• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Xbox rrod

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
I am out an Xbox now. I was playing Call Of Duty online this morning and it started saying it could not read the disc so I restarted it. It never made it to the dashbored.

I'm most likely just going to fork out the money for a brand new one instead of a used one

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Doesn't Microsoft still fix this issue for free? Anyways I heard the new 360's that come with the "Jasper" CPU are very less prone to suffering from the RROD.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I bought it used and had it moded to play burned games dought they will fix it.

F

Falkio

Don't trust Microsoft

Doesn't Microsoft still fix this issue for free? Anyways I heard the new 360's that come with the "Jasper" CPU are very less prone to suffering from the RROD.
Yes, but you will get it back in a week with a bullshit legal disclaimer detailing "why you're not entitled to a repair under our policy".

I recommend doing it yourself. Its easier than people think, I promise!

If you know about PC hardware, then this should go pretty smoothly. The internals are a lot different, so just a heads up, but the parts are essentially the same. Everything is on-board (no expansion cards or RAM) and it has two GPU's you will need to clean. The theory is that the thermal paste "leaks", and causes a short. The Xbox will report a hardware error and video output will cease. The RRoD is covered under a warranty for a free fix, but the stipulations are very specific. You might just get it back without an explanation, containing a nice letter from Microsoft. Who knows? That didn't do me any good. There is an $11.00 kit on ebay to fix RRoD. It comes with plastic spacers, some screws, a screwdriver, and something else.

Here is the gist of it. The steps are pretty simple:

1.) Remove the faceplate
2.) Use a small screwdriver to pop the covers off
3.) Pull off the side panel
4.) Begin removing components until you reach the system board
5.) Remove it, the heat sinks, and anything else in the way.
6.) Clean the GPU's. Add thermal paste. Remount the board using the kit.
7.) Turn on the console without the fan to "cook".
8.) If you see green. You're good to go! Reassemble and enjoy.

There is like, a 90% success rate for kit repairs. I am going to do one for my friends Xbox.

Repair Kit
RRoD Fix

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, just PM me. :)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I bought it used and had it moded to play burned games dought they will fix it.
Well of course they won't you void the warranty by modding it.

Anyways you could always try the towel trick or even go as far to replace whatever part is busted. As for getting a PS3 for reliability, a gaming PC would be better since it has most of the same games as the 360 and it would be a awesome computer in general.

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, , Other
Yes, but you will get it back in a week with a bullshit legal disclaimer detailing "why you're not entitled to a repair under our policy".

I recommend doing it yourself. Its easier than people think, I promise!

If you know about PC hardware, then this should go pretty smoothly. The internals are a lot different, so just a heads up, but the parts are essentially the same. Everything is on-board (no expansion cards or RAM) and it has two GPU's you will need to clean. The theory is that the thermal paste "leaks", and causes a short. The Xbox will report a hardware error and video output will cease. The RRoD is covered under a warranty for a free fix, but the stipulations are very specific. You might just get it back without an explanation, containing a nice letter from Microsoft. Who knows? That didn't do me any good. There is an $11.00 kit on ebay to fix RRoD. It comes with plastic spacers, some screws, a screwdriver, and something else.

Here is the gist of it. The steps are pretty simple:

1.) Remove the faceplate
2.) Use a small screwdriver to pop the covers off
3.) Pull off the side panel
4.) Begin removing components until you reach the system board
5.) Remove it, the heat sinks, and anything else in the way.
6.) Clean the GPU's. Add thermal paste. Remount the board using the kit.
7.) Turn on the console without the fan to "cook".
8.) If you see green. You're good to go! Reassemble and enjoy.

There is like, a 90% success rate for kit repairs. I am going to do one for my friends Xbox.

Repair Kit
RRoD Fix

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, just PM me. :)
correction, turn on the console with the fan ONLY on the CPU to cook the GPU. It'll keep the overheat failsafe from triggering, thus allowing the GPU to reflow the BGA cold solder joints, instead of getting hot but not hot enough, and then shutting off because the CPU failsafe overheated.

*coughs* get a PS3!!
*coughs again* more reliable!!
Yes, do get a 500 dollar interactive blu-ray player! They're much more expensive, even more bulky, so you can use them to keep the oodles of cash you must apparently have [since you can afford a PS3] from blowing away, and don't have awesome games such as [for one], the biggest reason to have a 360, Halo 3! Plus, it plays DVD's on steroids! And, you get to install games to it! Every time you want to play a new one, install it! How fun is that? :sarcasm:

Either way. Yeah. There is a fix.

Also, never towel bake. That's a dangerous idea that only patches the problem temporarily, if it doesn't create more in the process, instead of fixing the true problem [the X-Clamps]. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

F

Falkio

correction, turn on the console with the fan ONLY on the CPU to cook the GPU. It'll keep the overheat failsafe from triggering, thus allowing the GPU to reflow the BGA cold solder joints, instead of getting hot but not hot enough, and then shutting off because the CPU failsafe overheated.
Well then...

Don't you think he'd catch these fine details in the research process before doing anything to his console? (assuming he was responsible about it). If you seriously attempted a repair with just my advice, then you're probably going to fail.

Nobody ever takes what I say with a grain of salt. :sad:

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
Yeah, there's a nice guide on Llamma.com about this. Interestingly enough, I just picked up a RRoD console for $20 today, and with 7 bucks worth of parts, I repaired it in about an hour... Playing Halo 3 on it now [as a test, I already own one 360.] On a related note, anyone wanna buy a 360? :lol:

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I think it may be over heating. I went to work and just got back. I decided to turn it on and whatca know it works.

BTW the towel trick is trash it only hurts it more, would you wanna over heat computer cause i wouldn't

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I saw that someone wants a Liqued cooling system for there pc, and since I think that my xbox is just overheating, I thought about buying one.

What do you think?

It only Red Rings when it get warm. Having a fan on the xbox seems to keep it from red ringing as much

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
Haha. Try fitting a Liquid Cooling System inside a 360. I'd love to see that. Honestly. =)

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
Holy sh*t. I have seen it. But, it costs more than the F**KING Exbawks alone! And, what happens when you don't turn it on/have it unplugged when turning the Xblock, er, Xbox on?

codered

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
But still who wouldn't want to be one of the few people with a watercooled 360?

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Yeah, there's a nice guide on Llamma.com about this. Interestingly enough, I just picked up a RRoD console for $20 today, and with 7 bucks worth of parts, I repaired it in about an hour... Playing Halo 3 on it now [as a test, I already own one 360.] On a related note, anyone wanna buy a 360? :lol:
depends how much it'd cost me. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.