Will Adult wearing diapers ever be considered as "normal" by everyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the stigma of nappies actually comes more from the association with the elderly than from the association with babies.

Reactions: Deleted member 39574 and Freddie07601
I think this may be the wrong group to ask, because we may be biased and think more positively but I believe no, and it is very largely due to misconceptions and the group that impose upon others (similar to furries, they are well known and sorta accepted but the minority makes it weird for the majority).

Going out of diapers is part of the normal evolution.
Learning to walk after crawling is part of the normal evolution.

If you are crawling in front of the public without any sign of being disabled, people will have a strange look at you.
If you wear diapers without any sign of a need, people will have a strange look at you.

Simple. You are supposed to evolve, not regress and seeing someone doing regressive actions generate misunderstandings and uncommon emotions.

Before becoming a mainstream thing, it has to be perceived as a "normal evolution". If kids start to keep the diapers longer and why not ever, in 1/2 century we'll consider it as "normal"... But regression makes people unconfortable. Well, today, adults having a plushie becomes more common and less weird. Having "kidults" clothes is also a "tolarated" trend that might become "normal". But we are still far from having the same level of "tolerance" with diapers...

no, abdl will be normal only in events.

Yes I don't ever think we will find the diapers are socially acceptable. Maybe tolerated. Through my conversation with non diapered people they are so shocked by the fact that we will stand there and soil ourselves and be okay with that.

I am going to go with the fact that there are so many adult diapers available in every store around the country, that diapers are slowly becoming more and more acceptable, I think it is us the diaper wearing community that need to step up and be proud about the fact that indeed we wear diapers, there is no shame to walk into a store and buy all of the other things that they have for sale , it is not like we have to go to the back alley of the store and give the secret knock to have some shady character bring us out our stash of diapers, no we can and do walk right though the same door as all the other shoppers and are able to peruse the selection of protection, add the selected ones to our cart of other normal purchases and go to the till, check out and freely leave the store unmolested for our choice of purchase that day. It is going to stay taboo as long as we make it taboo.

Reactions: Deleted member 39574 and Lyric
chamberpot said:
I am going to go with the fact that there are so many adult diapers available in every store around the country, that diapers are slowly becoming more and more acceptable, I think it is us the diaper wearing community that need to step up and be proud about the fact that indeed we wear diapers, there is no shame to walk into a store and buy all of the other things that they have for sale , it is not like we have to go to the back alley of the store and give the secret knock to have some shady character bring us out our stash of diapers, no we can and do walk right though the same door as all the other shoppers and are able to peruse the selection of protection, add the selected ones to our cart of other normal purchases and go to the till, check out and freely leave the store unmolested for our choice of purchase that day. It is going to stay taboo as long as we make it taboo.
What I am trying to say is that I have seen great changes in my almost 70 years

Reactions: Deleted member 39574, Lyric and Brumas94
I keep it indoor and I think is the best way to prevent any social problems. Who is still waitng for general aproval by the vainilla society, so he/she has making false hopes.

Who has diapers in public discretly, so I don't see any problem. But all forms of public exhibitionism (included messing in pubic) I see completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: chamberpot
I have severe OAB and manage it with premium disposable diapers and plastic pants. For me and my wife this is "normal" underwear for me that is necessary because of my incontinence.

As someone who has been permanently incontinent from birth. Throughout my childhood i wore solely medical grade diapers and plastic pants, I ventured into ABDL diapers more recently and prefer both the look, feel and increased capacity. I wear 24/7 for medical reasons, but i also love ABDL diapers much more than i ever did with medical grade diapers. Everyones needs are different and may change also. I have never derived sexual arousal from wearing diapers, but i don't have a problem with people who do. Like i said we are all different, and so are our needs.

In relation to societal acceptance of adults wearing diapers, things are gradually shifting. The companies manufacturing and distributing ABDL products are ever expanding, which is in itself indication of shifting opinions. It would be great if we lived in a world where people where free to go about their business free from judgement and discrimination. I think as long as you adopt a discretionary stance when wearing outside, most people are far too busy with there own issues, to be scanning everyone around them to ascertain as to whether you are diapered or not!

Clearly those who wear diapers for medical reasons have no choice, but i personally have no issue with anyone wearing diapers for whatever reason. Diapers are nothing more than padded protective underwear, and therefore wearing of them shouldn't attract the attention it does. For the most part it is a harmless endeavour, but there are always the few that push the boundaries, but that applies to all aspects of life, not just wearing diapers.

Reactions: DinoFrant, Prillprillprill and chamberpot
Prillprillprill said:
I think the stigma of nappies actually comes more from the association with the elderly than from the association with babies.
You make a good point, I think. The older I become, the less concern I have felt about my diapers being noticed. I'm 77. I'm IC, a life-long DL but not AB, and also on the ASD spectrum. The diaper bulge under my pants might be noticed by someone actively looking for it, but not likely by anyone else. I change my diapers before they smell, and I haven't had a diaper leak in more than 10 years.

Of course, advancing age has also brought a feeling that people in my age group are pretty much viewed as a problem to be addressed by society rather than continuing contributors to the common good.

One final thought : As Diaperman95 has mentioned, I would be opposed to including ABDL's BDSM's or any fetish group in the PRIDE community. PRIDE has done a great job of gaining respect and equal rights and opportunities in marriage, employment and housing for people whose sexual sexual orientation and/or gender identity is neither straight cis male nor straight cis female

Reactions: Prillprillprill and Lyric
This is a subject I always wish would happen. Being able to go out with out worrying about looking too bulky down there or your nappy showing above waist and being open about it…‘I’m just going for a change’ rather than going to toilet. I believe in Japan adultnappies got quite popular and a bit of a trend with teens and used by people on long train journeys etc and I was hoping it would spread everywhere else especially to uk. It needs big companies like Tena to promote their use in adverttisment with young adults using them for convenience like at football matches etc. The ladies discreet pants are being advertised a lot more to look less shameful, just need to do something similar with young adults men and women. Social media is the only other way that seems to promote things, like the prime drink craze!
I agree the effect on the planet will be one thing against us, so promoting re-usables would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Prillprillprill said:

That statement is both axiomatic and true three times prill

Well - actually I highly doubt "normal"! - That would imply most doing it, and I doubt it's ever going to get to that point.
HOWEVER I can for sure see acceptable. (NO it is NOT the same thing - already stated what normal would imply, acceptable would be more along the lines of most don't, but if you do, that is fine)
I have already noticed THAT change taking place. Now being IC I really don't have any choice - but if you just listen, there are occasions where some normies will pretty publicly admit to wearing a diaper - they always do seem to have a pretty logical reason - such as no access to a toilet, or it would just be one HUGE hassle to get to one (Like say time square on New Years Eve). But there was a time when even if there was a valid logic reason NO WAY would normie mention that, specially publicly (Like on camera to a news reporter - YES I actually have seen that a few times), and even medically IC people would not mention that except in a medical setting.

So as I said - normal likely not - but acceptable, that's already happening to a degree and likely will continue a bit more.

I'm going to disagree a bit here. I think awareness of IC products is certainly there, look at the TV commercials and printed advertising. Look in any given grocery store look at the shelf space that has been made for all kinds of products. Drug stores are at an entitely different level, though one could argue quality.

Unless you don't watch TV or read magazines, you know about these products. While they're not Better Dry diapers or Tykable, everyone knows.

But I'd not walk in public in just a diaper any more than I'd walk around in my underwear. But I do wear diapers under my pants just like I'd wear underwear.

And I think lots of other people do too.

Reactions: 12srepaid, DinoFrant, Lyric and 1 other person
TexasDiaperLover said:
I'm going to disagree a bit here. I think awareness of IC products is certainly there, look at the TV commercials and printed advertising. Look in any given grocery store look at the shelf space that has been made for all kinds of products. Drug stores are at an entitely different level, though one could argue quality.

Unless you don't watch TV or read magazines, you know about these products. While they're not Better Dry diapers or Tykable, everyone knows.

But I'd not walk in public in just a diaper any more than I'd walk around in my underwear. But I do wear diapers under my pants just like I'd wear underwear.

And I think lots of other people do too.
Well, yes of course.
But it's still not something most people do - so yes plenty aware, but most would not be using such product (but sure enough to find some in retail stores).
So again you're touching not "normal" but acceptable.

Seems to me that diapers for adults have become rather commonplace, they're advertised every where, especially on tv for all sorts of medical and/or hygienic reasons, although not for fetish purposes. One result from this has been that I feel much freer to wear diapers under my regular clothes and not worry that someone might notice I have a diaper on. What I do in my diapers though is my business and I don't expect anyone to ask or care for that matter, as long as it remains my business and I'm not trying to involve someone else unwillingly and without their prior knowledge and consent. I have loved wearing diapers and rubber pants for most of my life, I have no medical need, but just enjoy wetting myself in my diapers and going about my day to day business dressed in diapers and rubber pants.

Reactions: DinoFrant
I think at a surface level I agree it would be nice to be in a more open and accepting society. I realize that’s just not the world we live in and try to accept myself and be surrounded by the folks that accept me for who I am.

Humans are exceptionally good at finding reasons to put others down regardless of the topic. As hard as it can be sometimes, I find not caring about what they think allows me to enjoy what I like more. I also filter who I talk to things about. Meaning, I have never asked my friends what kind of underwear they are wearing but I will ask my wife all the time.

Reactions: wpn, chamberpot and PupSpaz
Outdoorlife said:
I think at a surface level I agree it would be nice to be in a more open and accepting society.
Yeppers, that's much closer to the root of the problem! Way to many nosey and loud people running around waving their own insecurities and trying to force their own personal "normal" on everyone else. No one is "normal" and we'd all be super board if we were all "normal" - we don't need to partake in others enjoyments or preferences, but we all can be respectful of our differences instead of judgemental or stigmatizing. Being exposed to others differences is part of being a community or society, imposing your normal on others often shouldn't be.

And yeah, it's a pipe dream today... Society doesn't often change on a dime but one can hope we're moving in the right direction...

Reactions: wpn
I hope they will become normal to a point they are no longer stigmatized and people stop associating them with kids and elderly and the mentally handicapped and this is more accepted in mobile people who need to wear them and everyone stops tiptoeing around the word diaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: wpn and 12srepaid
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back