Wore flying for the first time tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
WildBlueCrinkle said:
What do you fly? Always Cessnas? (I mostly fly Cherokees.)

Instructing on 172 S models, and DA20 Eclipses, Multi/IFR done in Piper Seminoles. Definitely my favorite flying was for sure my Instrument Rating. You'll have fun with it!

NigelM said:
Instructing on 172 S models, and DA20 Eclipses, Multi/IFR done in Piper Seminoles. Definitely my favorite flying was for sure my Instrument Rating. You'll have fun with it!

Whats the DA20 like to fly? I've seen a few around and they look quite small like they may get thrown around a bit in the wind

I've logged 20 hours, back when NY wasn't a cluster* to fly. I probably will need to redo ground school if I ever want to start again.

--sf

BlueSky said:
Whats the DA20 like to fly? I've seen a few around and they look quite small like they may get thrown around a bit in the wind

Definitely prefer the 172, that was my main aircraft that I trained in. The DV20 feels fast, and agile, and is great for training; tight controls, great vis in the circuit, good gliding distance. Just very cramped. They do get thrown around a lot, and it's not uncommon that you'll be grounding less than 45 on final.

Princes said:
I'd love to fly in one but imagine getting pulled out of line for a "random search"

About 3 years ago I woke from a nap on the plane (going overseas ~ 8 hours) with that "quick shutoff" happening and having to go! I was in the window seat and glad I did not accidently let go but it made me think that with my plastic underpants only 5 feet away in my carry on bag on the overhead why was I not wearing them? I ended up having to pass thru 2 other people and I retrieved my underpants in a plastic bag and walked back to the lavatory. I could bet some folks knew what I was doing but then again, so what? I used the plane's toilet and put on my protective underpants just so I could go back to sleep and not worry about the same situation occurring.

So now I always wear my plastic underpants but I wait until I go through TSA to put them on (along with a disposable diaper). I am not so much worried that TSA would know I was wearing a diaper and plastic underpants (bet they see this a lot) but during a "pat down" they probably would ask about the bulkiness and the way they have felt up my leg to my groin before, some of them TSA dudes are looking for treasure and go a long way! Being asked in front of others about "my bulkiness" and then maybe having to go to a private screening is not worth the time. So I just change in the airport terminal bathroom and enjoy sleeping on the plane and letting go occasionally on the long flights to ease the discomfort. Never had any leak issues and thoroughly enjoyed the security.

JOCKMAN said:
About 3 years ago I woke from a nap on the plane (going overseas ~ 8 hours) with that "quick shutoff" happening and having to go! I was in the window seat and glad I did not accidently let go but it made me think that with my plastic underpants only 5 feet away in my carry on bag on the overhead why was I not wearing them? I ended up having to pass thru 2 other people and I retrieved my underpants in a plastic bag and walked back to the lavatory. I could bet some folks knew what I was doing but then again, so what? I used the plane's toilet and put on my protective underpants just so I could go back to sleep and not worry about the same situation occurring.

So now I always wear my plastic underpants but I wait until I go through TSA to put them on (along with a disposable diaper). I am not so much worried that TSA would know I was wearing a diaper and plastic underpants (bet they see this a lot) but during a "pat down" they probably would ask about the bulkiness and the way they have felt up my leg to my groin before, some of them TSA dudes are looking for treasure and go a long way! Being asked in front of others about "my bulkiness" and then maybe having to go to a private screening is not worth the time. So I just change in the airport terminal bathroom and enjoy sleeping on the plane and letting go occasionally on the long flights to ease the discomfort. Never had any leak issues and thoroughly enjoyed the security.

I'll have to try and fly padded next time

Yep, there's not been many times over the past five years I've not had a diaper on going through security. The only time I got stopped is when they asked me after x-raying my bag if I had powder in there. I really didn't remember if I did or not. It wasn't a problem once it was shown to be powder not liquid. They didn't even bat an eye at the spare diapers, etc...

cm90210 said:
What has the grief looked like when they hassled you? What do they do/say?
I've had s couple experiences that were less than fun with TSA.

Ugh. It was pretty emotionally damaging. I still shudder thinking about them. The first was in Albuquerque. The security screener standing at the X-Ray machine noticed the bulge in my crotch from my thick diapers and pulled me aside for additional screening. I was taken into a room and they felt my waistband and asked me about my diapers.

The second experience was WAY worse. I was flying through San Juan, Puerto Rico (as a US territory, they have TSA, too) and they had the older "backscatter" imaging machines. I guess I was wet at the time, and I was pulled aside. Again, I was taken to a small room. There, they actually made me strip down to my diapers. I was wearing an Abena with a baby diaper stuffer and an ABUniverse Super-Dry-Kids diaper on the outside. I am a heavy wetter and need thick diapers, especially on longer flights. Anyway, there I was with 2 security guys, in just my diapers, while they felt them all up and poked and prodded. I felt like I had been sexually assaulted and felt totally violated. I filed a complaint with the TSA but never heard anything.

Lessons learned for me: I still wear a diaper through security, but only one, and do my best to make sure it is dry before I go through. TSA Pre-check helps as I generally only have to go through the metal detector and not the imaging machine. I then change into my thicker multi-layered diapers past security. Coincidentally, (not to jinx it), even though I fly with a bag full of mainly diapers, it has never been pulled aside or those diapers taken out.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of the TSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back