Your Rubber Sheet

WBxx said:
In my mind the rubber sheet was a dead giveaway. I pleaded with mom to bring it in the house. She wouldn’t do it. So the rubber sheet along with the rest of my bedding remained outside in plain view for several hours till the mattress pad was finally dry. I’ve got to believe the neighbors noticed and surmised that the “college boy” had wet the bed. Whatever, nobody said anything to me and life went on.
ya-the worst part about a well used rubber sheet on the line is it acquires a "sweet spot' over time. Mine was light grey and had a faded yellow sweet spot. If someone noticed it, on closer inspection it became clear that is was well used.

I had a light grey translucent protective mattress cover but I do not know if it was rubber, but I think plastic / vinyl (late 70's). I never recall it making it out to the clothes line nor my plastic underpants (when I was 6 or older), unlike my pjs and training underwear (I guess those could be explained without embarrassment). What I really disliked was the vinyl cover was a "form-fitted" sheet that was not tight on the mattress corners and would bunch up by my head in a wad. I constantly had to re-fit it over the upper corner.

I recall asking my mom if we could just get rid of it because it did not fit but she said I had to keep it on so my mattress would not get stained when I leaked sometimes from my trainers / pp. I thought about asking for something more absorbent so I couldn't leak ever but re-thought that idea when I envisioned myself wearing a full thick cloth diaper and 2 pairs of pps over it and me looking liking a swollen mushroom with my pj bottoms on - something I would never have been able to hide from my friends if they ever saw me in my pjs.

I just had to deal with it and by age 11/12 it finally came off my bed (at least for about 6 years - there is a full vinyl zippered encased mattress cover now on my old bed at the parent's house which was put on after my first trip home on college break).

My rubber sheet is a sheet and its real rubber with those little air filled bubbles, so the pee kind of stays off the top. It goes directly under the cloth bed sheet. mattress also is encased in one of those ligjhweight high-tech covers that claims to be waterproof and keep out the alergens. i think every mattress needs one of those-bedwetter or not to keep it clean. Its the rubber sheet under the bed sheet that is the bedwetting appliance. My queen bed in NY also has a rubber sheet (My Mom bought it and sent it with me when I moved) although not the kind with the air filled ridges because you can't find them in large enough sizes.

I can't remember when a pad was removed.The last time wet the bed was about 13 then good til about 50 then accidents started my wife put one on the bed and along with diapers is the nighty wardrobe.

My sheet wasn’t rubber, like a lot of others. It was noisy, crinkly plastic. I hated that sheet! The only thing I liked, was the thought, wish I could make plastic pants out of it. 🤔 My mom, would not put me back in any kind of diaper. I think she believed,(I know she believed), that I would never try to stop wetting the bed. Maybe so? But, I would have been happier, and we all would have had uninterrupted sleep. I stopped wetting the bed around 6, or 7, and not long after that, the sheet came off. I think I went through 2 of them, of what I recall. I was glad to see come off. Nothing like having friends, or your cousins over, and they sit on your crinkly bed, with a funny look thrown at you.
I found out in later years, my dad was a bedwetter, and had a red rubber sheet for his bed. He must have been older then I when he stopped, cause he said it was hard to find a rubber sheet when WWII was going on. The dates being 1939-45. My dad was born in 1935, so he would have been 4-10 years old during that time frame. I’m guessing he was old enough, to grasp the notion of the war shortages, so he must have went to an older age of wetting the bed. I don’t know exactly to what age, when he stopped for sure. Makes me wonder, if my grandfather wet the bed too?

I also was born in the late 30's and when started wetting the bed would wonder about my dad just picked up things said.

I had a friend when I was 9 or 10 sit on my bed and ask me in a startled manner "You have a plastic sheet on your bed?" I remember this vividly and I had the perfect explanation of my mom being afraid I or my friends (that's right pal! it is partially your fault also! ha) might spill something on my bed like a soda pop and she would not want to to have to try and clean a stain out of the mattress. My indication of my accidents at night never came into the conversation.

At age 4 - 12 I never even knew about parents and their possible bed-wetting years being connected to mine. No one ever noted this to me (doctor or other relatives). I would really like to ask them nowadays but it may be too touchy of a subject and after 40 years why mention it now?

iampadded said:
My rubber sheet is a sheet and its real rubber with those little air filled bubbles, so the pee kind of stays off the top. It goes directly under the cloth bed sheet. mattress also is encased in one of those ligjhweight high-tech covers that claims to be waterproof and keep out the alergens. i think every mattress needs one of those-bedwetter or not to keep it clean. Its the rubber sheet under the bed sheet that is the bedwetting appliance. My queen bed in NY also has a rubber sheet (My Mom bought it and sent it with me when I moved) although not the kind with the air filled ridges because you can't find them in large enough sizes.
I have never heard of a rubber sheet with air filled bubbles or ridges. And they’re still available in small sizes?

Personally, I have faint early memories of a smooth red rubber sheet. At some point it was replaced with a larger waterproof sheet that extended from side to side and almost to the ends of my single bed. Strange part, it had a rubber core covered on both sides with absorbent fabric. Akin to your “bubbles”, I suspect the fabric was designed to wick wetness away. However, with mom's placement of the rubber sheet beneath the mattress pad the fabric served no purpose. Quite the opposite, it was a negative in that the absorbent fabric necessitated laundering the rubber sheet every time I wet the bed.

Unable to find an old fashioned rubber sheet, I now have a fitted vinyl mattress cover. Not the same, but I kind of like slipperiness and faint crinkle of the vinyl below.

Yes- You can still find the air filled sheets for cribs. Made in orient. Google "air filled cot sheet" Myprotex.com used to have real rubber sheeting. I purchased a couple of them a few years ago. I think you can also still find them at http://rodcoxclothdiapers.com/. I have seen them on their website when I order plastic pants.

Reactions: Angelapinks
JOCKMAN said:
I had a friend when I was 9 or 10 sit on my bed and ask me in a startled manner "You have a plastic sheet on your bed?" I remember this vividly and I had the perfect explanation of my mom being afraid I or my friends (that's right pal! it is partially your fault also! ha) might spill something on my bed like a soda pop and she would not want to to have to try and clean a stain out of the mattress. My indication of my accidents at night never came into the conversation.

At age 4 - 12 I never even knew about parents and their possible bed-wetting years being connected to mine. No one ever noted this to me (doctor or other relatives). I would really like to ask them nowadays but it may be too touchy of a subject and after 40 years why mention it now?
I doubt your friend bought into your story. He was just too good of a friend to call you on it. Most 10 year old boys no exactly what a plastic sheet on the bed means. 1. Many still had them on their beds ! 2. If they didn't, it had not been that long. Just about every kid I knew, still had protected mattresses long after they stopped wetting the bed. That is just how mother's rolled.

Reactions: chamberpot
iampadded said:
I doubt your friend bought into your story. He was just too good of a friend to call you on it. Most 10 year old boys no exactly what a plastic sheet on the bed means. 1. Many still had them on their beds ! 2. If they didn't, it had not been that long. Just about every kid I knew, still had protected mattresses long after they stopped wetting the bed. That is just how mother's rolled.
Well my friend couldn't prove it one way or another. My statement made perfect possible sense. As you state many kids had plastic covers on their beds long after they stopped having accidents at night. I never thought I fooled anyone, just never let any true previous bed-wetting incidents come out! I also caught on early in life that kids have more important issues in their life then trying to find out 100% who still wets the bed....like taking their bikes and seeing who an jump a ramp and catch the most air!

I was just on a business trip and had a first time event occur with me and my plastic mattress cover. I was going through security and they pulled my bag to the side for "further review". I typically pack my mattress cover protector in my bigger bag and check it at ticketing but this time it was a very short trip so it was in my one bag. I wear typically training underwear through security and never have a problem with that and then go to the restroom by my gate and pull on my plastic underpants (pp) that I have packed in my carryon. This time though I also had my plastic mattress cover in the bottom of my bag. I have had my bag checked previously and they usually just skim over the plastic bag that had my pp in them and they did this also again this time. However, when they unzippered my base area of the bag and unfolded the bag, my plastic mattress cover was quite obvious at 2 foot by 1 foot folded just laying there. It was not so much embarrassing to me for the plastic cover to be seen by security folks but the clear bag holding my wet training underwear from the previous night was a bit of a "faux pa" when it showed itself to all of us.

The previous night I took my mattress protector off the hotel bed as usual and folded it into a size to fit my bag but I also had to rinse out my somewhat damp training underwear in the shower to take any slight smell away. I then just balled it up and put it in a clear bag that I usually retrieve at hotels from the in-room ice bucket container. In hindsight I should have put it it with my other dirty laundry and not right next to my plastic mattress cover which made the two in combo-view fairly obvious as to my bedtime storyline.

True to previous experiences on this forum, abdl items and diapers and plastic pants, etc. in check in bags, the security folks were professional and only seemed startled about it for a mere 2 - 3 seconds then went on to look through other pockets in my suitcase. All zippered up and sent on my way, overall not a very big deal, just a learning experience.

Anyone else ever pack their rubber sheet / plastic mattress cover in their carry on bag and have it exposed like I did?

iampadded said:
Yes- You can still find the air filled sheets for cribs. Made in orient. Google "air filled cot sheet" Myprotex.com used to have real rubber sheeting. I purchased a couple of them a few years ago. I think you can also still find them at http://rodcoxclothdiapers.com/. I have seen them on their website when I order plastic pants.
You can still find real rubber sheeting at Rearz in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada and have it cut to any length.

Angelapinks said:
You can still find real rubber sheeting at Rearz in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada and have it cut to any length.
We no longer offer rubber sheeting. And we moved to Cambridge :)

iampadded said:
Has anyone tried Peepod mats?

Great follow-up post IAMPADDED! Even better commercial showing the older adult and younger child both needing this item. Kudos to the advertiser for making a great vid.

I have a peapod mat under my sheet on top of my mattress protector wife has always insisted on it.

Reactions: JOCKMAN, Angelapinks and chamberpot
I stumbled across this old string that I started a couple of years ago. Its a good topic -so lets give it another go.

I had a rubber sheet on my bed until I was in my early teens. It was just a flat sheet under the regular sheets but i do recall the slipperyness of it.

Reactions: Cyprushill427
leafgoalie said:
I had a rubber sheet on my bed until I was in my early teens. It was just a flat sheet under the regular sheets but i do recall the slipperyness of it.
How long after you became dry did your Mom take to remove it?

Reactions: knowdog
Back