You win the jackpot on the lottery..

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuctifano

Est. Contributor
Role
what is the first thing you spend money on?

I would personally buy a nice bottle of whisky to celebrate and then look into booking a trip into space. :biggrin:

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
How much is this money, or better yet, how much do I get after taxes.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
So $167,084,377.61 for Americans
$180,100,250.62 for Canadians
$199,832,915.62 for Australians
€117,209,690.89 for whoever uses that
¥15,818,713,450.29 (for the couple of people in Japan).

Anyways, for that amount, I'd buy a nice car and house, definitely. I'd quit my job, get a degree (at the best money can buy too). Go on vacation.

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
I'd buy a new computer...
Maybe a house later.
A car?
I would drop out of school. Who needs it? I got a fricken butt load of money! Haha.

Spiro910

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
I would invest some and save the rest on the bank. Get a cheap car and a cheap apartment AFTER I'm done living with my mother (I'm 17, so I have a while left). After this, I would probably not touch the money again until I set up a private consultation (or clinic? IDK the term... Place where I would see my talk and analyze my patients.) when I'm done with medschool and postmedschool studies being a shrink and all :) [psychiatrist shrink, not the psychologist type.]. I would also teach whatever I'm best on (obviously, medical-related) at a university. And then... when I have my future safe, I'd buy a very luxurious house and a great sports car :D (a Tesla Roadster, you know.. You can never care too much about the ecosystem).

Remember, people don't remain rich by blowing off all their money. It's the rich poor man's "syndrome" and typical behavior for people with new-found money to get their money, spend it all, and cut off their money income possibilities (like dropping out of school or quitting a job) just to be left poor at the end with less chances of getting money than before, because money comes and goes but time and intelligence don't, as well with physical capabilities [you will never get those 3 back]. Gotta think before you act :)

Dude84

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Hmm, pay off some remaining minor debts, do what i've wanted to with my computing configuration (five monitors, etc), go on a worldwide multi-location holiday, give my mother £1 million [as that's all she wants apparently], and er, probably buy a flat somewhere.

As for the rest of it, i'm not entirely sure, although I do have some ideas.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Invest at least 50 million (rounding off for sake of simplicity) in Treasury Inflation Protected Securities to protect my long term wealth. Invest at least 30 million in a moderately conservative way. Use 10 million as venture capital for something. Use the last 10 million for a week in vegas with hookers and blow.

F

Falkio

Invest in a good education. Despite being wealthy, I would retain my work ethic and seek intellectual prestige. Other than that, invest in Real Estate when the market recovers. For fun, I'd bring a dozen friends to Anthrocon next year and book a huge suite. That would be the bees knees, I think.

Role
  1. Private
I would have some one buy me a bottle of Champlain. Not an expensive one, I'd go for one on the cheaper end of the scale. After all I'm not a connoisseur of anything so why wast my money when i can't tell the difference. Then I'd buy a car, nothing fancy, I wouldn't buy a Bentley, Rolls, or a Maybach. although there is a dealership within 5 minutes walking distance that sells those. I would probably get a midsized luxury sedan. I would definitely get a car with an automatic transmission, because shifting sucks. I'd then hire someone to teach me to drive. I'd get a good ass laptop. I'd get my first Ipod or other Mp3 player. I'd buy some new clothes. I'd get a bike to replace the fucked up twisted piece of Trek that has been sitting in my garage ever sense that dumb cunt ran me over wile I was riding my bike on the side walk. I would probably buy up some cheap real estate and sell it once the prices go back up. I would donate some to various organizations like Save the Bay, Green Peace, WWF, Earth Share, and others.

~Eric

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'd pay all of my family's debts and MAYBE give them some extra cash 20-50 grand (spread the wealth, you got like 167+ million)

Go on two vacations with everyone I care about one with family and one with friends.

Buy a few cars (mini-cooper, VW Beetle, a few BMW's)

Buy the houses off of my dad and completly pay them off.

Provide the financial backing to one of my family members company's to get it started.

Pay off all of my church's debt's and give a undecided amount of money for future use.

Pay off all of my "best" former teachers debts and give them some money on top 5000 - 25,000.

I don't think I would want a mansion or anything like that, or even change my life that much. Of course I would never "work" again, but you always need something to do or make some sort of impact however big or small.

it's like Bono of U2 or Oprah. I think they both have enough assets and money to just stop their careers and never do a single damn thing ever again. But for some reason they are still doing what they feel like they are meant to do.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I would spend it all on gravel. Gravel, can you imagine the possibilities of having $170 million worth of gravel? Wowzers! If they run out of gravel, you can move to volcanic rock, sand, and finally uncut diamonds. I hear those are relatively cheap. Then you can just... buy old mines and get the rocks out of there with immigrant workers. Legal of course.

Then you can throw rocks at birds!

WoXxY

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Incontinent
A diaper production factory. I'm tired of diapers that just don't cut it.

Seriously though, aside from blowing a couple million at first, do you REALLY think you're going to go through a million dollars a year for the rest of your life? (167 million?) Screw higher education! Why waste a few years on it to do what, get a job? Working for a boss who has less money than you do? Wasting your time just to get less pay than what your 100 or so million is gathering in interest? I really don't get it..

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Pay off all of my current debts. Make sure I get my insurance paid for the year! Or for life!

After giving plenty of cash to my friends and family (because the best way to make sure they don't ask you in the future is the spread preventative wealth), I'd buy my way into Yale, Harvard, or Princeton (because I firmly believe that you can do anything you want to with enough money), and then I'd buy my own publishing house.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
A paperclip, then trade up.

Wasn't that a person how constantly kept trading things. And got a house eventually?

But I don't tend to want big things usually. Or at least can't really be bought for money.

But might get a new camera and travel the world with a few friends. That'll be fun.

What to spend the other money on? I might start a few shed/garage projects. And make all sorts of weird and wonderful machines and vehicles.

Role
  1. Private
what is the first thing you spend money on?

I would personally buy a nice bottle of whisky to celebrate and then look into booking a trip into space. :biggrin:

The first thing I'd spend money on would be a nice custom-built house for my parents wherever they wanted another one. They own their own place and have it how they want it, but they keep flirting with the idea of moving out-of-country to retire.

The second thing would be a nice house for myself in the same town as the university I attend. I'd keep this one, buy it outright, and offer a rent-free scholarship to someone in my approximate situation. I'd be on the phone to my committee and let them know I was going to take a semester off to see a significant portion of the world, but that I'd be back the following semester to finish up. I'd also pay off the bills of a couple friends and mentors so they could better enjoy their earnings.

If I could invest at a greater return than student loan accrual rates (I'm sure I could), then I'd pay off student loans at a normal rate.

Insofar as what I want to do in life, that would remain unchanged. It would, however, be REALLY nice to head into any job knowing that you don't absolutely need it to avoid living in a box on the street. Something intangible: I'd start a family right away. And, to remain genetically competitive with those of far lesser ability, would keep spawning children. It would be my gift to the world, and an attempt to stave off an outcome as presented in Idiocrity.

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'd just run and hide. I wouldn't tell a soul. I wouldn't even hint it.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Buy myself and parents houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.