Why there's not that many cloth-backed ABDL diapers currently on the market?

bigtoddler96

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I know that baby diapers are cloth-backed, but most ABDL diapers tends to be plastic-backed, except for a few. Why couldn't most of the ABDL diapers be cloth-backed like their baby diaper counterparts? Is it because cloth-backed diapers sucks? Or is it because adding cloth backing to the ABDL diapers is too expensive to do? Do you think that more ABDL diapers (existing or new) should become cloth-backed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and BunnyFofo
cloth-backed diapers suck

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: blueponydl, PGAFAN2008, 247 and 13 others
Original disposable baby diapers were plastic-backed. They were better constructed, more absorbent, better odor control, and made an almost water tight seal with the plastic that reduced leaks. Leaks tend to permeate through cloth-backed around the legs.

Reactions: 247, BabyLink9, Prillprillprill and 3 others
I´d say there are more options available out there than are necessary...

Yes, they suck... and paradoxically I really, really, really, really wish I could try ABU´s AlphaGatoz and Little Kings just because they look so adorable that I don´t mind enduring the awful, cold and clammy feeling of wet cloth-backed diapers.

Reactions: foxcub, BobbiSueEllen and Diprs2
I grew up wearing Plastic Backed Diapers, and I'm also well aware of PB's advantages over Cloth-Like diapers.

Therefore, I'm also "Pre Conditioned" to preferring Plastic Backed Diapers....

There is however, the newest generation of humans on Earth, who have now grown up wearing the Cloth-Like diapers.

They've also grown up wearing Pull-Ups and GoodNites and Ninjamas, (Which are also cloth-like).

Therefore...My theory is: within the coming decades their will be a huge increase in demand for Cloth-Like products.

Worth noting though, With the right setup the Cloth-Like diapers do have their advantages on VERY HOT days.

I just wore a fantastic SENI-QUATTRO yesterday, with some boosters covered by a Gary Wear Plastic pant, and it lasted all day.

My secret was to reinforce the tapes with some thin strips of gorilla tape. Otherwise they tend to rip or stretch.

Reactions: dlSwimmer, BenNevis, DLWee and 9 others
Yes. @diapeybabybrian nailed it. AB/DL targeted diapers are mostly plastic backed because of demand driven by nostalgia, and as time goes on nostalgia will shift the other way. The respective advantages and disadvantages of each backing are more relevant to people wearing for practical reasons, but many AB/DLs (most?) put nostalgia at the top of the priority list.

• Thinking
Reactions: theancientmariner, Prillprillprill, DinoFrant and 2 others
I like cloth backed and wear them regularly. They dont suck they just arent what most ABDL types want. I think part of it is that the "medical grade" diapers went cloth backed very early on. And alot of us that started with the plastic backed miss the old days. Cloth backed are purposely designed thinner and with discretion in mind for incontinent people. I know alot of them that still use the toilet as much as they can manage. They are easier to take off and on, I don't sweat as much, and thinner. Don't hate on them if they are just not your preference.

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
I agree with the other posters here. A lot of diapers are plastic backed because of nostalgia. Just look at the baby prints on the super dry kids, it's completely late 80s nostalgia driven. Give it a couple years and in sure cloth backed diapers will take over the market as the next generation of abdl come into adulthood

• Thinking
Reactions: LaLoneDigi, BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
Well, I certainly grew up wearing plastic backed diapers (when I wasn't wearing actual cloth diapers, anyway).

That said, I don't think it's entirely nostalgia driven.
I think if that were the case we would have seen a larger shift to clothlike backing already.

So I think part of it is plastic backed diapers are just better in many ways. Even for people that wore cloth backed, they have some preference for plastic (not every one of them, but I'm saying - statistically). That's my guess, anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong though?

Reactions: dlSwimmer
Tykables's animooz is plastic covered in cloth which sounds like a good compromise for an inbetween (I say that because they sold out fast and haven't tried them out yet). I absolutely love how comfy and obsorbent little kings are, they're incredibly good for hot days when out of the house, but they're not the greatest for odor control when out and about. If the animooze catches on, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the standards are moving forward, with the best of both worlds thing going on

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Tungsten, BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
PamperedMarine said:
I like cloth backed and wear them regularly. They dont suck they just arent what most ABDL types want. I think part of it is that the "medical grade" diapers went cloth backed very early on. And alot of us that started with the plastic backed miss the old days. Cloth backed are purposely designed thinner and with discretion in mind for incontinent people. I know alot of them that still use the toilet as much as they can manage. They are easier to take off and on, I don't sweat as much, and thinner. Don't hate on them if they are just not your preference.
I'm not AB/DL I am incontinent and prefer plastic backed

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Because cloth backed diapers are more of a recent thing compared to plastic backed diapers. They could eventually be more available in the ABDL market in the coming years.

Reactions: Prillprillprill and bigtoddler96
DadPhilosopher said:
Yes. @diapeybabybrian nailed it. AB/DL targeted diapers are mostly plastic backed because of demand driven by nostalgia, and as time goes on nostalgia will shift the other way. The respective advantages and disadvantages of each backing are more relevant to people wearing for practical reasons, but many AB/DLs (most?) put nostalgia at the top of the priority list.
I think the community is split here. Maybe AB is driven by nostalgia, but perhaps DL less so? As a DL my choices have no specific link to any childhood memory. I like plastic backed disposables but I was in cloth.

I'm DL, but I like plastic back better, mostly because they perform better, and a bit of nostalgia to boot.

diapeybabybrian said:
Worth noting though, With the right setup the Cloth-Like diapers do have their advantages on VERY HOT days.

They are indeed very practical for hot days and also for exercising or when quiet discretion is required; but that doesn´t make them suck less... they let out odor very quickly as they sort of perspire, so I constantly feel that I have a visible mark on my clothes.

I like the plastic backed for a different reason. I wet the bed and therefore wear diapers to bed. When I sleep the plastic slides across my bed pad a lot easier when I roll over. While I like the ABDL prints, if they only came in cloth like, I would not buy them for bed.

Reactions: diapeybabybrian and PadPhilosopher
DinoFran said:
They are indeed very practical for hot days and also for exercising or when quiet discretion is required; but that doesn´t make them suck less... they let out odor very quickly as they sort of perspire, so I constantly feel that I have a visible mark on my clothes.
I have noticed that too. Breathing goes both ways. It can alsp make them feel cold.

Reactions: DinoFrant
star said:
I think the community is split here. Maybe AB is driven by nostalgia, but perhaps DL less so? As a DL my choices have no specific link to any childhood memory. I like plastic backed disposables but I was in cloth.
I think that's a good theory, but like mine, which yours is essentially nuancing, there's going to be lots of exceptions. Normal is a setting on the washing machine, people aren't washing machines, and that makes life interesting. ;)

I think they are more appealing to abdl for their odor containment. If an infant poops, mom will want to change that as soon as possible. Whereas an abdl may like to extenf that time. Plastic backed makes it easier to extend that time without as many offending odors.

I'm not a big fan of cloth like ! There are many here that do enjoy them !
It all a matter of what you really like to wear !!! ;)

Back