WLAN error

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Ok so I have a ACER Aspire 3680 that I use to use wireless internet on, but then the hard drive went out. Got a new HD put vista back on it, and now it won't connect to the wireless network. It shows it there but when you try to connect it says that the conniction Failed

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Try the "diagnose and repair" option.
Try unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Try the "diagnose and repair" option.
Try unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in.
Its not an adapter, it is built into the computer. I've try turning it off and then back on.

inquantum

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Hmm. Okay. If you know how to pry the laptop apart, then it would help some. Otherwise, don't touch what is within the laptop itself.

paddedhawk

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Before taking you computer apart or even going to get it repaired just double check that all your drivers are up to date. it's the easiest thing to check and i doubt your computer is physically broken.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Before taking you computer apart or even going to get it repaired just double check that all your drivers are up to date. it's the easiest thing to check and i doubt your computer is physically broken.
I suspect the same. did you use a disc that came from the laptop or did you just use a standard Vista disk. Because if the disc did come with the laptop itself, usually the drivers are all their and puts it back to its factory state.

Otherwise, you can easily browse the Acer website and get the drivers from there. Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Acer Aspire 3680 Series
They seem to use a number of wireless cards so be sure to get the correct one. otherwise Vista will say its the incorrect driver, or at least it just won't work.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I suspect the same. did you use a disc that came from the laptop or did you just use a standard Vista disk. Because if the disc did come with the laptop itself, usually the drivers are all their and puts it back to its factory state.

Otherwise, you can easily browse the Acer website and get the drivers from there. Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Acer Aspire 3680 Series
They seem to use a number of wireless cards so be sure to get the correct one. otherwise Vista will say its the incorrect driver, or at least it just won't work.

I used the disk that came witht the computer

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
OH, it's a laptop. I have an Acer laptop as well, just not the same model. There should be a WLAN switch on the front, isn't there? Try turning it off for a few seconds, then back on. (sorry if you've already tried this. just trying to help.)

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I used the disk that came witht the computer
My mum has an Acer laptop and I really hate it they way it handles the wifi. Since I don't use vista machines, I can't really help beyond the driver issue. But it could be either ACER wifi manager is taking control or Vista's manger is.

I personally dislike Acer's management. It just really annoying to use and rarely works first time.

What i recomend is pressing you wifi hardware button if there is one. Its a picture of an atenna with waves coming out of it. Once pressed the sreen will say soemthing along the lines of "wireless disabled". Wait a few seconds, press it again. Then launch the Acer mangement, and use it accordingly to connect to your network. It that does not work, try and set your network up as a profile and set it as the default profile. Save the settings, close the settings windows. And then repeat switching the wifi one and off as said earlier. This usually does the trick if my mum calls me to say the internet is not working. Which half the time she is trying to access a website doesn't exist. :laugh: But I'll have to teach her the different error screens i suspose.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
OH, it's a laptop. I have an Acer laptop as well, just not the same model. There should be a WLAN switch on the front, isn't there? Try turning it off for a few seconds, then back on. (sorry if you've already tried this. just trying to help.)
Yes I have try that, but no luck. :(

And I have no cule were to find the main driver for the wifi chip at all

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Try the empowering technology wifi control thing.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Have no fear, mm3 is here! :)

Try disabling and re-enabling the device -- in device manager.
Right Click My Computer in the start menu, and click Manage. From the source tree, click device manager. Find Network adapters, then your WLAN card. Right Click Disable, wait 30 seconds (or even reboot) then enable it again.

Also, are you sure that your TCP/IP settings are the same as from the old Windows install?

Craig

Est. Contributor
If none of the above works then I suggest you see if your windows pipeline isnt being blocked by a firewall or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.