Autiesaurus

Elsa and Anna's Baby Sister
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Those of you who have tried the Bambino Magnifico baby dino diapers, what are your thoughts? Would you recommend them? They look super cute, but for $2+ per diaper I want to be sure.

What you're paying for is stretchy tabs. If that is important to you, they might be worth it. I decidedly don't like hybrid diapers, so they're not appealing to me. I have friends who like them. I've played with them and I've changed them. They seem perfectly good if that's what you're after but the stretchy tabs are the reason they're exceptional.

What are hybrid diapers?

I like the Velcro style tabs on them. I almost always have trouble with tape style tabs. I like the Ultra Stretch (all white version)

Last edited:
Autiesaurus said:
What are hybrid diapers?
If smooth plastic backed with tapes is one kind and clothlike covers with hook and loop tabs is another, a hybrid diaper is a merge of the two. What we see most often lately is hook and loop tabs with smooth plastic backing and that's how Magnificos are. The distinction is that their hook and loop tabs stretch. The other companies that have hybrid diapers don't have stretchy tabs.

Are there any other diapers with stretchy sides? The magnificos are the only one I know with them.

I've bought two cases of Magnificos so far. The only time I wear them is when my nanny is here. She loves them!

If I were wearing 'on my own,' I'd frankly prefer ABU Space or even Northshore Megas, although those are vastly different diapers. Don't get me wrong: Magnificos are comfortable enough, absorbent enough and they're babyish enough, three criteria which are all seldom met in the same diaper. My nanny loves the stretchy sides and being able to get the diaper snug when she's changing me, which is often difficult with typical 'tape-on' diapers.

I agree with Trevor: The real distinction with Magnificos is the stretchy sides. In our unique usage case, however, the stretchy sides make for a product that is worthwhile ... even if only a few times per week or month.

Autiesaurus said:
Those of you who have tried the Bambino Magnifico baby dino diapers, what are your thoughts? Would you recommend them? They look super cute, but for $2+ per diaper I want to be sure.
I like 'em, mostly because of the stretchy tabs, although the dino print is also one of my favorites. So yeah! Try 'em.

That said, I'm not excited about 'hybrid' diapers, and would much rather have an all-clothlike design. I think we'll get there, although it's taken a little longer than I'd hoped it would. When the Magnifico came out, I'll admit that one of my first hopes was, "Please ABU, answer this with a stretchy-sided Preschool Cloth-backed, or reintroduce the Cloth-backed Cushies with stretchy sides." Alas, it's been a few years, and ABU seems to be holding to a formula. Their announcement of a couple of months ago was pretty "meh." That may not be entirely for lack of trying, though. Profitable though ABU surely is, I suppose they're still not raking it in to the extent needed to seriously customize their equipment and get adventurous.

Twiddle, twiddle...

I love them. The print is awesome, the sides are awesome, the look of a modern baby diaper with the stretchy sides and velcro tapes is AWESOME and them still being plastic-backed is PERFECT!

They are a bit too expensive though. I mostly wear Crinklz, and not many diapers match their price + capacity. They are just the best out there, but the feeling and look of having "real genuine baby diapers" on you that Magnifico can give with it's tapes, print, shape and feel is just un-matched.
Even tho I swear by the Crinklz + Barebums + Tykables combo, they are all four-tape ones, and even though all their prints are very cute and awesome, there's just something that cannot be matched in terms of genuinity of Magnificos. They really do feel like baby diapers.

I got them in the wrong size the first time, but managed.. Now I got them in the right size and will enjoy them more :3

Thanks everyone! I think I'm gonna go for it and spring for a pack. I'll report back on my thoughts.

Reactions: TyphaHare
They didn’t account properly for the stretchy sides in the size ranges. Their normal mediums fit me (with the tapes maybe 1.5-2 inch apart on the top), but the magnifico’s stretchy sides cause the tapes to overlap by several inches in order to fit snuggly/securely, which then causes them to not fit well. They need to add a size small or re-design the sizing in my opinion. Several others haven’t mentioned the same concern.

tomviper000 said:
They didn’t account properly for the stretchy sides in the size ranges. Their normal mediums fit me (with the tapes maybe 1.5-2 inch apart on the top), but the magnifico’s stretchy sides cause the tapes to overlap by several inches in order to fit snuggly/securely, which then causes them to not fit well. They need to add a size small or re-design the sizing in my opinion. Several others haven’t mentioned the same concern.

I fit into the L/XL range, so I don't find anything wrong with the design. It fits my round body shape quite perfectly.
I guess it won't fit as well for very thin/tall people?

I really want to try them but the price is just way too high to justify the purchase.

I'd rather wait for the new ABU Dinorawrz

Cottontail said:
I like 'em, mostly because of the stretchy tabs, although the dino print is also one of my favorites. So yeah! Try 'em.

That said, I'm not excited about 'hybrid' diapers, and would much rather have an all-clothlike design. I think we'll get there, although it's taken a little longer than I'd hoped it would. When the Magnifico came out, I'll admit that one of my first hopes was, "Please ABU, answer this with a stretchy-sided Preschool Cloth-backed, or reintroduce the Cloth-backed Cushies with stretchy sides." Alas, it's been a few years, and ABU seems to be holding to a formula. Their announcement of a couple of months ago was pretty "meh." That may not be entirely for lack of trying, though. Profitable though ABU surely is, I suppose they're still not raking it in to the extent needed to seriously customize their equipment and get adventurous.

Twiddle, twiddle...

I am with you on the "hybrid" diapers; I have tried Tykables and liked them, but I am not in love with them (because of the patchwork cloth covering in some areas and not in others, which makes for awkward disposal, to me anyways)

I have had Seni Quatros before and they were pretty good and those are completely cloth backed

But theres a huge chunk of our community dead set against pure Cloth Backed Diapers and that is probably why they arent a thing at all

I am pretty sure ABUs new Dino Diaper (whenever it comes out) is supposed to be full cloth backed, so maybe if that is successful there will be more full cloth backed Diapers coming to the market.

BabyTyrant said:
But theres a huge chunk of our community dead set against pure Cloth Backed Diapers and that is probably why they arent a thing at all

I am pretty sure ABUs new Dino Diaper (whenever it comes out) is supposed to be full cloth backed, so maybe if that is successful there will be more full cloth backed Diapers coming to the market.
One can hope. Yeah, the majority seem to like/want plastic, but then every time we have a discussion about our "dream diaper," somebody says, "I'd like upscaled modern Pampers" and gets a bunch of "me too!" replies. So there's some demand for that, anyway. It would be interesting to see ABU and other makers of ABDL diapers conduct their own polls to see where demand for that sort of thing falls. Doubtless they've tried to gauge this in other ways, but being transparent about it might do double duty as a way to say, "We're actually listening."

Back