Wives and incontinence

boomer2480

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
My heart doc told me that just because I drink coffee from the time I get up until I go to bed it does not hydrate me. He said I could be dying of thirst in the desert and find a thermos of coffee that it would not help with the dying of thirst. I doesn't make sense to me because it is just flavored water but he says it is the truth. go figure

daylight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
May likely be from the effects of caffeine causing frequency, irritation, and its diuretic effect.

PCBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
Not sure where you live, but certainly here in Wales (UK) the recommended amount is still 1.5 to 2 liters a day. Speaking as an insulin dependent diabetic I feel thirsty most of time, so I do try to make the minimum.

PCBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
and as daft as it sounds Alcohol, even beer dehydrates you more than it hydrates you. So whilst the odd beer or pils on a very hot day may be refreshing it's not doing anything to help replace lost fluid.

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Yah, it’s dehydrated the Hell out of me more than once!!!

ChocChip

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yeah, I think alcohol is a stronger diuretic than caffeine, and alcoholic drinks certainly don’t hydrate you in the longer term. Most caffeinated drinks probably have a net positive hydration effect, although perhaps not strong coffee or energy drinks. In any case, you need to have at least some drinks that don’t contain alcohol or caffeine.

SoCalIncon

Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Yeah, I think alcohol is a stronger diuretic than caffeine, and alcoholic drinks certainly don’t hydrate you in the longer term. Most caffeinated drinks probably have a net positive hydration effect, although perhaps not strong coffee or energy drinks. In any case, you need to have at least some drinks that don’t contain alcohol or caffeine.
I actually recently read that moderate coffee intake does in fact have a positive net hydration effect, but that goes away if you drink a lot of it.

The acidity of coffee and it's diuretic effects are both bladder irritants...but I LOVE my coffee and will never give it up over my continence issues....Only way I'd give up coffee is if there was a 99% chance that it would completely cure my incontinence...which is obviously not the case.

Alcohol is a strong diuretic. It's a poison that your body wants to flush out asap. But, everything in moderation, right?