Your experience with firearms (Guns)

What is your experience level with firearms?

• Little or no experience

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Medium

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Extensive

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I am curious about everyone's experience with firearms. This has nothing to do with government gun control. Please use the Gun Control thread for that discussion. The following questions are what I am mainly interest to learn with this thread.

1. What level of experience do you have with firearms?

2. How knowledgeable are you on firearms? Is your knowledge brief, extensive, or in between?

3. Do you know the difference between repeating, semi-automatic, fully automatic, and machine gun?

4. Do you understand the different cartridge designators?

5. What are your thoughts on you personally owning or using a firearm? Please leave government policy out of this.

Please provide supporting details for each answer except question 3.

Raad

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
I've shot rifles and shotguns in boy scouts. I know the safety procedures and everything, how to clean them, ect.

I'd say medium.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I used a few 22's, and own 1, ruger auto. and my younger brother has a 44 a ruger super black hawk, and my father had a few shot guns, and a winchester carbine, I think it was his prize possession.

I can shoot and hit what I aim at, but thats about it for me with guns, ever since my cousin was killed with a 22, by one of his freinds just screwing around, I don't want anything to do with a gun, except for killing pests like squrrils.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other

I've only shot a rifle a few times and a shotgun once over a 40 year span of time, which pretty much tells you what the answers to questions 2, 3, and 4 are going to be. The two instances where I've used a firearm was with family members target shooting in an old slate quarry near Rance, and groundhog hunting on a farm with a friend (I missed, he didn't) who liked groundhog meat.

Couldn't tell you a thing about the firearms I used except that one was a .22 rifle and the other a 12 gauge shotgun, at the quarry. The .22 had a clip to hold the rounds and a bolt to load and expel the shells. Not sure what rifle I used on the farm. It did take larger rounds than a .22 and was a lot louder, too!

5. What are your thoughts on you personally owning or using a firearm? Please leave government policy out of this.

I honestly have no desire whatsoever to own any type of firearm. Target shooting might be fun, but I can do that with my son's pellet rifle just as easily.

~Pramrider

X

xdeadx

1. What level of experience do you have with firearms? None =P

2. How knowledgeable are you on firearms? Is your knowledge brief, extensive, or in between? Brief

3. Do you know the difference between repeating, semi-automatic, fully automatic, and machine gun?
Yes

Nopes

I guess it's okay to have them for protection. Guns are scary though I wouldn't own one.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i shot a rifle at a shooting range one time with my uncle thats about it
i dont really like guns that rifle scared the s*** out of me i forgot it would kick back ^^ lol

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other

Extensive. My family (dad's side, anyway) and myself are big-time hunters. We also like shooting competitively, IOW, for sport.

2. How knowledgeable are you on firearms? Is your knowledge brief, extensive, or in between?

Pretty extensive. My father was a big, hardcore Army guy before I was born. When he left the Army after my mom had me, He brought home rifles that were his during his time served -- which are still legally issued by the United States Army. About when I was 11 or 12, he started having me go through training and lessons on weapon safety, etc. When I was 14, I went to rifle academy through the US Marine Corps. and when I was 15, I went to Marksman Academy through the US Navy (<-- ROTC). I graduated from Marksman Academy pretty high, with an overall rank of 19 out of 20 (average for graduates are between 12 and 17). When I got home, I got my hunting license (now 16).

Of course -- and, I think "machine gun" qualifies as Fully Automatic. And, what, no burst? Who can forget the M16-A2/A4 ? As well as all the other burst-fire firearms? Also; don't forget firearm "classes"; LMG (Light Machine Gun), SMG (Submachine gun), etc.

Yes. Was the biggest thing they drove into your skull during Marksman Academy.

My thoughts? *looks over to 500lbs locker in basement* Firearms are great tools, and are great things to help you carry out a very fun hobby. JUST USE THEM RIGHT!!

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
My only experience with a gun was when I was in Cubs (like Scouts, but when you are a little younger). We got to shoot handguns, the Scouts got to handle bigger guns, but handguns were still cool. This was when we camped at this activity site that had a firing range.

Apart from that, I haven't touched a gun, since they're illegal, and I'm not in a gang!

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I've never had any experience with firearms, only kept a shotgun in my hand when I was a child (not loaded).
The only weapon I used were the soft air guns, but only at Luna Park.

As for knowledge, I know the name the parts of a gun and some kind of shotgun's bullet, since my granddad liked hunting and I followed him sometimes.
The only weapons I "know" are the guns that appears in war video games and the M1 Garand (Dad told me about it because he used it while during his military service),

as for Use, I think the should be used only for Hunting and with A LOT of attention.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well having spent 20 years in the Military I had extensive experiences with fire arms and weapons. From the 5.56 mm M-16 A1 and A2 to the 106 Recoilless Rifle(a Anti Tank Gun). I also worked on a few type of Surface to Air Missile systems too. One of the Highlights of my career was firing a Chaparral missile(a ground launched Sidewinder). This was in 1986 on the island of Crete in the Mediterranean.:smile:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I know how to load clips, turn the safety on and off, how to shoot. I haven't used shotguns much at all. I fired off blanks in one however tough I don't know how to discharge the shells that well. Anyways I'd rather shoot with a Pistol or with a M-16/Ak-47 since they seam the easiest to work with and got good power and range. Of course I wouldn't mind trying a sniper rifle at all.

Anyway in the end I know guns are not toys and I grew up in the city where we don't really get taught about guns at all.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
very little. when i was 12 or 13 i went target shooting out in the desert. best time was when i was target shooting a warm bottle of soda with the guy that brought the guns. i was using a 9mm glock i believe and i was the one to hit it :D all of a sudden i had two over 40 old guys screaming at me "SHOOT IT IN THE AIR!!!" lol. i was so excited that forgot to shoot it multiple times. the shot went right through the bottom section of the bottle and it went up like a rocket. sooo fun.

very little. the only knowledge i pick up is either from video games, war stories, or from what i know just by reading and listening.

not quite. i thought that repeating and fully automatic were the same... unless there's a difference between set fully auto and a gun like the m16 that has a thumb switch to choose between the settings.

no. what is that actually?

they're great for target practice, but outside of that and especially with two curious kids in the house i'd rather not own one at this place and time in life. too dangerous.

Role
Diaper Lover
I'd love to shoot an airborne object with a Bullet instead of shot. I bet I could hit it with our old Springfield .22

Enough, Fired my fashas .22 a good deal, got my own, Killed a few rodents with it. (awesome) My Father and I shoot shotguns regularly at skeet targets, (Clap Pigeons,) Hard to hit, at least it was a few days ago. And I have also fired a fully automatic Mac-10, Much to my enjoyment, and much to my future purchase.

In between Moderate and Extensive. Compared to a good majority of the others here, extensive. If you mean extensive by knowing how to dissemble all guns I own, then no, I do know how to take apart the two shotguns used by us most frequently, and possibly and most likely the pumps. I know how to clean all the guns we use however.

Why yes, In fact we have a Winchester 30/30 repeater in our front cabinet right next to our front entry door.

Now that I looked them up to know what you meant by Cartridge Designators, and I would have known what they were before, if I knew that Cartridge Designator = Caliber.

Pretty much anything you want, I do agree with MINOR restrictions, such as No Assault weapons with out a permit. I think they are banned outright, has been a while since I have looked it up, I would like to have an assault weapon. :( I don't think I'll kill anyone with it.... I don't think so, anyway, yeah, Obama better not do what the NRA says he will. (Yes I know they are biased.)

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private

None :D (Except on games)

Brief I suppose

Somewhat

Not really

I want one...I have fantasies of having gun skills like in movies ^_^

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Here is some IMPORTANT safety advice
- Always check the chamber and treat the gun as if it were loaded.
- Also never ever ever put your hand on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot
- Be sure the target that you have want to shoot is safe to shoot .
- Where will my bullet go? think about it backdrops!
- Forget all the junk you saw in movies most of it is dangerous and highly irresponsible.
- Always Think before you shoot.
- Do you have a permit to shoot this animal?
- Is it safe to shoot this animal?
- Have I identified the animal to be fair game[ For instance making sure its not a doe or a fawn]
- Is this firearm safe and at operating standards and am I using the right ammunition for the firearm?
- Would I be doing this if a cop or game warden were with me? if not stop immediatly!
- Do I have all of my permits and papers to go hunting?
- Are my hunting partners up to par on safely operating and discharging a firearm?
- Is there anyone else around here who could mistake me for an animal?
- Is my tree stand up to par with safety and could it support my weight and hunting gear?

Happy shooting and remember safety is the #1 priority!
Thank you Secret101 for these safety tips. Firearms must always be treated like they are loaded!

Of course -- and, I think "machine gun" qualifies as Fully Automatic. And, what, no burst? Who can forget the M16-A2/A4 ? As well as all the other burst-fire firearms? Also; don't forget firearm "classes"; LMG (Light Machine Gun), SMG (Submachine gun), etc.

Firearms are great tools, and are great things to help you carry out a very fun hobby. JUST USE THEM RIGHT!!
Sorry, Mm3. I tend to think of burst weapons in the same category as the Fully auto. While a machine gun is just a subdivision of fully automatic, I listed it just to check to see if people understand the difference between a M16 and a M2. Then again, I also left out the Gatling gun. This type would be fun chambered for 22LR with an electric motor. Thank you for mentioning proper usage. Safe use should always be priority number 1, especially with such a lethal tool.

not quite. i thought that repeating and fully automatic were the same... unless there's a difference between set fully auto and a gun like the m16 that has a thumb switch to choose between the settings.

no. what is that actually?

They're great for target practice, but outside of that and especially with two curious kids in the house i'd rather not own one at this place and time in life. too dangerous.
Kite, Thank you for your response. I appreciate your honesty. Young children and guns don't mix. I applaud your decision to ensure the safety of those in your home above your personal desires.

I will try to briefly answer your questions. A repeating firearm is one designed to allow the operator to chamber another round already contained within the firearm. This description is valid for revolvers, bolt action rifles, and pump action shotguns. Nothing is done automatically within these weapons. The operator must actually perform a specific task before the gun is ready to fire again. The automatic weapons use some energy from the fired round to chamber the next one.

For cartridge designators, this specifies which type of ammunition is used within a weapon. People commonly refer to the ammunition as "bullets", but this is not the most correct term. Each cartridge contains one bullet (the actual projectile), one primer (the thing hit to fire the round), powder, and the shell casing (the brass that holds it all together). Some examples of designators are .22 LR (long rifle), 22 Hornet, .220 swift, and .223 Remington. These all use the same bullet diameter, but are not interchangeable. The metric system may also be used such as 8mm Mauser, 9mm Luger, and 10 mm.

Oh, now that I have time, I should sit down and answer my own questions.
My level of experience is fairly high. My father started preaching firearm safety since I was about 4 years old. At age 7, Dad took my brother (5 yrs old) and I out for our first shooting lesson. I took the Oregon hunter safety course at the earliest possible age (12). My 12th birthday present was a Winchester model 94 lever action cambered in 30-30 Win. From an early age (about 8), I was reading books and magazines on firearms. I have also taken the United States Air Force M16 qualification course 3 times.

I would have to say fairly extensive. I have researched military weapons, rifles, shotguns, handguns, and stay current with new developments through the internet and Guns and Ammo magazine.

Yes!

Yes!

I personally own a variety of firearms to include 2 hunting rifles, one pump shotgun, a 22LR rifle and pistol, and a Colt Anaconda revolver. I exercise my right to go hunting and target practice as often as possible. My shotgun and handgun both stand ready to defend my home. I enjoy owning and using firearms.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
And I have also fired a fully automatic Mac-10, Much to my enjoyment, and much to my future purchase.
I got (had) one of those, it got really hot and the damned barrel melted (warped a bit inside, was deemed unusable for safety!) Before that, the thing jammed like crazy, and the sights were beggin' to get replaced. Same with the Uzi and my one of my father's prized firearms, a G3 modified.

M16 and a M2
...and M3/M4 if you want to be accurate ;) The .30cal Carbine sits in my dad's hunting jeep as we speak :)

Here is some IMPORTANT safety advice
- Always check the chamber and treat the gun as if it were loaded.
- Also never ever ever put your hand on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot .
- Be sure the target that you have want to shoot is safe to shoot .
- Where will my bullet go? think about it backdrops!
- Forget all the junk you saw in movies most of it is dangerous and highly irresponsible.
- Always Think before you shoot.
- Do you have a permit to shoot this animal?
- Is it safe to shoot this animal?
- Have I identified the animal to be fair game[ For instance making sure its not a doe or a fawn]
- Is this firearm safe and at operating standards and am I using the right ammunition for the firearm?
- Would I be doing this if a cop or game warden were with me? if not stop immediatly!
- Do I have all of my permits and papers to go hunting?
- Are my hunting partners up to par on safely operating and discharging a firearm?
- Is there anyone else around here who could mistake me for an animal?
- Is my tree stand up to par with safety and could it support my weight and hunting gear?
:D. +1. If you hate reading rules, don't go to rifle and/or marksman academy! They will drill this so hard into your head that you'd have to repeat it off-hand every time they hand you a rifle before you are cleared to fire!

Role
Diaper Lover
I know ours is a model 18(blank) I'll have to look it up I am sure that it is on the gun.

How long is the m16 course, Do I have to be in the Armed forces (I assume no), how much does it cost, where is it offered (military bases)?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
An M16A2 (not in circulation after intro of M16A4, which also is phasing out with the intro of the M4) ***must*** be issued through the United States Military. If you ain't on active duty, you ain't getting one legally. And if you're caught with an illegal automatic weapon? big big jail time.

The M16A4 (latest generation of the M16) is a longer firearm compared to the M4. The Army and Marine Corps are phasing out the M16 in favor of the shorter M4. Why? Because with the M4 and doing Spec Ops over in the Middle East. What's easier, raiding a building with a long rifle or with a short one, -- where you have to burst through doors and aim your rifle quicker at possible enemy targets?

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Mr. Alex, the Air Force course takes most of a day. It is not very thorough. Compared to the Army or Marine Corp, the level of proficiency is laughable. We are not even allowed to select burst or auto mode (depending upon which variant was issued for training). The course is only given to active duty military members.

Mm3, the M2 is a belt fed .50 caliber heavy machine gun, unless I am mistaken. Compared to the M16, there is a significant difference. I am not familiar with the M3, but must google it after this reply. The M4 is replacing the M16. I am hoping accuracy and range is not sacrificed too much. Then again, the Air Force is very slow to replace small arms. A M16 modified to A2 spec was issued to me in 2003 during my trip to the desert. The "auto" marking for the selector switch was stamped out with "XXX" and burst was stamped below it. Whoever did the stamping did not bother to line up the letters in a neat row. Thankfully, I did not have to fire that particular rifle.

Edit: MM3, I have heard of the grease gun before, but never heard the official designator, M3. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Role
Diaper Lover
Friend of my father owns a Mac-10, but it is registered to Michigan. (Has a silencer, I don't think they know that.) :)

Can I take the Army one as a Civilian?

Status
Not open for further replies.