Your maturity bores me. Endlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Seriously. Do you guys remember elementary/high school? Those conversations were entertaining. We sit down and just talk, nonstop, about random stuff that has little to no relevance to -anything-. That was good times.

And now that I'm in college, everywhere I turn, I see cheap small talk going on about their daily schedules, computer chips and their schedule. I mean, really. Do these people really have nothing fun in their lives, so much that they resort to these boring conversations?

Is it the atmosphere? Someone fresh out of high school on the cusp of some new environment that I'll get used to?

Or is adulthood really this freaking boring?

End rant.

... [[ EDIT: Suuuuch the wrong forum. It's midnight. And I clicked New Topic in the forum I was looking at at the time... Apologies in advance.]]

Slang

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I find the best discussion are about nothing as well. But I'll totally force the nothing into it. Was walking home with this dude last week, and he's always talking about the bands he likes, which is cool, I'm just not super interested, so I start going off about how messed up you have to be to have a pink house (cause we passed one). Seriously, if you have a pink house, and then you have kids, you're just screwing them over hardcore. Anyways, usually forcing the relevant out of a conversation is a good way to find some amusment in the barren dessert of talk, although when somebody else tries the same thing it goes way off. Two people being sarcastic at each doesn't work gooder. Whatever. I think the best way to deal with you not digging boring small talk would to initiate interesting conversation.

Like, hey Akira, what colour do you associate with the number 26?

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I'm not sure that maturity is about having boring conversations. :p

Perhaps you need to inject people with interesting conversation! The next time somebody asks you some boring small talk question, tell them they're boring and ask them something wild!

*Moves to off topic*

KandiKit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
  6. Other
Hey Akira please don't fret .... take solace in the fact that there are actually still people out there who continue their entire friendship dialogues and conversations based on that high school/elementary school level of discourse. i have a lot of friends who IRL literally just talk about all the things nonsense that lead to no end, for me sometimes it gets tedious but i can Totally see it from your end and envision a time where i would envy the way it "used to be".

Getting mature and older is by far not all about losing your ability to have "immature conversations" your just hanging around people who are losing touch with that rapidly, and have no desire or insight to realize and maybe prevent this.

You just need to find some friends who are constantly gabbing it up about what they like about this food or that movie or this video game or that girl or why they hate that random guy at wendy's or how easy life would be if they won this or bought that or knew how to do this or what band needs to be touring and so on and so forth. they are out there trust me seek and you shall find.. and also try steering the convo with your friends to one of these directions ... you might find out they are not as shallow as you thought

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Maybe you just have boring friends :dunno:

I laugh with my friends and talk about silly stuff on a daily basis.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Akira, I reckon you're with the wrong people. I, and most people I know around my age, refuse to become boring or even have a mature conversation that lasts more than a few minutes. I'm sure there are plenty of folks like that at your college as well. Me, I make it a priority to have several hours of mindless conversations with friends each week.

In fact, I think those who talk about computer chips and schedules and "Oh, I must be on my way to the Valley's Wine Tasting Seminar" are trying to be much more mature than they are. They're phonies. Ignore them.

Good luck!

Wegs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I always have interesting conversations, mostly because I make them interesting. For example, my friends were talking about a TV show. I came over. The conversation ended with my friends wondering how they would stop a life raft from sinking despite a massive hole (The solutions were the most interesting parts). If you really want interesting conversations, always find something to laugh about in any situation, even make yourself look like an idiot. Take it from the guy who's the best at interesting convos.

BostonDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
AMD is cool but I miss the old PPC chips, you could push a TON of processes through them and they kept on chugging. they were like the diesel engines of the chip world.

Though I can't wait for the new 6 core intel chips (SICK!!)

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Welcome to the rest of your life, it only gets worse from here on, unless you find a job you don't mind doing for the next 20-30 years.

I was lucky I did what I enjoyed doing, find a job or a job feild that is different everyday, when I worked for people I did not want to know what I would be doing the next day, when one of the owners came to me and started to say, Tomorrow I would say stop, let me find out when I get here, Suprise Me.

Being young and school are the best years of your life, enjoy them while you can.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Welcome to the rest of your life, it only gets worse from here on, unless you find a job you don't mind doing for the next 20-30 years.

I was lucky I did what I enjoyed doing, find a job or a job feild that is different everyday, when I worked for people I did not want to know what I would be doing the next day, when one of the owners came to me and started to say, Tomorrow I would say stop, let me find out when I get here, Suprise Me.

Being young and school are the best years of your life, enjoy them while you can.

I don't agree at all. I guess mileage varies, but for me, adulthood has been better than childhood, and I certainly had a good enough childhood. Are there things I miss or that I can't do anymore? Of course. They matter, but in my opinion, there's no contest. Adults get to decide things, and choice means more to me than what I've lost.

Near

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Babyfur
One advice: get new friends. The people I hang out whit are still completely capable of holding weird conversations, despite all being in University.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
My college experience is entirely opposite of what you describe. Instead the added maturity and wisdom of my peers enables them to find the irony in life all the more. They are more skilled at creating ridiculous puns, and presenting wholly reprehensible opinions with such perfect sarcasm as to render them hilariously harmless. For example, me and one fellow endlessly discuss the precise scientific reasons why certain people don't have souls, and are more like automatons than living beings. This is followed by a debate on the merits of being personally worthless to society, the ethics of lawful evil, and an acknowledgement of wilful inferiority to those we criticize. These conversations are utter non-sense, of course, but they do serve as an interesting exploration of the absurd.

However, it depends on who you hang out with. If you want that kind of discordian chatter, I would recommend finding the nearest computer science or (non-computer) game club. Also try somewhere that appreciates the delight of contradiction, like a used book store with a high-priced bistro.

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
AMD is cool but I miss the old PPC chips, you could push a TON of processes through them and they kept on chugging. they were like the diesel engines of the chip world.

I still miss my PowerTower. :(

Welcome to the rest of your life, it only gets worse from here on

I disagree. While my childhood was a hell of a lot of fun (sometimes too much fun :)), my adult life has been even better. It's all what you make of it.

As far as the OP's concern, It's nice to talk with others about current events, similar interests, etc., but it's also great to be goofy and talk about mindless stuff too. I agree though... Many people are way too over-starched and boring. You just have to associate yourself with like minded individuals, and not the drab, brown suit wearing math teachers of the world. :)

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I'd say I've probably had more weird, nonsensical, random but fun conversations at uni than before it. The rate is certainly steady at worst.

You should bear in mind that people have a tendency to talk about non-ridiculous and non-fun things - about schedules, about the weather, about computer chips (apparently) - when they don't really know the person they're talking to. That boring stuff is something everyone has in common so it's safe ground and everyone is a bit of afraid of behaving as they do with their friends and seeming a bit silly to those they don't know. Over time people open up and feel more comfortable to have those unrestricted conversations, which - daft as they may be - are actually the more important ones because they tend to involve you putting a bit more of yourself out there to others.

So, I'd say the fun is still there it's just not quite as on tap as you're used to in a school environment where people have known each other for a long time and existed together in a very structured environment. My advice to you - start those conversations. People will probably love you for being the one brave enough to drop the guard and be happy to go with it.

Some people are just boring of course and others you just won't get on with. With many though, it's simply a matter of establishing what goes and giving them a chance.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I think the conversations I had in college were far more stimulating than now as an adult. That's because I was a music major at a music conservatory in Princeton, N.J. We sang at Philharmonic Hall and Carnegie Hall. I lived with other musical geniuses, and we would talk about all the great composers. Sometimes we would be drunk or stoned to the gills. They were great times.

Now, it's mostly go to work, hear some teacher talk about how sick her child is with a cold, etc. Shopping at Walmart and taking advantage of sales is a big topic. Aaahhhhhhh! I wish I was back in Princeton with people involved at the top level.

Enjoy what you have at college and seek those who are interesting and stimulating. You bare some responsibility. I do find interesting people to associate with outside of my work. It's my responsibility. I also read, listen to music, and play great music. I can still live in my head when everyone else's head is empty.

M

Maxx

I found college frantic and exhausting. Carrying an 18 credit load, a different sport each season, then working 60-80 hours a week during the summer.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I don't know about the rest of you, but the most prominent language on campus has been sarcasm.

austin.db

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I remember when I was in high school orientation, and they told me the next four years would be the best four years of my life. Even then, I doubted that. Then, I went to college, and now I think anyone who says high school was the best years of their lives never went to university.

Definitely seek out the people who are more along your lines. There are a lot of people, I'm sure, at your school. Go meet some new ones if the ones you are around bore you.

I think it is good to talk intelligently and have meaningful conversations. But, certainly, mindless convo is necessary to maintain sanity. A good balance...

Status
Not open for further replies.