Would you join a weight loss support group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillWheatThins

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
So, I'm really liking ADISC... I've read a lot of threads that demonstrate how truly supportive people are around here, and I was thinking...

Well, 2017 is right around the corner and regardless of what you may think of New Year Resolutions, I'm resolving to lose some weight. The studies show that you increase your chances of success when you have accountability partners, so I thought this support could exist here on ADISC... if there's enough interest.

We could exchange recipes, discuss our tactics for getting in more exercise, vent about our cravings... that kind of thing.

:dunno:

Anyone think a weight loss group would be a good idea?

I'm interested in losing weight but I'm unsure how active I would be in a group if I joined one.

I'd be interested in seeing how it is if I can remain active enough in it.

Studies have shown that when you surround yourself with others trying to loose weight then you are more likely work together as a group mentality- feeding off each other. Of course, studies also show that when you go out of your way to join a group activity, that sooner or later you will likely drop that group in favor of your normal routine.

I am in one and it does help, but it can also become a cop-out group to easily if not moderated.

I do have a thread in the "foodie" group on this, but that is just to share Ideas.

I'm actually underweight :p I need to put on weight ;)

That being said, I guess it'll benefit other users on adisc.

Good idea, but I would not join. I can't give up coffee & I can't drink it without sugary creamer. My weight isn't that awfully bad anyway, though I wish it were a bit lower.

Mine's puppy-fat.
(I don't like the taste of kittens)

I wouldn't mind losing 10 or 15 lbs. I've already got a plan and it involves exercising. I'm probably going to have to wait until the new year because there's too much food in my house.

About ten years ago my wife joined WeightWatchers and I followed along with her (though not being a member) and lost 50 lbs. Then they got weird (I guess the extra cents they got from their rediculous marketing changes made up for alienating people).

It really depends on your social nature as to whether the "support" aspects of the meetings will help you or not.

Maxx said:
Group things work for some people, not for me so much. There's another thread on shopping annoyances... Keeping too much food in the house is one of my pet peeves. Having to walk a mile to the store for a snack, and carry groceries back on foot would be doubly effective, no triply (is that a word?...sounds odd).

1. Additional exercise burns calories

2. Deters random munching

3. Saves money because you're only going to buy what you need, less chance of spoilage. We live close enough to a couple of grocery stores that we could theoretically get by without a refrigerator, just as I sometimes go for weeks without getting in or driving a car. To be fair, what I consider reasonable walking or cycling distance is probably a lot different than your average Joe.

I actually do watch what food I buy and bring home. My down falling is cookies, so I limit how many I buy. Come Christmas, friends will give us cookies. Last year, our daughter came in and baked cookies. But I also know I may have to buy no cookies and see how that works. I'll also need to up my exercise game which I think would benefit my overall health. My wife is relatively immobile since her amputation and nine years of kidney dialysis. I sit buy her to keep her company, but too much sitting is not good for my overall health. Something needs to change.

I suppose my piano practicing has given me a little exercise, but it's mostly movement to hands and arms which is almost nothing. Thanks for your response Maxx. I do appreciate it.

Yeah, I probably need to do this. I've got a stationary bike which is better than nothing. Thanks.

I'd love to be a part of a weight loss support group. I have 30lbs to get rid of.

I do worry about the winter though. I won't be able to do several hours of walking each week like I do during warmer days. :eek!:

I would definetly join. I really need to shed a few pounds. And I'm sure a support group with be the little extra motivation that I need.

ShippoFox said:
I do worry about the winter though. I won't be able to do several hours of walking each week like I do during warmer days. :eek!:

I used to use that excuse too but I finally decided to dress warmer and just do it. A ski mask is relatively cheap and makes a big difference. There are more risks in winter from traffic and icy spots, and it is a little harder trudging through snow with bulky clothes on, but the payoff is you get more exercise for about the same amount of time.

Ehhhh.... Maybe, but I dunno. I'd prefer not to have neighbors report they saw suspicious people wandering around in ski masks. XD I'm probably just going to try to make sure I do take shorter walks as often as possible. I don't necessarily have to do 90 minute walks four or five times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back