Your favorite toys as a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
Do you remember all the "Spy" toys - 007 James Bond Toys by Mattel. I had a radio that turned into a machine gun (this was 2 decades before Transformers had even been thought of).

Then there was Six Finger. Do you remember the TV Ad and jingle: Six Finger six finger! Man alive! how'd you get along with five! It was a gadget that attached to your hand below your pinky with various accouterments: gun, knife, radio, etc. to use on your "spy missions".

I had a red metal pedal car fire truck with a hose (that could be attached to the garden hose) and wood ladders. Later, I had a Varoom Motor by Mattel for my bicycle. Wasn't lucky enough to own a Schwinn Sting Ray with a banana seat and sissy bar though

I vaguely remember the "Spy" toys. I do recall there was a "007" craze in almost all lines of retail items, even men's cologne. Now, "Six Finger" I have no recollection of at all. Maybe dogboy remembers that toy. As much as I stayed glued to the TV back then it's a wonder I don't remember the jingle. For toy guns we did all have cap pistols in our neighborhood. Only one problem though, roll caps were illegal in Baltimore City until I was about 10 years old. Soon as the ban was lifted all us kids were excited to finally be packing real "heat"! When you pulled the trigger you now had a loud pop with some smoke from the exploding cap. Realism at last!:D

The Mattel Varoom Motor brings back memories even though I never owned one. Did you happen to hang onto your pedal fire truck? As you probably know, they're collector's items now. You can even get repro and NOS replacement parts for most of the '50s/'60s pedal vehicles to fix your old beloved riding toy up like new. I started to collect them myself, but they are a bit too pricey for our budget. You go back any earlier than the 1960s and the price climbs to near $1000 per pedal car depending on it's rarity and condition. I stick to vintage trikes, bikes, and pedal tractors from the '30s to the '50s whenever I can find ones at a decent price.

Oh, there's another pre-school building set I had completely neglected to mention - the ever-popular Tinker Toy set. If our kids were still little today I'd get them (us) one of the larger K-Nex Sets. I've seen K-Nex displays set up in Toys-R-Us and I would love to have a set myself, but I've got enough *toys* as it is.

~Pramrider

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Posted by Pramrider:

The Mattel Varoom Motor brings back memories even though I never owned one. Did you happen to hang onto your pedal fire truck? As you probably know, they're collector's items now. You can even get repro and NOS replacement parts for most of the '50s/'60s pedal vehicles to fix your old beloved riding toy up like new. I started to collect them myself, but they are a bit too pricey for our budget. You go back any earlier than the 1960s and the price climbs to near $1000 per pedal car depending on it's rarity and condition. I stick to vintage trikes, bikes, and pedal tractors from the '30s to the '50s whenever I can find ones at a decent price.

I was hoping you would have lots to post.

TINKER TOYS!! How could I have forgotten those? I had a HUGE set!

I have black and white photos of me in my pedal car(s) one while waving around a 40's - 50's era "Ray Gun". Unfortunately, I have few of my childhood toys. My older brother and his friends blew up all of my Tonkas with (illegal) M-80's they got on the Steillicoom Indian Reservation. My American Flyer Train set was also destroyed by my brother and his friends. Come to think of it they buried all my Matchbox Cars deep in a sand pile. MY BELOVED VW CAMPER VAN!!!....... DAMMIT I THINK I"M ABOUT TO GO POSTAL!!!! THANK GOD OBAHMA HAS ONLY BEEN IN OFFICE A FEW WEEKS - I STILL HAVE MY [email protected]!!

Last edited:
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Legos, wooden building blocks, tonka trucks, plastic cowboys and indians, ghostbuster memoribilia, teenage mutant ninja turtles, looney tunes

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
My older brother and his friends blew up all of my Tonkas with (illegal) M-80's they got on the Steillicoom Indian Reservation. My American Flyer Train set was also destroyed by my brother and his friends. Come to think of it they buried all my Matchbox Cars deep in a sand pile. MY BELOVED VW CAMPER VAN!!!....... DAMMIT I THINK I"M ABOUT TO GO POSTAL!!!! THANK GOD OBAHMA HAS ONLY BEEN IN OFFICE A FEW WEEKS - I STILL HAVE MY [email protected]!!

Man, that's a real shame, because I can tell you cared about your toys!:sad: You had some really nice ones, too. One thing I've always tried to impress on our kids is to take reasonably good care of their toys. The only toy-like item I still have from pre-teen years is a Croquet Set from about 11 or 12 years old. I believe the later sets have rubber cushions on the mallets for safety in case a player *bonks* someone in the head with it, but this older set has the all wood mallets.

~Pramrider

FairestandFallen

Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Dolls (any kind- Barbie, random dolls, cloth dolls, it didn't matter...I call them "minatures" now... >.>)
And I liked playing cars, but not as much as the dolls.
And, "make-beleive", though that's not a toy....

Role
  1. Other
Toy trucks of all kinds, Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars. Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and when I was slightly older, Erector Sets. I never had any Legos :sad:, I do now. Wooden blocks, I just got an AB friend of mine two sets of foam "wooden" blocks.

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
  2. Private
I apparently still have a few Legos still in my basement (when I was younger, I used to have a LOT and i took up a lot of space setting up stuff). It is kind of annoying that all I see for legos now is Star Wars-related stuff (it seems like I am the only person on Earth not into that, lol).

I also had more than a few Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars as well (I'm not sure where those are).

I had a few computer games after we got our first computer (an IBM 50 mHz 486!!!) and it sucks that my current computer doesn't have a floppy drive (my older Mac does, but well, it's an old Mac...). As far as video games go, I have had an 8-bit NES (I MIGHT still have it somewhere...), a Sega Genesis, an N64, and an Xbox (lol, apparently, looking back, I've played the Xbox the longest! maybe it's been worth the extra money!)

Status
Not open for further replies.