Wipes for IC

MaxSyd

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
For those of you who wear diapers/nappies for incontinence both for urinary and bowel what sort of wipes and crems/ointments do you use?

I recently changed from using thick baby wipes and sudocrem (similar to desitin in the US) to a wipe that is more aimed for IC called contiplan, it claims to be a 3 in one... soothes, mostorises and protects. I'm seeing quite an improvement to my skin after changing. Ive also started to use a barrier cream from coloplast when I think it's needed.
B07B4LM3MD_Tile_1_900x.jpg
comfeel-barrier-creme-transparent-872x872.png

Has anyone else changed from using baby wipes to IC wipes? What do you use? I'm looking at trying a few different ones out also open to different barrier creams if anyone has recommendations.
I'm in Australia so some mightn't be available here.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
I have been using the North Shore (US) product line, kind of like one stop shopping and every things had been designed and formulated for IC use.

Reactions: Diprs2 and MaxSyd
Edgewater said:
I have been using the North Shore (US) product line
Thanks for the suggestion, I've found a place down here that has started to resell some of the North Shore products, with a bit of a markup of course. I might touch base with them to see if they can get the wipes in!

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Walgreens adult washcloths..for messy changes as they are thick and have some texture...truly way better than I expected...I've tried several brands and keep going back. I use Desitin and baby powder almost every day. I generally use just a little Desitin unless it's one of those bad days then I'll apply it quite heavily. But my skin is quite healthy considering I have been 24-7 for years and was basically only out of diapers a few hours a day before that for a decade.... IC is not fun and it seems to me you just need to find what works for you and your skin ☺️ I actually met someone else who is incontinent recently and we were actually discussing skin care and she said she tried Destin and powder and it didn't work for her she had issues with rashes and such she said she uses secura epc incon skin guard and it works well for her a long with caldescene adult powder medicated. So I'm thinking 🤔 we're all a little different 🤙

Reactions: ParaRomeo, Diprs2, MaxSyd and 1 other person
I use baby wipes and Desitin. My wife recently started buying some baby wipes on Amazon for me that are supposedly more healthy than Huggies.

Reactions: Edgewater and MaxSyd
I use whatever I have--right now I have a pack of Pampers wipes that I use several times a day. Zinc Oxide ointment to prevent rashes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
For wipes, I tend to use the North Shore sample packs for travel, and at home I like to have a small plastic tub with the assurance wipes. This keeps them wet. I also really like the Tena bathing mitten. They work great.

Daily use I use Huggies wipes for me they are the best in price range but if price wasn't a factor I would buy the Honest Brand wipes as they worked really well & strong, but almost double the price half the wipes. For messy changes not to be gross but depends on consistency of stools- for solid stools I do use either bath wipes or bath mits(like glove but find easier to use for self care) for loose stools few companies have what's called dry wipes there the size a full paper towel but soft as a Kleenex so you can get majority off. I currently use Medline Foaming Cleanser which can be used with any wipes again if money wasn't a factor few brands have a cleansing lotion that's no rinse so it moisturize the skin as well. Of I have F IC I will clean up as possible than take a shower if possible b/c no matter what or who does it there is always a spot missed

ointments and creams- I usually have Desitin & Balmex on hand usually Balmex for night and prolonged use Desitin every other change. Though I also keep few tubes of Calmoseptine for bad rashes or something similar & usually alternate that with like triple paste. The thing is and I have mentioned it before is check who male the adult oinment because some companies know adult medical market requires a premium price for example Balmex has a label for Adult Care usually more expensive and less amount, I personally spoke with the company and the same products. Also I talked with wound care and my primary doctor but get your own opinion but recommend for simple diaper rashes and protection srtuff marketed for babies works just fine(would care actually recommended butt paste but have had it stain cloth diapers and other clothes)

I think adult wipes are good for some caregivers but even when I had full care the aids I had preferred baby wipes over adult ones. Also off top of my head @0245 I think a baby wipe is 7.5”x6.5” where adults are like 8"x12" it's slightly bigger

Wal Mart brand adult washcloths are the best and cheapest

For myself like them North Shore Heavy Duty Quilted Adult wipes .

Attachments

• Wipes.jpg
    Wipes.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3
As Raven mentioned and think it's worth mentioning again is though there are many options sometimes the right combination comes down to the person and what's available. Like there are some wipes that I have a reaction to and can't use or like I used to use a powder that worked great but was discontinued also over last decade I have had to switch up what I have used.

I think suggestions are fantastic but just keep open mind that you may need to find what works for you and there are times things change like I used to use Walmart version of Desitin Purple Top but it has a strong floral smell to it which not sure which is worse the fishy or floral smell and that's another thing just to be aware of some items do have scents but if marketed towards adults some do have unscented versions.

Reactions: MaxSyd and Edgewater
This 24/7 user tries to wipe down at every change, Huggies natural care (used to be branded one-and-done) are the staple wipe. For messy cleanup, it takes quite a few though, and based on samples, Northshore wipes are much better and more efficient, but they don't fit into my baby wipe dispenser so don't scratch my aesthetic desires. Would probably be a lot easier to use them instead though. Higher cost each might be easily compensated for using fewer when a messy diaper is involved...

Desitin is used when needed. Also like to use talcum powder, can't really say it adds a lot of protection but it's nice scent and does keep the skin a little bit dryer at least for awhile - there's usually no sign of it at the next change when (properly, IMHO) applied by rubbing it in as a thin layer in the diaper area. Also have a prescription for Nystatin, a stronger cortisone/ topical steroid like drug that helps when inexplicably get jock-itch like agitation on very specific parts of my shaft and balls - have had that issue forever and an application or two of that ointment quickly settles it. It's not fungal, but it can lead to it because of the skin breakdown and scratching the itch...

Have noticed some people use a lot of extra cremes and products which may be just what they need (we're all different...), but personally use sparingly and as needed not as preventative. Oh, will preemptively apply desitin or Vaseline in the appropriate area when I'm expecting a messy diaper - coffee and regularity makes it somewhat predictable when remember to.

Adult diaper rash sucks, especially when you don't have the practical option of not staying diapered/protected. For some of us, that means applying extra products at every change, for others only using when there's a problem. Personally, changing a wet diaper sometimes means no product at all, but would prefer a quick wipe down and powder, just isn't always practical when out and about.

I have used travel size power bottles for years. It takes a bit of searching of asking my one stop source if they have sample sizes for my care bag or car bag. They commonly do!

Edgewater said:
I have used travel size power bottles for years. It takes a bit of searching of asking my one stop source if they have sample sizes for my care bag or car bag. They commonly do!
I've got those too! It's in my diaper bag, just more of a hassle to apply in a toilet stall. Efficiency sometimes takes priority over properly "pampering" myself, lol. It's fortunately not a "if I don't wipe and use powder I'll immediately get a rash" sorta thing, just part of my personal gold standard diaper change. Obviously if dealing with a rash will take the time to more thoroughly clean and reapply necessary ointment, regardless of where... Or at least should if want rash to go away faster! Fortunately maximum strength desitin has some real staying power however (and shouldn't be scrubbed off at every change, it's still doing it's job...)

MaxSyd said:
For those of you who wear diapers/nappies for incontinence both for urinary and bowel what sort of wipes and crems/ointments do you use?

I recently changed from using thick baby wipes and sudocrem (similar to desitin in the US) to a wipe that is more aimed for IC called contiplan, it claims to be a 3 in one... soothes, mostorises and protects. I'm seeing quite an improvement to my skin after changing. Ive also started to use a barrier cream from coloplast when I think it's needed.

Has anyone else changed from using baby wipes to IC wipes? What do you use? I'm looking at trying a few different ones out also open to different barrier creams if anyone has recommendations.
Hello. I agree, Northshore wipes are great. Tena also makes a wipe that works well too.

Reactions: Edgewater and MaxSyd
Calmoseptine for barrier cream, good wipes lavender for flushable, pampers sweet dreams for otherwise

I use what ever is the cheapest on wipes. Don't get me wrong I love the thick disposable wash cloth kind that the hospital always gives me when I stay and I like the Northshore ones too. But I just don't see the value like I do in a premium diaper. If I am just wet most the time I do not wipe and if I have shit myself good most of the time I find it cheaper to use a cheap disposable chux pad and wipe off the heavy stuff. I can have a major loose stool disaster and clean up using one chux pad and only a couple of baby wipes. So instead of looking for good wipes I am always looking for good buys on cheap be pads. Without the disposable bed pad it can take a entire pack or wipes to clean myself. Using a bed pad as a towel during a fecal accident was one of the best ADISC tips I was ever given.

Reactions: EcoIncon, MaxSyd and Edgewater
MaxSyd said:

Vivactive xxl wet wipes,very good

I use baby wipes I get at Costco
I have tried various wipes from medical supply stores and they don't work any better & cost more per wipe

Adult Water Wipes and gold bond spray, never had a rash. Just remember to shower daily and allow time during day for skin to air out.

Back