Will game ever get past "More Power" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
honestly I do not care 1 bit for "but this Xbox is the most powerful"

It never seems to add up to that much of a difference, and it is not gonna make up for the fact that I would have to miss out on a bunch of Amazing games for maybe 15% more power and having 3 constant exclusive IPs

I honestly hope at some point they quit with this chase to be "the most Powerful" but i know for the type of people that love to Brag they will probably keep going for that kind of marketing, so its probably gonna stick around for a while longer

Honestly if you can buy a $500 console that compares similarly to a $2,000 PC, i could care less if PS5 is 15% less powerful than XsX, its still gonna be way more powerful than what is already out there

It's diminishing returns now, graphics etc. have been more than "good enough" for a decade at least and all they do is churn out the same dull games with slightly more realistic blood spatters and more explosions.

RubberJin said:
It's diminishing returns now, graphics etc. have been more than "good enough" for a decade at least and all they do is churn out the same dull games with slightly more realistic blood spatters and more explosions.

About the only major improvement I have yet to see is frame rates still go way higher on PC Gaming, but otherwise Console gaming has pretty great

It seems like on a console you have better graphics/Resolution on a budget, on a PC you have lower resolution/worse graphics, but you get a higher frame rate

PC can be the better choice by far, but you can also spend absurd money on a PC, whereas Consoles are usually limited to a specific budget they can sell at

Like any console at $600+ is probably gonna not sell very well, PS3 has already proven this

I do not even bother buying game consoles until they are at least 3 or 4 generations outdated.
I do not see any point spending large sums of money on "the latest and greatest" when I can buy the system and games for it for a fraction of the price in a few years.

There is also the issue if games ... I really do not care about "shooty-shooty-bang-bang" & sports ( ie: gambling ) type of games, which it seems is what's mostly pushed on modern systems.
edit: motion controls are a big turn off as well ... I have relatively bad hand-eye coordination --- so I am not able to play Nintendo products .

Last edited:
KitsuneFox said:
I do not even bother buying game consoles until they are at least 3 or 4 generations outdated.
I do not see any point spending large sums of money on "the latest and greatest" when I can buy the system and games for it for a fraction of the price in a few years.

There is also the issue if games ... I really do not care about "shooty-shooty-bang-bang" & sports ( ie: gambling ) type of games, which it seems is what's mostly pushed on modern systems.
edit: motion controls are a big turn off as well ... I have relatively bad hand-eye coordination --- so I am not able to play Nintendo products .

There are a lot of "old school" style games, depending on what you are looking for

Sports games and CoD are the most basic games repeated year after year with minor changes to sell people what is almost 100% the same game year after year for $60 + tax, i never play those

Nintendo is not all Motion control style games either, there are some

But there are also many that are not like Mario, Legend of Zelda, Smash Bros, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and many others

It's when you need to play online to get the most out of the game that irritates me. I don't like multiplayer, and I'm not forking out for Xbox gold membership.
Going back to the original post... It's like phones or cars...look at how shiny it is..see how fast it goes..when in reality, most of us won't really notice a great deal of difference.

Furrytum said:
It's when you need to play online to get the most out of the game that irritates me. I don't like multiplayer, and I'm not forking out for Xbox gold membership.
Going back to the original post... It's like phones or cars...look at how shiny it is..see how fast it goes..when in reality, most of us won't really notice a great deal of difference.

What really irritates me is they will make a 2 hour story mode (if that) and expect you to play Multi-player on the game for a whole year until the next one comes out, its literally their strategy for these yearly game releases

And yeah, some people are rather shallow if they fall for the "Most Powerful" gimmick when its never enough to make a difference

10.5 vs 12 T-Flops? I dont care

If it were 10 to 15 T-Flops that might make a way more noticeable difference worth buying into

But no, it's always ever so slightly more just for "Bragging Rights"

BabyTyrant said:

It never seems to add up to that much of a difference, and it is not gonna make up for the fact that I would have to miss out on a bunch of Amazing games for maybe 15% more power and having 3 constant exclusive IPs

I agree. I laugh when they advertise frame rates for multiplayer games. Only with perfect internet do these actually reach their potential. With my internet, there’s just no way. Games were fine growing up on the 360. Fast loading times are nice and all, but it would really get my attention if they could bring back internal storage that could hold games on a disc like they used to. There’s no point in buying a disc when I have to download the rest of it anyway. I had a 350 GB Xbox 360, and by the time I upgraded it had about the same size game library (including save files) on it that my modern one has now. My 360 still had half its memory available, and I’m already pushing 75% on my One S (1T). The race to be the biggest and most powerful has made games way too large, to the point they actually eat up memory if you’re not deleting games you don’t like or otherwise buying an external hard drive of some sort. If they could create a console that sacrificed some of its power for more efficient storage, I’d be all for it.

Lightstreak2553 said:
I agree. I laugh when they advertise frame rates for multiplayer games. Only with perfect internet do these actually reach their potential. With my internet, there’s just no way. Games were fine growing up on the 360. Fast loading times are nice and all, but it would really get my attention if they could bring back internal storage that could hold games on a disc like they used to. There’s no point in buying a disc when I have to download the rest of it anyway. I had a 350 GB Xbox 360, and by the time I upgraded it had about the same size game library (including save files) on it that my modern one has now. My 360 still had half its memory available, and I’m already pushing 75% on my One S (1T). The race to be the biggest and most powerful has made games way too large, to the point they actually eat up memory if you’re not deleting games you don’t like or otherwise buying an external hard drive of some sort. If they could create a console that sacrificed some of its power for more efficient storage, I’d be all for it.

I have 4.5 or 5TB on my PS4 Pro, including a 4TB hard drive

I'm almost constantly maxed out lately, the Systems storage by itself went quick

I've had to delete things lately because for some reason Demos can eat up huge amounts of storage, and some games are installed Twice (once for Physical and once for Digital)

So I definitely understand your concerns there

BabyTyrant said:
I have 4.5 or 5TB on my PS4 Pro, including a 4TB hard drive

I'm almost constantly maxed out lately, the Systems storage by itself went quick

I've had to delete things lately because for some reason Demos can eat up huge amounts of storage, and some games are installed Twice (once for Physical and once for Digital)

So I definitely understand your concerns there

I would love it if they could find a solution to that problem. Even if they had to cut back on quality a bit, if you wouldn’t have to download a disc-based game (which is a pain when downloading anything on slow internet) it would instantly jog my interest. Go more for better functionality/efficiency rather than flashy graphics and processing power.

well we will need way more power to even start to use 3d, like a stand alone art on a platform like a holographic character stand on table which we can control. so we have a long ways to go yet in CPU power and video cards

Last edited:
DannyBBaby said:
well we will need way more power to even start to use 3d, like a stand alone art on a platform like a holographic character stand on table which we can control. so we have a long ways to go yet in CPU power and video cards

Well thats another issue entirely

What im talking about is how people obsess over stupid bragging rights that mean nothing

Take PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X, i think the PS4P was 5 TF power, the One X was 6 TF Power, did it make a meaningful difference? No it did not

Especially at the cost of not being able to play many games

PS5 and XsX is repeating the same fight with 10.5 vs 12 TFs

Its only purpose as of yet is to sell idiots on "Most Powerful console"

But until the difference is big enough to mean something it won't matter

I’d rather they go the other direction and focus on content, like you were saying BabyTyrant. You made a good point about campaigns. A lot of major game fan communities (I’m in Halo) have been divided over issues with newer games because the amount of detail that used to go into something like campaigns and simple multiplayer (local and online) just isn’t there anymore. Halo 5 left behind a lot of those major touches behind in favor of a simple campaign and a general multiplayer experience that thrived off of loot boxes. A lot fans have been demanding a return to the classics, but it’s hard to tell since we keep seeing the same problems with games like Call of Duty and even Fallout.

BabyTyrant said:
What im talking about is how people obsess over stupid bragging rights that mean nothing
People will form tribes and start fights about anything though - PC VS console, Apple Vs Android, brands of car, etc. etc. etc. you name it people will act like pricks to try and feel superior to the other guy.

I don't care about any of it, if you're having fun that's what counts, for me gaming peaked about 15-20 years ago and everything since just appears to be adding pixels or gimmicks, the only actual interesting innovative thing I've seen in recent years was Portal.

Only other thing I've even considered looking at was the Elite reboot but no Linux version so can't be bothered.

BabyTyrant said:

I honestly hope at some point they quit with this chase to be "the most Powerful" but i know for the type of people that love to Brag they will probably keep going for that kind of marketing, so its probably gonna stick around for a while longer

Honestly if you can buy a $500 console that compares similarly to a $2,000 PC, i could care less if PS5 is 15% less powerful than XsX, its still gonna be way more powerful than what is already out there
I'm more than happy to open up a chessboard (travelling! I have permanent boards at home!), and enjoy some good ole-fashioned combat!
I haven't played AD&D since it became '1d20' ruled, or something... I'm a Gygax Fan, pure-and-simple. Ah, all those wonderful weekends spent with friends!
I am totally impressed with modern electronic game graphics, and for the most part their stories. Sure, there's good, bad, and ugly.
Fuck me for all these g-damned buttons/analog-sticks/tilting the controller shenanigans? Pffft
(Hey, YOU try playing with hooves, then come back an' give ME grief?!)
;-)

Reactions: Lightstreak2553
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back