Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackWing

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Hey everyone, I just had a real quick question this time around. So after being told by our family dentist for the last like, 3 years that I needed to have all of my wisdom teeth taken out, it finally got done this morning. And in 20 minutes no less! Anyways, I know that it'll take probably about a week until I can safely eat practically most foods again, but I was also curious as to how having a pacifier would effect anything if at all. I won't be moving into my new apartment for probably at least another week at this rate, so it'll be at least that long until I can even think about using my pacifier again. But would there be any specific things I'd have to watch out for just in case?

After a week, you should be fine. I just know after you have a tooth pulled, you shouldn't do anything that makes suction in your mouth, liking sucking a drinking straw, your thumb, or a pacifier, for about 48 hours. Doing so could create a painful condition called ''dry socket.'' They didn't tell you that at the dentist?

Besides some baby teeth that stayed too long I had removed at 9, I also had a tooth pulled at 16, not a wisdom tooth, but I was back to eating normally about two days later. Had to stop sucking my thumb for those two days, but I had new pacifiers afterwards. :biggrin:

KimbaStarshine said:
After a week, you should be fine. I just know after you have a tooth pulled, you shouldn't do anything that makes suction in your mouth, liking sucking a drinking straw, your thumb, or a pacifier, for about 48 hours. Doing so could create a painful condition called ''dry socket.'' They didn't tell you that at the dentist?

Yup, I already knew about dry socket. Was just curious if there would be any other complications of any kind. ^^

Yeah, I think you should be OK after a week (I'm not a doctor). I can't remember how long it was for me to start sucking my thumb, after I had mine out. But I was doped up pretty good for a few days after. I had to have full surgery to remove them. I think it was 2 or 3 days after, I realized I still have the sensors on my body from the heart monitor stuff. But a week, you should be safe from getting dry sockets.

I had all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time in the hospital. I went home the following day and I believe I started sucking my thumb that night. I never used a pacifier at that time - not because I couldn't, just because I didn't have one and didn't think to get one.

I wouldn't suck a pacifier before the one week mark. Even then, I'd be safe and wait TWO weeks. I had all four removed in one visit and a month went by before the areas were completely healed.

BinkyBoi said:
I wouldn't suck a pacifier before the one week mark. Even then, I'd be safe and wait TWO weeks. I had all four removed in one visit and a month went by before the areas were completely healed.

Were yours impacted, requiring them to dig into your gums? If so, that might be why the healing process took longer.

On that note, when I had that molar pulled at 16 I was told my bottom wisdom teeth were impacted and to have them removed. I've hung onto them though at my mother's urging, as both she and my dad had terrible times getting theirs out. Even though they're supposed to be laying sideways they've started to come through my gums, one a lot more than the other. I'm sure it's just rotting away though as it's left a hole in my gums that food gets stuck in. Until it starts hurting though I'm not going to worry about it too much. I don't go to the dentist on a regular basis because Medicaid's dental coverage is crap, so I'm sure I have plenty of cavities anyway.

KimbaStarshine said:
Were yours impacted, requiring them to dig into your gums? If so, that might be why the healing process took longer.

You bring up a good point. My dentist suggested I have my wisdom teeth removed before they began causing trouble and I did. This may be why I had only a day of mild soreness and my mouth healed so fast even though I had all four done at the same time.

Yeah, I was thinking of waiting for about 2 weeks just to be safe. Better safe than sorry. ^^

A pacifier isn't going to do anything that far back. Your front teeth are a bigger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back