Would there be a way to be notified if I get quoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiani

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Other
Lets say this, I post somthing. Someone quotes me, in regard of the message I posted.

Would there be a way to get a message that I got quoted?

Like, everytime I get quoted I get a message saying that I got quoted just to let me know.

One of the other sites I go to (non-diaper related) does this, and it is a very effective way to let people know.

I am wondering if this is possible to do on this fourum.

Thanks!

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I think that would take a lot of work, if it is even possible.

I enjoy knowing when I'm quoted, especially if I am not around for a few days, and I don't want to check all threads.

What I suggest (and what I do) is use the search function and search your name "ForrestDixon" (as it would appear in the "Quote from ForrestDixon" part of a post) and view as posts.... anytime someone said your name (or quoted you) it will show up. Then you can click it, and respond or whatever from there. :)

I am not sure notifications is possible, and it's something only Moo can answer, but the best way to find out (as of now) is doing what I described above.

Last edited:

Kiani

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Other
I didnt know I could do that actually! Sounds good then. I will start doing that from now on, unless we can get a notification

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]From my experience of programming, something like this would take a lot of server resources. It wouldn't be too hard to actually make but could cause slowdowns of the forum.[/font]

Goose

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
It'd be easy, but it would require a vBulletin mod or some quick scripting. The easiest way I could think of would be to hook up a PM system to the quote button and a profile option. Turn it on and anytime the quote button is hit, instant PM. There'd need to be a few more loops so that it couldn't be abused, but wouldn't take long.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
What I do is I use the "Subscribed threads" feature. I think it does this automatically (if not, you'll be able to make it do this): when you post to a thread it subscribes to that thread, and then when somebody else replies to the thread it will appear in the User CP.

That way I see all the posts after mine, so if I'm quoted I will see it.
So when I click 'Reply' now, this thread will come up in my User CP whenever somebody replies.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't think it would be particularly difficult or resource intensive. When you quote someone's post, it includes an id that is used to link back to the original post. All you'd need to do is to add in some code to notify the poster of that message, if applicable (probably by PM or email, like a thread subscription). I think it's actually a neat idea.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
What I do is I use the "Subscribed threads" feature. I think it does this automatically (if not, you'll be able to make it do this): when you post to a thread it subscribes to that thread, and then when somebody else replies to the thread it will appear in the User CP.

That way I see all the posts after mine, so if I'm quoted I will see it.
So when I click 'Reply' now, this thread will come up in my User CP whenever somebody replies.

Hey Charlie, could you explain how to get an account to automatically subscribe to a thread when you post in it.
I've looked through the User CP, but can't seem to figure out how to do that.
Thanks

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Hey Charlie, could you explain how to get an account to automatically subscribe to a thread when you post in it.
I've looked through the User CP, but can't seem to figure out how to do that.
Thanks

Click "User CP" -> "Edit Options" on the left hand bar -> Scroll down to the "Messaging & Notification" bit -> See the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" bit, and select "No email notification".

Unless you want to be emailed about the threads as well (which I wouldn't recommend).

Status
Not open for further replies.