• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Will June 12th be Doomsday?!

What will happen on June 12th when the TVs go blank?

• Apocalypse!

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Loot & Plunder

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Slow Death

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No Effect

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Get Real

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Butterfly Mage

That's right, June 12th will be the day that the old-style analog TVs will stop working and millions of viewers will be greeted with static. The horror... the horror...

So, how do you think America will respond to not being able to watch Oprah, Montell, Judge Judy, and Dr Phill back-to-back?

-- Apocalypse: People go stark raving mad and start shooting each other and start burning down buildings.
-- Loot and Plunder: People make mass raids on electronic retailers so they can get their TV "fix".
-- Slow Death: People look at the blank screen and lose the will to live. They just stay indoors looking at the static until they starve to death.
-- No Effect: Most people who actually watch TV have already upgraded, so the ones with bank screens won't notice since they already don't watch much TV.
-- Getting Real: People rediscover books, art, literature, exercise, hobbies, and socializing.

As always, there are no wrong answers!

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I laugh at June 12th.

Seriously people... you've had 4 years to buy a converter box. If you don't have one by now then it's just too bad.

It pissed me off enough when they pushed back the date in the first place. I just want it to get over with so they won't play the advertisements about it on TV anymore.

B

Butterfly Mage

Personally, I think the transition is much ado about nothing. The people who actually enjoy TV have likely already bought the $50-$100 DAC or have bought a new TV. People like yours-truely, who don't give a damn about television, won't notice the difference.

babysage

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I for one am looking forward to the convert date. Do you realize how many people in small towns are convinced that if they touch their TV cables the TV will explode? IF the there are as many idiots as I think their are in this town, I will be rolling on the dough June 12th.

Case in point When I had to pop open a older lady's computer in install a modem, she asked if I was sure it was safe to open and that she didn't think you were supposed to.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Screw you. I chose Get Real thinking it was the no effect one -__-. I just want it done with. You've had 4 years to buy one and people are fussing that they had no time. WTF, seriously is 4 years not enough time to buy one? They're what $50?

B

Butterfly Mage

Screw you. I chose Get Real thinking it was the no effect one -__-. I just want it done with. You've had 4 years to buy one and people are fussing that they had no time. WTF, seriously is 4 years not enough time to buy one? They're what $50?
There was a time that you could have gotten a DAC for $10 since the government was offering coupons for a while. I have no sympathy for anyone who wants digital TV and hasn't upgraded.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Maybe people will finally get up from their couches and loose a few calories while senselessly slapping their TVs in an attempt to restore reception, just to realize that their TV will forever remain blank unless they actually leave the house (shock! horror!) and get new hardware for their TV set. :eek:
And while they're up, they may actually remove all the empty pizza boxes and take the trash out. :D

Siege89

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Maybe people will finally get up from their couches and loose a few calories while senselessly slapping their TVs in an attempt to restore reception, just to realize that their TV will forever remain blank unless they actually leave the house (shock! horror!) and get new hardware for their TV set. :eek:
And while they're up, they may actually remove all the empty pizza boxes and take the trash out. :D
Yeah that will happen, They will jsut have tehre red headed slave kid put a movie in.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I laugh at June 12th.

Seriously people... you've had 4 years to buy a converter box. If you don't have one by now then it's just too bad.

It pissed me off enough when they pushed back the date in the first place. I just want it to get over with so they won't play the advertisements about it on TV anymore.
:thumbup: Right on DF!

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I like this, a discussion about the freewave transition. Although what most people fail to realize is that it's freewave, meaning it's the stuff that is broadcasted for no additional charge for consumers. Which in the consumer nation which we are today, less than 1% of population is actually going to be affected by this, AND that those affected already watch rather little TV, since everyone who wants cable or satellite has it, since there isn't much on freewave to begin with.
In fact, I might go as far to say that the people actually affected by this are the most normal people out their.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Oh dear....I'm so confused. I turned on my TV today and there was just static. What's with this June 12th, and where's my walker? I'm like Darkfinn. I'm so disgusted with all the nonsense. Just how stupid is the American public that we have to deluge the airwaves with "how to hook up a converter box"! There will be some surprises though. I have a kitchen TV on rabbit ears, and I got my box for $10.00 a year ago. I can get local Lynchburg, Fox poorly, and no Roanoke. The old folks on an antenna are going to be pissed! They may have to spend the tiny amount for minimal cable. As a side note, I do have dishnet for the 50" wide screen in the family room, and the 37" in our bedroom. I'm not quite ready for the dissintegration chamber. At least not this year.

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It's already started in some regions in the UK, we have another year to go. But it has been advertised everywhere, and there are actually charities that are helping (or completely) paying for upgrades for OAP's. So if you don't have it sorted already - tough shit.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Carer
I watch television so rarely that I haven't yet bought one. Meh.

We had plans to redo this place and get an entertainment center, but now I'm laid off. Feh.

MyLastWords

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Lol. Yay for regional Australia. Our analogue doesn't get turned off until 2012. Although I'm sure it will be a bigger deal here, because there aren't as many people with satelite TV. Everyone watches free to air via antenna.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I use dish network and if that ever went away I'll turn to demoniod or something like that.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Honestly guys, whats the fun of a crisis if we can't loot and plunder, perhaps with a bit of burning and rape thrown in?

B

Butterfly Mage

Maybe in the event of civil unrest the National Guard will airlift in 100' wide jumbotron televisions for regional viewing, har har!

Wegs

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, at least there won't be consequences for keeping Mercenaries 2 if it's the apocalypse/loot & plunder scene. I can keep it until the 11th :D

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I don't think anythimg is going to really happen because we had a lot of time to get ready for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.