Buying a new washing machine. Asking for your help.

DiaperedCherub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As the thread title says, I'm looking to buy a new washing machine. My wife wants a front load washer. We currently have one but we battle mildew odor. I don't like it. My research is suggesting most front loaders have this problem in common. My wife was looking at a GE model GFW850SPNRS, but I'm leery of some of the reviews stating certain breakdown issues. I want to go back to a top load washer. Those style washers typically don't have odor issues.
Where I'm asking for your help: what type of washing machine do you have? Top load, front load? Brand? Any problems you've had with your washing machine? How long have you had it?
This is a great community that helps each other, and I thought, why not ask in here to get some help or insight. So, thank you my fellow Adiscers for you input and help!

Don't remember our brand, but we bought new about 3 years ago. Top load without an agitator let's you put more clothes in. No issues with it so far and it's survived 2 moves. I'll double check the brand tonight. As for the odors, try to keep the lid open when not in use. I found that helps. We had a front load for about a year, and due to space limitations had to keep the door closed. I think that caused some of our odor issues

Reactions: Jorelaxed
Get a speed queen. They're the best out there, the most reliable and they will last for 30 plus years.

Reactions: BabyWaverly, dogboy, KindaOlde and 4 others
We have a Samsung washer and dryer, and we have been quite happy with them. As far as mildew goes, we do leave the door to the washing machine open, and we have not had any issues with it. Additionally, we do have Wi-Fi adapters for them; the push notifications when they are finished washing or drying are very lovely. They can be connected to Home Assistant if you want more home automation options

contact people in your area who repair them, they can tell you about what brand will have the most repair calls

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Seasonedcitizen
The fewer gadgets the more reliable

• Love
Reactions: Jorelaxed, mistykitty, BobbiSueEllen and 2 others
I will second the speed queen as it looks like a good reliable machine
but I would go with a top loader with an agitater and as few electronics as possible.
the HE machines don't use enough water to properly flush dirt and soap from clothing.

Reactions: bedwetter bobby, arctic and Ecchi231
I have a top loader it’s 54 years old , I have friends who are on the 3 rd front loader , they get mildew in door seals because they are always wet ,they also have a bad habit of internal leaking , you don’t know it’s happening until it announces it when the rust eats thru the metal skin . My washer has been getting a couple of loads of diapers every other day for like 15 years on top of normal laundry . You can’t go wrong with top loaders .

Third recommendation for Speed Queen. I bought a matching washer & dryer of theirs about a year ago from a local dealer and am extremely happy with them. They are quiet, wash & dry my clothes extremely well (better than the Whirlpool units they replaced), and are built so strong I expect them to last 20-30 years. Top load washer with agitator, both units have dial controls (not digital screens or push buttons). Simple is better and more reliable, and this is coming from a mechanical engineer (me).

Reactions: KendallP and arctic
Front-loaders are worthless, unless it's a laundromat washing machine. I have a friend outside of Edmonton who bought a brand-new Maytag washer-dryer set, had it pro-installed; within a few weeks, the washer quit during a load and he couldn't get it working again, couldn't manually drain the machine, couldn't open it.

He called the dealer...their repair guy was 4 weeks out on the schedule, nobody else could help. The clothes mildewed, rotted...the smell was atrocious by the time a repair guy arrived 4 weeks later. "It was just a control board"...yeah. Okay. Not. My friend lost the clothes, told Maytag to come fetch their POSes and that they'd never have his business again. He got a top-loader with matching dryer...never looked back.

And for Pete's sake, don't buy a ridiculous, gimmicky washer/dryer with Bluetooth alerting. Complicated devices don't simplify life at all...they only fail and complicate your life. Gimmicks...ugh.

• Love
Reactions: IamtheLorax, Jorelaxed, Ecchi231 and 4 others
I bought a GE front loader two years ago and love it. No mechanical issues to date. As far as mildew odor, I have none. I’m proactive though. Every Saturday morning I put two cups of bleach in the tub and start the cleaning cycle. Afterwards, I take a cloth and wipe the door seals down.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
I only buy non electronic ones I have a speed queen washer.
all the new ones I purchased didn't last my mom's efficiency washer top loader the top of drum has a plastic drive gear that most repair service says you need a new transmission. The new ones I have gone through 3 of them .
happy with my used speed queen.

Reactions: Ecchi231, bdale and BobbiSueEllen
Ecchi231 said:
Third recommendation for Speed Queen. I bought a matching washer & dryer of theirs about a year ago from a local dealer and am extremely happy with them. They are quiet, wash & dry my clothes extremely well (better than the Whirlpool units they replaced), and are built so strong I expect them to last 20-30 years. Top load washer with agitator, both units have dial controls (not digital screens or push buttons). Simple is better and more reliable, and this is coming from a mechanical engineer (me).

Yep I totally agree.

dondl2 said:
contact people in your area who repair them, they can tell you about what brand will have the most repair calls

They'll tell you that speed queens are the best and most reliable out there.

Reactions: Ecchi231, bdale and BobbiSueEllen
couple of tips
don't use fabric softener whether it's a front or top load or scent add ons

avoid Samsung washers. They make great tv's but appliances they dropped the ball on.

front load is fantastic but slightly more maintenance. You use a lot less water.
I have an LG set 15+ years old still working well.
I keep the washer door open after each cycle so things can dry
every few months I do a tub clean cycle and wipe out the seals

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Never heard of Speed Queen. I'll look into them. Thanks so far guys on your input. This is a GREAT resource asking in here. Lots of optio s to research and consider.

Reactions: dogboy
DiaperedCherub said:
Never heard of Speed Queen. I'll look into them. Thanks so far guys on your input. This is a GREAT resource asking in here. Lots of optio s to research and consider.

I'm going to warn you that they're expensive. But they're one of those things that you get what you pay for. You're paying for higher quality materials and parts that are machined in the United States, which will be available to purchase for the next 50 years because that company isn't going anywhere.

The useful life of the speed queen is going to be 3-4x longer than anything else you're going to find. Even if you have to buy a used one, it's worth it.

30 years ago that would have been a different story. Washing machines (and all home appliances) were made better. Now they're made of substandard materials with the intention of reducing their timeframe to obsolescence. That's why every washing machine and dryer these days only lasts about 5 years. Maytag, GE, LG, etc. will all fail at or shortly after the 5 year mark for the most part. There are exceptions. But not many.

They're all designed to require repairs that will approximate the cost of a new washing machine or dryer once they get about 5 years old with normal wear. So the incentive is to buy a new appliance. That's better for the company's bottom line, according to the MBAs who care more about revenue than quality.

Speed Queen never followed that path.

There are a few European brands that are also good. But they're nearly impossible to find in the United States and they are very expensive to repair.

not sure why the Samsung hate, my machines are freeking awesome, I have had them for years, and will defiantly buy again when it comes time.

Sprint3473 said:
not sure why the Samsung hate, my machines are freeking awesome, I have had them for years, and will defiantly buy again when it comes time.

Samsung is a corporate giant. They source their parts and assembly from a bunch of different manufacturers (mostly in China for washing machines), and their quality varies significantly from model to model and sometimes even manufacturing run to manufacturing run (among the same model).

The brand is not an indication of reliability from model to model. If you happened to get lucky, I'm happy for you. But I'd never buy one myself because there's no telling what I'd be getting.

Reactions: SparkyDog
Any machine these days worth anything will be made by a Corporate Giant...

Reactions: BBBen and BobbiSueEllen
Back