Your career; what did you WANT to do, as opposed to what you're doing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude84

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I was just sat here thinking that i'm probably not the only person in this situation, i.e. wanting to have pursued a different career to the one i'm in now (albeit, technically none atm, as i'm unemployed :-/).

Since I was 12 I wanted to be a doctor, then I got a little "confused" after being fairly good with IT, then I concluded that I could probably use both and go into research, medical electronics or something similar.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was bullied extensively at school, and became rather depressed; consequently, I screwed up my GCSEs significantly, as I had no motivation and thus didn't do any revision.

My results considering I didn't revise weren't too bad, 2 Bs and 4 Cs (and some er, lower grades) but they were and are just not good enough; I took double-science, meaning you are awarded two grades, but only scored CC in that; hardly of any interest to any college for biology, a must to go onto medicine.

So now, i'm stuck here pondering all of this; I guess I could try and correct the mistakes of the past, but i'm too old I think (23) to go through that all again.

So, any thoughts?

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a writer.

And I am. I just don't get paid for it.

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've done several things in my life - military, marketing, nurse - and I have enjoyed them all. I really enjoy being a nurse and find my previous experience helps with my current career. I also have found that life is what you make of it.

tom

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So now, i'm stuck here pondering all of this; I guess I could try and correct the mistakes of the past, but i'm too old I think (23) to go through that all again.

Although, I guess ,this is easy for me to say, I'm still going to say it.
You're never too old, pursue your dreams.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
I actually wanted to be a Machinist, being able to make nearly anything out of metal on lathes, milling machines, and other machine tools. I gave up because most places wouldn't hire me due to my skinny size just out of HS. They dealt with machining objects VERY large and heavy, and worried I'd get seriously hurt trying to handle them.

Instead I took a Drafter Trainee job at the local gas & electric utility co. and ended up working myself up through the ranks to retire in 2006 as a Senior Mechanical Designer. Never got to be the machinist I wanted to be, but I create the drawings machinists need to work from.

~Pramrider

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Well I grew us wanting to be an architect, finaly got into school for it. Only to see that what I wanted was to make things that would last. To solve problems on my own terms. That only the idea of an arch would do this, because they have to give what the client wants. So now I am an artist. Would not say I am starving, but I am not selling out of work either. My goal is to reopen the studio that I had in highschool. Though this time I will make it my way. Back then I was limited with being under 18 and no degree. No bank would give me a loan to upgrade a business. Though I hope to have a Public art studio that not only has my own space to sell to people but a gallary, and studio space for rent to artist in the back. I just need to get ahold of a building about the size of a walmart and find a few artist that would like to make a "home" with me.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
There is actually this same thread on the VIP forum, so no clue what will happen to it...But anyways...

I have no clue what I want to do with my life...

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
i never had any notions of what i wanted to do when i grew up, and i still don't. i was quite worried that that would be a big problem for me when i got to the age of adulthood, but so far it hasn't turned out to be any impediment at all. i'm quite happy and i work two different jobs, both of which i love. so if you're still in school and haven't come up with any winning career goals, i wouldn't fret too much about it.

legokid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Forensic scientist with all the forensic stuff and the human diaections and blood and crimes and murder and money and taking over the world and money and killing and criminals and taking over the world and taking over the world and taking over the world and taking over the world and taking over the world the list is endless

Dude84

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
There is actually this same thread on the VIP forum, so no clue what will happen to it...But anyways...

I have no clue what I want to do with my life...

Actually Pojo, as you obviously haven't noticed, i'm not a VIP so I don't have access to that area. Aside from that, trying to search thousands (?) of posts for duplication is difficult, especially when the search function returns sometimes rather irrelevant results.

If it is closed or moved to the VIP area, I will complain accordingly.

--

Aside from that, thanks to everyone who's posted so far :)

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
As a youngster, I have a lot of choices. Currently I can see myself being happy in some sort of public speaking position.
More, however I'd love to be... as conceited as it sounds, to go down as being a New Millennium Renaissance artist. I strive to be masterful, at any form of art. Whether it be music, acting, fine art, architecture, I cant get enough of it. It's an addiction. Just, the warm fuzzy feeling that my works no matter how crappy now, will be remembered next year, five years, twenty, one hundred, thousands of years from now. Anything you archive electronically, is never gone. There will always be some piece of me, sort of left behind. I... I'd like that.
So, my current plan for the future is this: majoring animation, and illustration, minoring in theatre.
Freelance, whilst teaching others to preform or create their own works.

After all; Who here doesn't feel their happiest after creating something great and saying
"Wow, I did that!"

It goes the other way too, if you do something "bad" you get the opposite feeling don't cha?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Actually Pojo, as you obviously haven't noticed, i'm not a VIP so I don't have access to that area. Aside from that, trying to search thousands (?) of posts for duplication is difficult, especially when the search function returns sometimes rather irrelevant results.

I know you aren't a VIP, hence why I didn't give a link...So don't go saying I obviously didn't notice

spacemanBEN

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
My first choice is obvious; ROCK STAR! That would be epic. However, seeing as the average Canadian musician makes a whopping $15000 a year, it might not be all that realistic as a career choice. That won't stop me from trying though. Instead, right now I'm spending my days in Chemistry and Physics classes feeling not all that motivated to be there. Being a doctor wouldn't be bad though.

Tigger

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'd like to finish my diploma and go to a proper uni instead of just tafe. I should be able to get in with a diploma as a mature aged student. Anyways, right now I'm going for my diploma in web development, I want to go the next step up from that though. I didn't go all the way through school and I haven't got a hsc, which is why I can't get in now.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
All my life I was told I wanted to be a music teacher...so I believed them (adults are always right, you know!). I went to university to study music...but that didn't go so well, because it wasn't really what I wanted to do.

Then I thought maybe nursing (that's what my cousin was doing)...but no...that wasn't it either.

Got a business diploma and joined the military...yeah...world travel! Woohoo! Oh, but I have back problems (that I wasn't aware of until after I joined)...so whilst I could do my trade, I couldn't be a soldier.

Hmmm...what to do? Living in a very small town, no one was hiring secretaries fresh out of school. Moved to another area and took business computers...got a job in a video store (that wasn't for me either).

Got married....okay, I did the wife and mother thing fairly well, but I wanted more.

Soooo, I took a course in horticulture & horticulture design. Problem...I'm allergic to evergreens, fertilisers, pesticides, and the humidity inside a greenhouse makes it almost impossible for me to breathe.

Back to the idea of secretarial stuff...not much luck with that...town wasn't big enough to support all of the people who had the skills! So, I went to work in a call centre...too easy...except I'm allergic to perfumes and even tho' they claimed to be a 'scent free' work environment...they lied! They actually had scented air fresheners in the washrooms which gave me severe migraines! YAY!

So here I am....many years and many jobs (I did not mention all the jobs I've had over the years) later...and I still don't know what I really want to do with my life. I'm at the age where I would have been retiring if I'd been able to stay in the military. Now, I'm thinking I'd like to be involved in tourism...as a tour guide or even working in a tourist information bureau....something to do with tourism, anyway. But...at the moment I'm unable to work at all, due to medical issues....sooooooo...who knows!?

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I *want* to be a musician, but I just don't have that talent =\

So instead I'm going to be a professional student. I want to die many years from now, a few credits short of something :)

Dude84

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I know you aren't a VIP, hence why I didn't give a link...So don't go saying I obviously didn't notice

Then why make the reference in the first place? It was nothing but patronising; furthermore, don't tell me what to or what not to write, that's just ridiculous.

MF.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I always wanted to play pipe organ, and so went to Westminster Choir College in Princeton N.J., and got my degree in Church Music with organ as a major and voice as a minor. Upon graduation I taught at a private school for a year, and then went to a large 3200 member Methodist Church where I continued my education as well as played for all of the called upon duties. I practiced 7 and 8 hours a day and became very good. I and family moved to Lynchurg and continued as a church music director and continued to play organ concerts. I was recorded and played on air by Public Radio. I later joined a rock band and played for 15 years. So I accomplished the things I thought I wanted to do.

I would not be a church musician if I could do it all over again. Typical congregations never seem to know what kind of music they want. Some want this, and some want that. They can be incredibly ugly, to the staff, and to each other. Everyone thinks they are your boss, and they all want different things. It's like teaching in the public school, you have to be crazy to make it a career.

Well that's the other thing I do; I work in a public school, but I work mostly with computers. They don't talk back to you, are give you attitude. If I could start over again, it would probably be something involving computers.

MarcusBear

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
I don't have any occupation at the moment.

Similiar to Pojo I don't have a clue what I'd like to do. To my recollection I've never had a grand scheme to follow or a conformable idea of what direction I want to take my life into, no aspirations or goals. I've got interests that I could have pursued but I can't see myself doing them for a living, I'm not motivated enough. I've been constantly reassured by my tutors I was taught by and parents that'll one day something will just come to mind, clearly it has yet to happen and I'm beginning to question if it ever will afterall I'm not getting any younger. I expect I'll just drift from one job to another, I'm content with that idea, that or stick with one job and rise from the bottom, assuming of course that it's a possibility. not that I need a pretentious, high paying job to feel fortunate. I don't want to turn into one of them arrogant ****s thankyouverymuch. Any job so long as it pays suits me just fine.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I don't have any occupation at the moment.

Similiar to Pojo I don't have a clue what I'd like to do. To my recollection I've never had a grand scheme to follow or a conformable idea of what direction I want to take my life into, no aspirations or goals. I've got interests that I could have pursued but I can't see myself doing them for a living, I'm not motivated enough. I've been constantly reassured by my tutors I was taught by and parents that'll one day something will just come to mind, clearly it has yet to happen and I'm beginning to question if it ever will afterall I'm not getting any younger. I expect I'll just drift from one job to another, I'm content with that idea, that or stick with one job and rise from the bottom, assuming of course that it's a possibility. not that I need a pretentious, high paying job to feel fortunate. I don't want to turn into one of them arrogant ****s thankyouverymuch. Any job so long as it pays suits me just fine.

Pretty much...

Status
Not open for further replies.