Does wearing a diaper dominate your life?

geka said:
Really it’s your real name, like on your drivers license?
AKA James Tiberius Kirk! 😁

• Love
Reactions: CptKirk, Edgewater and geka
Similar to what many others have said, diapers don’t bother me; they’re just my underwear with a purpose. Do believe it would be a much bigger problem if I didn’t have a diaper on because I can’t feel when my bladder is full and the only warning I get is the urge accompanying a bladder contraction that I can’t hold. Wet pants, furniture/bedding and the hygienic problems of not wearing a diaper are a much bigger concern than wearing a diaper.

Would love to not be incontinent and not need diapers, but they’re a practical solution for avoiding prescriptions, side effects, or surgery that may not work/have limited success.

Try not to think about it much beyond; “We go to the bathroom for the same purpose everyone else does, we just got to the finish line first and change a diaper versus flushing a toilet.”

• Love
Reactions: Lethdale, Diprs2, AttilaThePun and 4 others
sledder23 said:
Similar to what many others have said, diapers don’t bother me; they’re just my underwear with a purpose. Do believe it would be a much bigger problem if I didn’t have a diaper on because I can’t feel when my bladder is full and the only warning I get is the urge accompanying a bladder contraction that I can’t hold. Wet pants, furniture/bedding and the hygienic problems of not wearing a diaper are a much bigger concern than wearing a diaper.

Would love to not be incontinent and not need diapers, but they’re a practical solution for avoiding prescriptions, side effects, or surgery that may not work/have limited success.

Try not to think about it much beyond; “We go to the bathroom for the same purpose everyone else does, we just got to the finish line first and change a diaper versus flushing a toilet.”
well said. I am done with surgeries and pills. I had a bladder stimulator for about 4 months. It helped a lot. BUT!..... In 4 months I fought 4 major infections and 3 put me in the hospital almost a week. They drew almost 2 quarts of fluid out of that pocket in my hip that the stim went in. 2 times. But the first time it was full of fluid It was a week to 10 after I got it. I was in the hospital with the infection and I turned over in the bed when the nurse was in the room. I did not have on a diaper as I was cathed and I felt the warm rush all over my ass but some relief in the wound. I told her I think I pee myself. She looked at my butt and all the fluid was drained. She said nope you just ripped open your wound. So next morning off to surgery number 3 and they cleaned it all out put a bunch of antibiotics directly in the pocket with the device and closed it back up. Then surgery 4 came and he wanted to remove it all for 6 months and then do it again putting it on my other side of my ass after all infection was gone. It was finally healed & I still have the ugliest scar 1/2 inch wide scar today. But I told him not a chance in hell I was doing any of that again. I told him I will wear a diaper use a catheter or what ever before I did that again.

Surgery one was the issue that started it. They plant the wires near the nerve in the spin from a 1 inch incision wear the device later goes. They loop the wire in the back of the upper butt cheek so they have enough slack to hook into it later and bring the wire out the side of the hip to wear a external power pack for a week before you have the device planted. The inch cut where the wire is looped is stitched shut with the wire just under the skin. So then when it works a week later they do surgery number 2 ,they cut the on inch incision about 3.5inches and make the pocket. They cut the wire at the loop and hook it to the permanent device and then pull the wire exiting the side of the hip out and close you up with the devise hooked up in the pocket.

Sounds easy.. right? Well I was told no lifting over 15 pounds!.... But I was young and dumb and went to work and was driving a truck and had to hand load about 400 containers all around 50lb average but some over 100. (every day all week) So it was all taped up and sealed and I was told not to remove the bandage. About day 3 I felt something tear or burn and then it just started hurting as I moved because it was just below the waste and my pants was rubbing on it. I just worked all week and dealt with it. So the morning 2 days before my surgery I suspected a infection but it was a Saturday. I removed the bandage and that wire loop was hanging out of my skin and it looked nasty. I went to the ER and stupid ass doctor on duty cleaned it up and my god it hurt when he was scrubbing around and in the wound I asked 3 times if he could numb it. The entire time he was being a dick about how I should not of been working and blah blah blah. It was a ER doctor and I think he was getting off on hurting me and punishing me for popping the stitching. He did not even know what the devise was either, I had to explain it to him. So he finally gets done scrubbing my infected wound and bring tears to my eyes for 15 min. Then he said I have to stich it up I will have to numb you now. Man I was so pissed!!! He could of done it 15 min earlier and saved me a lot of pain. I just almost turned around and strangled him!! Then he told me I doubt you will have your surgery Monday. They gave me a shot of antibiotics and sent me home on some cipro. He never even called the surgeon or nothing. So I called and paged him Sunday morning and told him what was up. Man he was pissed that doctor messed with my wound and did not call him. He told me he was the head of a medical director at the hospital and the dude would not be working their no more. Well he was not bluffing I never seen that doctor in the ER again. 😂 But he had me to come in for the surgery Monday and said he would decide when he sees it. I should also note it was like 2006 and it was fairly a new procedure at that time and I was the very first patient he was doing the surgery on7 the first to have it done at this hospital. It was very embarrassing too as I was his very first person to do the procedure at this hospital. Their was people about 15 people in the OR for both Surgeries. They wheeled me in there for surgery and both times I asked the anesthesiologist to just do me one favor. He asked what and I said don't mess around knock me out now I do not like 15 people staring at my butt. LOL He looked at me and said I am on it as fast s I can get the monitors on you & had me out pretty fast. But back to the infected wound my surgeon looked at it and said it was looking better (not that he seen it before) That he felt confident and they could flush it real good when in there. So the did it but after the surgery he told me Normally you would go home but I want to keep you two days and keep you on a strong antibiotic. I made them page him. So I feel it was doomed from the start and the doctor should of put it off but he had half the hospital in the room waiting to see this new cutting edge surgery just like the first tie when they planted the wires. So You can imagine my thoughts on ever doing this again. I ean I ended up septic with a blood infection from it.

So after that all of that and 2 sets of urodynamics at the learning hospital (not the same hospital that placed the device) but they also had about 8 or 10 collage girls helping and observing both times on that test I said nope not ever again. Anyone who has had those test done can totally relate. It is a very invasive procedure. Of course I tried all the pills but finally I just said No to anything else. I let them scope me like every 5 years or so due to my interstitial cystitis just to see how my bladder looks and no tumors or cancer is starting. Now my bladder has shrank down 2/3 the normal size and the walls are about 3 times thicker now so it is never going to work right again no matter what.. What I do not understand is the insurance gladly paid of $30k for surgery that does not work and they will not spend one red cent on diapers. It could of paid for 15 years of my diapers.

I don't know why these big diaper companies do not team up and do some research and prove how any people give up ago back to a diaper. We need to stand up and demand our insurance companies start buying our diapers for us

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Diprs2, ILuvDiapers and 4 others
greatlake5 said:
Sometimes wearing a diaper dominates my life but not completely. I've always been IC so I don't know what it would feel like if I wasn't. Obviously, being IC means that I'm always diapered and I need to be changed every day. So in some way, changing dominates during certain times. But the rest of the time I'm just a regular person. I work, play the activities I like and I enjoy time with friends, family and my partner. I'm sure if you're new to being IC, everything you do dominates being diapered. I'm sure that eventually you'll get used to it.

Does wearing a diaper dominate your life? Why and how?
Toilet slavery can, too. I know some who, the last time she pottytried, she was in high school. The aid had to put the lift sling under her, every time, and then put her on this very specific chair, that went over the toilet, to support her. Well, if the aid was too slow, she'd empty onto the floor, just from sheer urgency. And, she's a girl, so, blood.

Imagine needing a chair Like that, and wanting to go somewhere like a mall. What was she supposed to do? Bring the chair from home with her? So now, not only does her mom's car have to accommodate her wheelchair, but her potty/shower chair? It just didn't work.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, ILuvDiapers, Diaperman95 and 1 other person
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Toilet slavery can, too. I know some who, the last time she pottytried, she was in high school. The aid had to put the lift sling under her, every time, and then put her on this very specific chair, that went over the toilet, to support her. Well, if the aid was too slow, she'd empty onto the floor, just from sheer urgency. And, she's a girl, so, blood.

Imagine needing a chair Like that, and wanting to go somewhere like a mall. What was she supposed to do? Bring the chair from home with her? So now,u
I think there are many wheelchair users that uses diapers because it is easier than trying to find a restroom they can actually get into before they cant hold it.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Ashton84
greatlake5 said:
Sometimes wearing a diaper dominates my life but not completely. I've always been IC so I don't know what it would feel like if I wasn't. Obviously, being IC means that I'm always diapered and I need to be changed every day. So in some way, changing dominates during certain times. But the rest of the time I'm just a regular person. I work, play the activities I like and I enjoy time with friends, family and my partner. I'm sure if you're new to being IC, everything you do dominates being diapered. I'm sure that eventually you'll get used to it.

Does wearing a diaper dominate your life? Why and how?
Yes and No, i need to wear diapers because i'm incontinent, therefore i am dependent on diapers, but does it dominate me? Absolutely not! It's a part of me, but not all of me. :)

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Diaperman95 and Edgewater
fredy552 said:
Well Yes and No I have to monitor how Wet my Diaper is getting so I can get somewhere to change my Diaper before I LEAK and then Change your Diaper. No matter what brand you buy be it the Expensive ones through the Medical/AB stores or the Inexpensive as I buy from the Drug Store they all were designed to hold a certain amount of liquid and will leak when you Pee too much liquid and do not change your diaper. I know my diapers by feeling when I need to go change my Diaper for a Nice Dry One.
The nice thing about a expensive premium diaper is you do not have to change but 2 or 3 times max a day. If I am out and about in public I do not drink a lot and I could go a good 8-10 without change and I only change then because of diaper bulge in the front. But Most of the time I never have to change in a public restroom anymore. Yeah!! That and they keep my skin way dryer. I have been using diapers 30 plus years and I hate store brand with a passion then one day I was at the urologist bitching and he handed me a couple purple Molicare and a mail order catalog to a company call HDIS!! OMG game changer and I have used very few store brands since. I personally see the upside to premium diapers and do not feel they cost anymore in the long run and they give me way better piece of mind. But everyone is different and there are a few over the counter that are not horrible bad. but I hate changing in public restrooms and I hate changing in the middle of the night.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Rusher, Edgewater and 2 others
Diapers don’t dominate my life, although I will say I’m starting to enjoy wearing diapers. I’ve started to wear diapers more often than I really need to wear them. My incontinence has progressed in the last few years, so I’m wearing more often when I’m out.
I’m also enjoying wearing diapers more. It use to be embarrassing to wear in public when I had to in certain circumstances, and concerned others would notice my diaper, but I’ve moved those negative thoughts to wearing diapers as an adventure. I’m still anxious that i need to wear in public, but I’m using the secret of wearing diapers in public as an adventure 🤓

• Love
Reactions: Sparrow75, Diprs2, mender1243 and 2 others
IncontDL said:
Diapers don’t dominate my life, although I will say I’m starting to enjoy wearing diapers. I’ve started to wear diapers more often than I really need to wear them. My incontinence has progressed in the last few years, so I’m wearing more often when I’m out.
I’m also enjoying wearing diapers more. It use to be embarrassing to wear in public when I had to in certain circumstances, and concerned others would notice my diaper, but I’ve moved those negative thoughts to wearing diapers as an adventure. I’m still anxious that i need to wear in public, but I’m using the secret of wearing diapers in public as an adventure 🤓
It is important to be at one with diapers, especially when you are incontinent! Being incontinent isn't great, but at the same time i learn't a while ago now to overcome the bad feelings, which all too often accompany being incontinent.

Once you do that, and in some respects only once you do that, can you then begin to feel unburdened, and more at ease with the situation.

I'll never seek to make light of incontinence, or attempt to dismiss the fact that being incontinent from birth or a relatively young age can have on you.

However products continue to improve for dealing with incontinence, as does peoples attitudes to those afflicted with incontinence. (y):)

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, MegaLugia, Edgewater and 1 other person
My issues with the bathroom are extremely disruptive, diaper or not. Right now I'm trying to adapt diapers more into my routine to try and reduce the stress and problems OAB can cause, but adopting and adjusting to the routine can take up a lot of energy and time. Especially as someone with ADHD. I am hoping as I settle into a routine, bathroom problems and diapers will have a much reduced "dominating" presence. So, yes and no.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, MegaLugia, ILuvDiapers and 1 other person
mirrored22 said:
My issues with the bathroom are extremely disruptive, diaper or not. Right now I'm trying to adapt diapers more into my routine to try and reduce the stress and problems OAB can cause, but adopting and adjusting to the routine can take up a lot of energy and time. Especially as someone with ADHD. I am hoping as I settle into a routine, bathroom problems and diapers will have a much reduced "dominating" presence. So, yes and no.
De stress yourself, let the diaper take the strain. 🫂:giggle:

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, mirrored22, Diaperman95 and 1 other person
geka said:
Really it’s your real name, like on your drivers license?
Kirk. Yes, first name

Reactions: Diprs2 and Diaperman95
mirrored22 said:
It takes some time once you decide enough is enough and go 24/7. Not so much getting use to wearing or even using it but getting use to being confident in wearing it. first Learning the limits of the diapers you are using and finding the best ones for you. Be it a lighter one for the day and a thirst beast at night 😁 & learning how fr you can push them & how to deal with Changes where and when needed. But mostly learning trust your diaper and finding a wardrobe that covers it well enough you are not worried about people seeing it. Then lastly learning you don't really care if they happen to see it. You have done nothing wrong and OAB & Incontinence could happen to anyone maybe it even has to the person you are worried about. The truth is even if someone see's it, most adults are mature enough to keep their moth shut and not make a seen.

Then do not forget to make a go bag to keep in the car or at work or even on you. Diapers & wipes, creams or powders if you use them. I really do not. Some scented disposal bags to more discretely chunk them. It does not sound like bowel IC is a issue for you ( I wish I could say the same) so I will spare the perineal wash, chuck pads & additional supplies for that. Find you a S Hook at the hardware store and place in the bag too. Most restrooms do not have a hanger on the back of the stall and it is nice to be able to hag your bag and not place it on the nasty floor. Until you have real trust in your diapers & system carry a extra set of pants.

Remember not one person with a sane condition is going to let uncontrolled piss or shit run down their legs! If they was in the same boat they would be wearing the same thing as you.

Don't Let incontinence or diapers control your life. Use that diaper to take your life back and enjoy the freedom from always trying to make it to the toilet. I use Mega Max and I only change 2 times to sometimes 3 times a day, unless I have bad diarrhea!.. So the truth is I hardly ever even have to use the restroom during the day or when out all night with friends. They are the poor bastards running to the restroom every hour when hanging out and drinking beer!😂

Reactions: Diprs2, jdinvirginia, ILuvDiapers and 1 other person
Diaperman95 said:
It takes some time once you decide enough is enough and go 24/7. Not so much getting use to wearing or even using it but getting use to being confident in wearing it. first Learning the limits of the diapers you are using and finding the best ones for you. Be it a lighter one for the day and a thirst beast at night 😁 & learning how fr you can push them & how to deal with Changes where and when needed. But mostly learning trust your diaper and finding a wardrobe that covers it well enough you are not worried about people seeing it. Then lastly learning you don't really care if they happen to see it. You have done nothing wrong and OAB & Incontinence could happen to anyone maybe it even has to the person you are worried about. The truth is even if someone see's it, most adults are mature enough to keep their moth shut and not make a seen.

Then do not forget to make a go bag to keep in the car or at work or even on you. Diapers & wipes, creams or powders if you use them. I really do not. Some scented disposal bags to more discretely chunk them. It does not sound like bowel IC is a issue for you ( I wish I could say the same) so I will spare the perineal wash, chuck pads & additional supplies for that. Find you a S Hook at the hardware store and place in the bag too. Most restrooms do not have a hanger on the back of the stall and it is nice to be able to hag your bag and not place it on the nasty floor. Until you have real trust in your diapers & system carry a extra set of pants.

Remember not one person with a sane condition is going to let uncontrolled piss or shit run down their legs! If they was in the same boat they would be wearing the same thing as you.

Don't Let incontinence or diapers control your life. Use that diaper to take your life back and enjoy the freedom from always trying to make it to the toilet. I use Mega Max and I only change 2 times to sometimes 3 times a day, unless I have bad diarrhea!.. So the truth is I hardly ever even have to use the restroom during the day or when out all night with friends. They are the poor bastards running to the restroom every hour when hanging out and drinking beer!😂

I think that you are right, it is more of a confidence thing than a routine thing. You make good points. The S Hook is a clever idea too!

I've been going through a lot of appointments through the last year, including invasive tests, procedures, and medication switches (of which none have worked) and arguing with insurance and I am just frustrated. No matter what, it feels like the these urinary problems are just running my life right now. I'd love to get to a point where I'm so comfortable with managing it all, its just background noise, like it is for people without these sort of problems. It seems like a lot of you here have reached that with diapers.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Diaperman95 and ILuvDiapers
mirrored22 said:
I think that you are right, it is more of a confidence thing than a routine thing. You make good points. The S Hook is a clever idea too!

I've been going through a lot of appointments through the last year, including invasive tests, procedures, and medication switches (of which none have worked) and arguing with insurance and I am just frustrated. No matter what, it feels like the these urinary problems are just running my life right now. I'd love to get to a point where I'm so comfortable with managing it all, its just background noise, like it is for people without these sort of problems. It seems like a lot of you here have reached that with diapers.
You will reach that point too. 🫂 You have had a lot going on right now with medication switches, and lots of appointments involving invasive tests. Hope things improve for you very soon. (y):giggle:

Reactions: Diprs2 and mirrored22
rennecfox said:
Not much more than prior how keeping bathrooms close felt almost the same
Wow, is *that* a great point! Looking back, I should have started wearing diapers years ago. Being somewhere that had no bathroom at all, like the beach, instead of enjoying the waves and the breeze I'd be considering whether there was any shrubbery I could shelter behind to take a pee! I couldn't just go into the ocean for relief, because I was fully dressed and I can't swim anyway.

Reactions: Diprs2
It actually makes it better. Good products like Northshores help me live my life to the fullest and not let incontinence be a hindrance. Planning and preparation is keep. Always have a “go” bag helps too. Leaks happen.

Reactions: Diprs2
Back