Windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
I'm running Vista Home Premium on my HTPC which has a mere 1GB of RAM (with a 3Ghz Prescott and onboard graphics on a 40GB HDD) and it runs just perfectly.
Yes, I have 8GB in my desktop machine with Vista Ultimate; but my desktop machine also runs..

..Four monitors, so with the amount of multitasking I do, it's for the best that I have that much. Still, 1GB is just fine.
I wouldn't recommend it on anything less, however~

Craig

Est. Contributor
OMG! I love that setup! JEALOUS! lol, you are very lucky Sawaa, but no I wouldnt recommend vista with such little RAM.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
OK, well thanks for all the input guy. The reason that I ask is because I got a free Dell Optiplex GX1 off craigslist.org.

Spec

OS- Windows XP Pro
Ram- 256MB
processor- Pentium III 500 MHZ
HDD- A 20 GB main drive and a 80 GB Slave Drive

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Dude! Nevermind the RAM, only a 500MHz processor, trying to run Vista?! o.o

In a word, no way even if hell froze over.

Sorry bud... Go for Linux or XP :)

James

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Yeah, i would never recommend that if i knew you only had a 500mhz processor, when i did this my processor was at least 3ghz.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Wait Wait..... Your Motherboard is installed upsidedown!?!?!? :p Thats not the first time I have seen it like that, Is it to help air flow or easier to install for left handed people or what!

But yeah guys, You have given me the challenge to install Vista on one of my machines. I had it running a beta of windows server 2008/2007 (what ever is is called now) running as a Virtual Machine on it. It was slow... But it runs....

Its a 500Mhz PII 630MB (256 + 256 + 128)ram. Wish me luck :p

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I was just wonder how far you could push it

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
LOL, it's like shoving a steak down a baby's throat.

Marth: LOL! I'd think the cables would get more attention then the mobo layout, lmao! But, yeah, stupid nForce.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
LOL, it's like shoving a steak down a baby's throat.

Marth: LOL! I'd think the cables would get more attention then the mobo layout, lmao! But, yeah, stupid nForce.
With 3min 20 sec to boot! I was going to browse ADISC on it, but for whatever reason, didn't have the right drivers for my ethernet card, it works out the box for 2000 and XP. So I guess they thought it was obsolete in the Vista driver pack!

I swear, If windows could give negative values, it would!

So to get the screen shots off, i had to use a usb pen.

All in all, it ran better than I thought. I was surprised it didn't crash through the install. I used an ordinary Vista Ultimate sp1 32bit Disc and all seemed fine for me. I didn't want it on there long. I just wanted to see if it was possible to run it. So I didn't tweak with any settings or drivers.

But would I recommend it? No, it was damn slow. XP runs far smoother on this machine, in fact I used to to do simple photo editing when my main desktop went down, You couldn't tell the difference easily between the two performance wise for the photo editing.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Wow, surprised a white flag hasn't been ejected from the CD-ROM :)P) try yet. haha

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I was wrong about my prosser speed is is 1 GHZ

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I decided not to put Vista on my desktop based on your replys, so I just went with a Vista Theme for Xp pro

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
...why. Is it really that worth it? I find theming on any operating system is just useless and wasteful, considering it never gets perfect. Besides, XP is good-looking enough... XP trying to imitate Vista would probably hideous, not to mention resource-wasteful.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
It dose pretty good, I have a friend that has done it and it has not slowed his computer down at all (has the same computer as me). I tried Flyakite OSX once before and it works pretty well

Samaki

Contributor
Role
I won't ever theme my computer again, it slows it down so much, and most take like 10 gigs from your harddrive, PLUS it glitches it up a lot, Ive used a vista theme a WoW theme and a Mac theme, the best was the Mac one, it was the least glitchy, but it didn't have all the good mac stuff.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I won't ever theme my computer again, it slows it down so much, and most take like 10 gigs from your harddrive, PLUS it glitches it up a lot, Ive used a vista theme a WoW theme and a Mac theme, the best was the Mac one, it was the least glitchy, but it didn't have all the good mac stuff.
You're so right.

1.) It's still a PC, people. if you dress like a girl, does that necessarily make you a girl? Nope.

2.) It's all a waste in the end.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Well I don't care what anyone says, Vista is better than XP in my book.

Of course the OS is going to chew more resources, it has seven years more features.

If 3GB of RAM is slower than 2GB - there are two problems. 1, you don't consistently use all of the RAM (and upgrading your RAM is pointless if you don't use the stuff you've got), and another problem is that it doesn't run in dual-channel mode.

What does this mean? Well, dual channel mode requires pairs of identical modules, you can't run a 512MB and a 1GB module in dual channel for example. But, if you motherboard has four slots, you can certainly run 2 1GB and 2 512MB modules in dual channel - as long as they're configured properly (make sure the identical modules are in the same coloured port).

If you want to upgrade your RAM on a budget, 2 1GB pairs of DDR II 667 memory seems to be the sweet spot at the moment, the prices are round about $20-25 per module for some good Kingston stuff. Not to mention, this RAM is very capable in terms of overclocking. 750-800 MHz no problem. I forgot what the timings were though.

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
You're so right.

1.) It's still a PC, people. if you dress like a girl, does that necessarily make you a girl? Nope
I dress like a girl and I think it's made me pretty effectively a girl.

2.) It's all a waste in the end.
How so? It either uses the Windows Themeing Engine (with an edited uxtheme.dll) or uses stardocks wb themeing engine which disables the windows one and so runs just as fast. Theming won't slow down your PC, it won't take "OMG 10GB OF HDD SPACE" and it won't hurt anything. If it can look pretty, why shouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.