Working on a character for DnD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobSauce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I have everything set up for a level 1 bard except attack bonus, skills, and HP, I think. Could someone help me?

(I have a name, race, class, alignment, and stats.)

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I don't know that much about D&D anymore, but the version you're playing might be pertinent to answering the question. No rulebooks?

Role
  1. Private
I don't know that much about D&D anymore, but the version you're playing might be pertinent to answering the question. No rulebooks?

Ditto.

On the bright side, your HP should be simple to figure out - take your dX (d6 for a bard?) and roll, and add in any constitution bonus.

Similarly, gold is easy to figure out, too - it's usually dX * (weighting), and is determined by character class.

Attack bonus will come as a result of proficiencies, dex/strength bonuses, character race, etc.

I've not played a bard before, but I *think* they're rather rogue-like in combat. If it's available to you, you'll likely want to take "prolong song" or whatever it's called. *shrug*

Okay, this "edit" (added the above) is getting too long - the short of it (the original post) is this: like Trevor said, get the rulebook (library, online, etc.) or DMG (Dungeon Master's Guide) or class-specific book. The latter used to be in paperback form and had a leather look to them.

I know that the AD&D books were full of everything you could possibly want to know, at least with the AD&D2 ruleset. 3 is out now, and I'm sure there are books out - although Gygax is now dead, his legacy will go on. ;)

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
I might be able to help more if I knew which version you were playing on. For example, I have hardly used my 4.0 version (I just don't like some of the changes they made), But I know 3.5 inside and out. Post, and help will come.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Ditto.

I know that the AD&D books were full of everything you could possibly want to know, at least with the AD&D2 ruleset. 3 is out now, and I'm sure there are books out - although Gygax is now dead, his legacy will go on. ;)

4th edition is just recently out, which involves some pretty significant changes as I understand it (more like an MMO, but in a good way, according to Wil Wheaton's review). I gave 3rd edition another shot and while it was improved over all the adjustments that had been heaped upon AD&D, it wasn't enough to entice me away from my preferred games. 3.5 changed a bit further, but I didn't invest in that one, so I can only be of direct use for AD&D or 3rd edition.

Role
  1. Private
4th edition is just recently out, which involves some pretty significant changes as I understand it (more like an MMO, but in a good way, according to Wil Wheaton's review). I gave 3rd edition another shot and while it was improved over all the adjustments that had been heaped upon AD&D, it wasn't enough to entice me away from my preferred games. 3.5 changed a bit further, but I didn't invest in that one, so I can only be of direct use for AD&D or 3rd edition.

Wow!

I'm pretty far out of it, then. :)

I played PnP with AD&D2 rules, although I owned the "Purple Starter Box" from 1980 or so. I cannot for the life of me remember the campaign name, but it's a "classic."

The last interaction I had with the ruleset was through Neverwinter Nights (NWN), which used AD&D3 (I think) rules. I played a multi-classed Assassin/Monk/Ranger and rather enjoyed materializing behind things, stabbing them (and usually paralyzing them), and then vanishing again. Heh, heh, heh. I also played Paladins, straight (Epic-skill) Monks, and Rogues (for their "Use Magic" skill). Ah, NWN. Good times. :p

NoobSauce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I'm using the SRD, if that helps. No docs on character creation.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Wow!

I'm pretty far out of it, then. :)

I played PnP with AD&D2 rules, although I owned the "Purple Starter Box" from 1980 or so. I cannot for the life of me remember the campaign name, but it's a "classic."

Module B2, The Keep on the Borderlands was the standard issue in the box set for some time, with the blue book. I think they did switch to a B3 adventure later on when attempting to revitalize Basic D&D rules. I've still got the adventure, but not the rulebook.

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
damn, we should get some nerdiness in this bitch called ADISC. but it really depends on the other characters in your party to determine what your skills should be, as for your hp, i think for your first level it's 6 + con modifier and any other modifiers for a bard, and a d6 each level after, as for your attack bonus, it should just be your strength modifier and any buffs for weapon proficiencies.

btw: do you have your feats chosen?

edit: if you're using a ranged weapon the BAB would be your dex modifier.

Role
  1. Private
btw: do you have your feats chosen?

edit: if you're using a ranged weapon the BAB would be your dex modifier.

This reminds me - I know what I was trying to think of earlier, with my "rogue-like" comment:
  • Daggers (and likely nothing heavier than a rapier);
  • Juggling feat - you can use this (IIRC) to deflect small darts/daggers and throw 'em pretty quickly. Like I've said, I never played a barb, but ... meh.
  • Jumping/Tumbling feat - you can dodge things pretty well, from what I recall...

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Bah, all this work for DND, Just play the Genesis DND game like me :p

Role
  1. Private
I have since heard (tonight) from friends that Hasbro bought out Wizards of the Coast. They say that the new rulset, etc. is much too w000ooOOw-like for their liking.

If true, I hope that Gygax's zombie eats their brains, every last one of those Has-been-bros. It is truly the end of an era. :(

Role
  1. Other
The SRD should have all the rules in it. It was a digital version of the rules with all the copyrighted names removed, Bixby, Tensor, etc.

Assuming that you have a 3.x SRD a Bard starts with a 6+Con bonus hits, and a BAB of 0.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Dungeons and Dragons silly peach. :p

Is that a (computer) game? If so, why isn't this thread in the "Computers&Games"-subforum? I generally never read threads in that forum, so I feel like I've wasted a few minutes of my life now :(

Peachy

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
IIRC it is not a computer game, or at least it isn't primarily...

I'm sure somebody else will tell you what it entails, everything I know about it comes from references from American TV. :p

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
There is a computer game of it. It appears in many different forms.

But what the original thing is is a pen and paper role playing game. Essentially, you get a character, and then roll dice to do stuff with it. Like battle monsters.

So it's pretty much like a really complicated RPG computer game, without the computer :p

I don't know much about it, though. I'd like to try it out sometime, but I probably won't get around to it for a long while.

NoobSauce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
Thread Derailment! Looks like it rolled a 1 on its Stabilization check.
*beat*
Moving right along... So I think I've got the character ready. He's a bard. :3
Is it ok to have, like, 100 GP left over after you're done picking equipment?

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Thread Derailment! Looks like it rolled a 1 on its Stabilization check.
*beat*
Moving right along... So I think I've got the character ready. He's a bard. :3
Is it ok to have, like, 100 GP left over after you're done picking equipment?

What edition?

If 3rd, you could have rolled well on 4d4*10gp and rolled really well, but you'd not have enough to get a bow along with a sword, armor, common instrument, backpack, etc. and still have 100 left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.