Will baby lotion cause diapers to break down?

Anonn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I know petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or oil based products can cause diapers to break down but will baby lotion also cause them to disintegrate? I use baby powder now but would like to switch to lotion as it’s moisturizing for the winter.

I’d rather apply to the inside of my diaper, and then put it on, rather than on my skin and then putting on my diaper.

Also, will baby lotion make it so my diaper absorbs less or will be more difficult for my diaper to absorb?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
DanielW said:
Yes, on both counts...but it isn't a significant problem...unless you are spending a full day in the same diaper, its not goinh to be destroyed by a normal amount of lotion, and unless you are planning on greasing the whole top-sheet, you shouldn't notice a significant reduction of absorbency, it might absorb more slowly.

The big problem with oil-based lotions, is the breakdown of plastic pants. Over time, repeated contact with oils will damage them and cause them to weaken and become brittle
So if I use a baby lotion that is not oil based, would that mean it won’t break my diaper down as fast?

If you use plastic pants, prolonged contact with oil based products will cause them to harden and eventually crack. Diapers will not be in contact long enough for any problems.

I use Gold Bond Essentials For Men. But I apply it to my skin. It has never been an issue so far as my diapers are concerned and I've never developed a rash.

While I personally don't use anything Oil-Based, or at least I don't think I have, I can vouch for the fact that Vaseline specifiically doesn't effect absorbency, quality, or any quality of the diaper.

Try to use as little as possible as oil based creams will destroy plastic diaper covers. I used to use vaseline and it completely destroyed my kins diaper cover.

Because I am incontinent I have used all sorts of things to avoid dry skin and rashes. Everything petroleum based that I have used has unfortunately broke down my disposables even the higher quality diapers like the NS Megamax. It always seems to break down the elastics and the top sheet around the leg gathers separates from the outer shell. Its not usually an issue while I'm wearing but when I go to change the sap and fluff would fall out. Now I use baby oil cream without issues so I would fathom other lotions or creams would be safe as well.

Reactions: Sheepies
If you don't need it, I'd avoid any lotions. I don't have experience personally using lotions and diapers but I've heard many stories of leak guards coming loose and causing a big mess

Reactions: Inconjr
Back