Xbox 360 Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Every time I turn on my xbox, it freezes 5-10 min. into gameplay.

It doesnt matter which game it is. Any ideas???

I've had it for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem before last week when this started

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Try cleaning the fan and the disks and the disk tray...I honestly don't know, since I've never really had a problem with my 360

Tungsten

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Are you getting the Red Rings of Death on the power button?

Mine doesn't freeze, but no matter what game I'm playing, at least once a night mine will pop up a "The Disc is Unreadable" error, forcing a restart.

Tungsten

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
If it's happening on every game, I don't think it's the discs. Can you boot it without putting a game in the tray?

isaactheman

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
try cleaning it with those compressed air bottles that u can buy at the nearest electronics store...if that doesn't work then it may be signs telling you it's almost the xbox's time =[

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
It's overheating then. It might not do it now, but give it some time and the solder will break, blessing you with the ring of death. Apparently there is a way to fix this, involving wrapping it in four or five towels for 10 minutes then leaving it cool for another 10 minutes, this has mixed results.

But sadly, it won't help with this situation. It's highly unlikely that it's the laser as the game wouldn't start, but it's more likely overheating. I'd call Microsoft even though they're about as useful as fighting fire with petrol.

steel

Est. Contributor
Yea I agree with spirit. It overheating problems. Just prepare yourself to be without your 360 for a couple weeks. I don't know how that feels but i heard it sucks.

Korey

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Your going to get the "three red flashing lights" within three days. Have fun.

Tafshin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It cans be intercooler time nao?

Seriously, those help. Also.. having it in an open area, not in a cabinet where the vents cant get as much air.

Also, my 360 tended get a little jittery in the horizontal position.. so I had to keep it vertical.. Havent had any problems recently though.

Also, overheating could possibly be due to your power brick putting out weird amounts of powar..

Good luck with that.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
i think i'm going to go get one of those little air compressor things for the keyboards. ^ it IS in the vertical position, but it is kind of dusty.

Tafshin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I was just saying mine works better vertical, but yours could be different. it does sound more like a dust issue.

codered

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
even if the rrod did happen ALL xbox 360s are under warranty so the most that could happen is you lose the 360 until they get it fixed

isaactheman

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
i think i'm going to go get one of those little air compressor things for the keyboards. ^ it IS in the vertical position, but it is kind of dusty.
yeah dust stops all the hot air from going into the fan and out of the xbox causing it to over heat so just give it a good spray down and cleaning and that should stop your over heating problem..

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Game consoles shouldn't -really- be getting too dusty in the first place. Also, 7th Generation game consoles require much greater care in terms of cooling. You can't just stick your Blu-Ray player under it and your set top box on top of it with millions of cables blocking the fans. You must make sure there is at least 10cm of free space at the back of the unit and about 5 on each side.

Also, I do NOT recommend that you stand it up, this is when people are getting the scratched discs. Apparently it's because the laser diode assembly is actually touching the disc. This is a BIG design flaw as the diode slides up and down on two rails. Plus, if it didn't scratch the discs, it would probably not read them because it would have an extremely hard time trying to focus (this is especially true for dual layer discs). This is why you should never touch the lens because it can force them out of focus and possibly scratch them.

But, if you are absolutely sure it's a dust problem, do NOT use canned air, this will blow the dust around the system and probably cause even more problems. Use a high powered vacuum cleaner instead, but be careful as vacuum cleaners do like to generate a lot of static.

But again, do not use compressed air. The dust might get disturbed, but if it's not coming out (which it won't), it will settle elsewhere and cause more problems.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Your going to get the "three red flashing lights" within three days. Have fun.

damn u Korey!!!!

The infamous 3 red flashing lights popped up yesterday. i called microsoft and i have to ship my xbox out to them (they are paying for shipping).

wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies.