They are addictive too, and I’m already planning to be in Spain in two years time for the next one.
As I’ve said in another post I did get to see a partial solar eclipse from my front porch although it wasn’t hardly noticeable without wearing the viewing glasses and looking directly at the sun. After looking at the path map I noticed that I was in an area where we were to get a significant percentage of an eclipse so I gave the glasses a try and saw that it was a mere crescent of the sun that was providing our barely reduced daylight conditions here. After seeing some of the videos and photos posted on the internet and on this site I think it would’ve been nice to see if only everyone else and their dog didn’t have the same thought. I’m not big into crowds and traffic jams in rural areas so I talked myself out of going with regrets but they’re not major.

Reactions: nectar0001 and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
Annular eclipses are pretty cool, too! Looks like a BMW headlight. 🥳
You think that’s where they got the design?

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
The world has become real-estate brokers; in fact, in an odd case-in-point, airlines routinely charge more for window seats. Fascism... 🤨
Location, location, location!

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and denimchicken
Zeke said:
As I’ve said in another post I did get to see a partial solar eclipse from my front porch although it wasn’t hardly noticeable without wearing the viewing glasses and looking directly at the sun. After looking at the path map I noticed that I was in an area where we were to get a significant percentage of an eclipse so I gave the glasses a try and saw that it was a mere crescent of the sun that was providing our barely reduced daylight conditions here. After seeing some of the videos and photos posted on the internet and on this site I think it would’ve been nice to see if only everyone else and their dog didn’t have the same thought. I’m not big into crowds and traffic jams in rural areas so I talked myself out of going with regrets but they’re not major.
That's a shame. The difference between a partial eclipse - even a 99.95% partial eclipse, and a total eclipse, is akin to a dry cheese sandwich compared with a slap up four course meal with unlimited drink of your choice. In other words, it's not the real deal - nothing like the real deal.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, denimchicken and Zeke
I have always wanted to see a total eclipse for as long as I can remember. I've seen a lot of partial eclipses, and even 1 annular, but they pale in comparison to a total. There is a huge difference between them. After finally seeing one, I fully understand the reason why some people go to the ends of the Earth to see them.

In my experience, it was so otherworldly. For a time I felt like I was on another planet! Just like the Grand Canyon pictures don't accurately convey the splendor and wonder. It was a truly amazing experience, and I hope to be able to see another one in my lifetime.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zeke, BobbiSueEllen, denimchicken and 1 other person
MeDisneyBaby said:
In my experience, it was so otherworldly. For a time I felt like I was on another planet!
I think that's a very good description. Something happens at that moment of totality that is difficult to describe. I hope you get to see another one.

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, BobbiSueEllen, denimchicken and 1 other person
BobbiSueEllen said:
Annular eclipses are pretty cool, too! Looks like a BMW headlight. 🥳
After only seeing a partial eclipse back in 2017 I was really disappointed. If not for glasses to look directly at the sun, you would have no idea there was an eclipse. Being in the path of totality really makes or breaks the experience IMO.

Is an annular eclipse still bright? Do you need to continue wearing the glasses throughout?

I'm really glad that I got to see the eclipse this year.
For anyone who says "what's the big deal?" Ask yourself if there is anything unique in your life you would be very disappointed to have missed? Like a solar eclipse, these experiences are short lived, and you need to be in the right place at the right time.

Yeah it's not like missing the birth of your child. But you may never have the opportunity to see an eclipse again depending on your circumstances. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
BabyTheleste said:
That's a shame. The difference between a partial eclipse - even a 99.95% partial eclipse, and a total eclipse, is akin to a dry cheese sandwich compared with a slap up four course meal with unlimited drink of your choice. In other words, it's not the real deal - nothing like the real deal.
I think that's a good way to describe it. You're looking at the sun for crying out loud. You must wear the glasses the whole time or else you will be blinded by how bright the sun is. Once the sun is 100% blocked out, you can remove the glasses and look directly at it. It's other worldly.
It makes you wonder what the view looks like from other planets. If you could somehow stand on the surface of Saturn and look up at its rings, I think that would be amazing to see as well.

Reactions: Zeke, BobbiSueEllen and MeDisneyBaby
denimchicken said:
Is an annular eclipse still bright? Do you need to continue wearing the glasses throughout?
The annular eclipse is still hard on the eyes, being (in essence) only partial. Glasses must be worn throughout to view it...but it makes up for that by giving you a very unique view of a thin ring of sun in the sky. And for that, foreplanning is everything, if you, if you want to experience concentricity.

There's still a noticeable temperature drop and certain degree of dimness. But it's still worth chasing. For awhile before the event, I'd considered not making the 4-hour drive from Boise to Winnemucca...but very glad I did. The drive was rather spectacular, too!

denimchicken said:
I'm really glad that I got to see the eclipse this year.
For anyone who says "what's the big deal?" Ask yourself if there is anything unique in your life you would be very disappointed to have missed? Like a solar eclipse, these experiences are short lived, and you need to be in the right place at the right time.
Agreed. My response to the skeptics: "If you have to ask, you'll never know". Unless one takes a leap of faith...a chance, a risk. Skeptics--especially those with a heightened sense of fatalism--are best avoided; like zealots, they lack humor. Life's both too short and too long to endure such tedium.

denimchicken said:
Yeah it's not like missing the birth of your child. But you may never have the opportunity to see an eclipse again depending on your circumstances. Just my thoughts.
Bingo. The sense of wonder is worth pursuing, taking a risk for. Such occasions don't happen often...it's the stuff which gives our lives vitality, happiness, joy...depth, meaning. Every chance to grab a little is worth the time, effort, money invested. It's all a part of hope. It's not unrealistic to be 40 and up with the curiosity of a toddler...I think for that reason alone, toddlers and small children are the noblest ones of all, merely for the way their hope & wonder inspire us all.

Reactions: Zeke, denimchicken and MeDisneyBaby
ade said:
That's why NASA shared a room with ESA in Soho 🤪

I'm guessing that's on the inside side???
😁
No didn't you hear those window seats are in the baggage area the windows even open and fall away. A bit breezy though

• Haha
Reactions: ade and BobbiSueEllen
denimchicken said:
Yes, you are still looking directly at the sun, so unfortunately you do have to keep the glasses on.

Reactions: Zeke, MeDisneyBaby and BobbiSueEllen
IMG_6468.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, ade, Kirisin and 5 others
MeDisneyBaby said:
I'm sorry to hear that.

As for my shots, I wasn't using anything special. A Canon EOS R, with a 100-400mm f5.6-8 lens, remote shutter release, and tripod. The ISO was set at 100, with the aperture set at f8 for the partial with a shutter setting of 1/30. Totality was the same ISO with the aperture set at f16 with various shutter speeds.
Thanks for the details. Man! you were busy!! did you even get to look naked eye?

60something said:
Thanks for the details. Man! you were busy!! did you even get to look naked eye?
Naked-eye view of an eclipse is indescribable...especially with the solar-flare loops you get to see, without any magnification. It's surreal. 🥰

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, denimchicken and MeDisneyBaby
60something said:
Yes, thankfully. I almost didn't though, due to being so wrapped up in taking pictures. I realized what I was doing and stopped to look at it with my own eyes. I was able to catch the last few seconds of the diamond ring on 2nd contact and all of totality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeke, denimchicken, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
MeDisneyBaby said:
Yes, thankfully. I almost didn't though, due to being so wrapped up in taking pictures. I realized what I was doing and stopped to look at it with my own eyes. I was able to catch the last few seconds of the diamond ring on 2nd contact and all of totality.
I got a shot of the second contact slightly later than yours. The high clouds blurred out details bit it was still a pretty cool photo.

60something said:
I got a shot of the second contact slightly later than yours. The high clouds blurred out details bit it was still a pretty cool photo.
Are you able to share it? I'd love to see it.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
A lot of advice beforehand was to focus on the spectacle itself and don't spend too long fiddling with your camera, as you miss the awesomeness of the spectacle. After all, there isn't a shortage of really good quality images in the aftermath of it (as indeed proved here!). So I took a few quick ones with my phone and stood back and enjoyed the majesty of the moment.

Reactions: Zeke and denimchicken
Back