Not open for further replies.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
This is something I've noticed and figure it could make an interesting discussion topic.

It seems in the AB/DL community, Pampers are generally more popular than Huggies. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that Pampers are easier for adults to wear and mod with their stretchiness. I've also noted people referencing the way they swell, along with the scent.

But could it be more than that? After all, it seems like for some people, ''Pampers'' is synonymous with ''diapers'' in a way that ''Huggies'' (or even Luvs) is not. Could it have something to do with Pampers being on the market first? (According to Wikipedia, Pampers were introduced in 1961, while Huggies were first test marketed in 1968 and released in 1978, although Kimberly-Clark did have the Kimbies brand before that.)

For me personally, I have a stronger attraction to Huggies which I think I can trace back to my childhood. My first love in the world of diapers was Pull-Ups (even though I didn't get my hands on them until years later, but that's another story). Anyway, since Huggies made Pull-Ups, I guess somewhere along the line that just put them in my mind as the ''superior and true'' baby-diaper brand over Pampers.

Because of Size 7 Cruisers, strecher sides, cute designs, and big absorbency! I love Pampers more in my opinion.

does anyone think that maybe just maybe the smell of pampers has something to do with it pampers always has that nice scent to them before they become "used" of course.

I was kind of lucky when I was younger and vividly remember being exposed to all 3 brands. My grandmother babysat a bunch of kids and their parents all had their favorite brand for their babies and toddlers.

I would "borrow" one or two if they had a lot in their diaper bag whenever I would get a chance and hide them for later in the evening. I remember pampers was always a jackpot for me because I loved the way they felt and seemed to stretch and fit me way better than the other brands. All the way up until I was around 9 or 10 when I finally grew out of them. Then babies apparently started becoming bigger and pampers came out with size 6 and I could fit in them until I was about 13. I finally reached a point where baby diapers just wouldn't work anymore and Huggies had their goodnites but it just was never the same feeling again.

I'll always have a nostalgia for pampers, the look and feel of their old plastic backed diapers from the 80s and 90s. I was glad that abu came out with the sdks but all they managed to replicate was the landing zone print. Sadly I have yet to find a diaper that truly replicates the look, feel, and smell of those diapers. I keep hoping I stumble across one some day, it will quickly become my new favorite brand.

I personally like the smell of pampers and the fact that their quality is generally better than other brands. However I have to say the most absorbent diaper I've ever tried from the baby diaper selection is probably Luvs. Recently I've noticed that size 7 has gotten SMALLER than size 6 which is unfortunate.

Edit*: I also agree with what Venesha said, if anyone ever came out with a diaper that replicated the look and feel and smell of those older 80s and 90s pampers that would be amazing.

Being in Australia I associate more with Huggies and Snugglers nappies but agree with American TV Pampers seems basically another word for Diapers.

Oh, how I miss those 90's pampers...

When I was a kid, I used to like Luvs the best, but modern pampers are so stretchy, soft, and adorable. I mostly wear ABDL diapers nowadays, but when I'm in the mood to wear baby diapers, they're the ones that fit the best.

My reasons for preferring Pampers (and Luvs) are mostly practical: They're a little larger than Huggies, and a LOT stretchier. I do also like the scents.

That said, I still enjoy Huggies, and have many fond memories of them from my youth. In my early teens, I was quite fond of the Huggies Baby Steps diapers, and bought them almost as often as Pampers Phases. (In both cases, I would buy the girls' kind.) As I got bigger, though, I just naturally found myself seeking out the baby diapers that worked better on my larger body, and mostly those were Pampers. :shrug:

I do not have much more to add to this thread except that the Pampers packets always looked better than Huggies. I found the Pampers packaging really sang to the past and the iconic logo is so recognisable to everyone.

I think I liked Huggies or Luvs more just because their name sounded cuter... but at this point anything that's adult sized but looks like it's for babies is a thrill!

Well, I like Pampers because I used to wear them back in the 70's. When I got too large for them, the old flat style could be easily modded to fit a pre-pubescent kid my size. Plus, the smell of the old Pampers was just great. Those diapers alone used to make the baby isle in grocery stores smell of...well...Pampers. I've been wearing adult diapers since I was a teenager in the 80's, but it does still amaze me how much farther ahead (even today) baby diapers are when compared to adult diapers. They are constantly evolving into a better product because of the huge number of babies that wear disposables. Incontinent adults and ABDLs don't have that buying power and, therefore, don't have the speed of product development or the lower cost (for that matter).

I think it's more of a name thing. Although there are several popular brands, I'd definitely put "Pampers" at the top of my list for any "diaper association" game.

Like for any of those name association games (like Password) what is the first word you'd say if you were trying to get them to say 'diapers'? "Pampers" of course. (at least that'd be MY first choice.. if they didn't get it then, we'd move on to Huggies, and if that didn't get it, I'd have to reach over and smack them)

I do like Pampers for the swelling and the scent. Also, they're the only ones who have a size 7 in the US. As far as training pants and nighttime pants go, though, I'm with Kimberly-Clark's Pull-Ups and Goodnites.

handsomestallion said:
I do like Pampers for the swelling and the scent. Also, they're the only ones who have a size 7 in the US. As far as training pants and nighttime pants go, though, I'm with Kimberly-Clark's Pull-Ups and Goodnites.

I will agree with the above ^^ statement you can never go wrong with pull-ups and\or Goodnites.

With some things, the brand becomes synonymous with the item. Down in MS, TN, AL, GA area, it's, "You want a Coke?"

"Yeah."

"What kind?"

"Mountain Dew."

With some people, it's, "Let's change your Pamper," no matter what brand.

Pampers have always been much bigger, more absorbent and are more heavily advertised in the US and Canada.

I think I used to wear pampers when I was a baby. I know my parents switched to huggies with my youngest brother. So after taking a few of those I only remember what a huggies diaper is like. Not only that, I have used huggie's pull ups most often when it comes down to it. I only just recently was able to get ABU's preschool to finally see what a diaper that fits me is like.

This thread makes me really want to try a pack of pampers now though. What is the smallest package I can get? and whats a good size for guy in his 20s?

Personally, my siblings and I were all put in Pampers as babies, meaning they were not only the first thing to pop into my mind when I heard 'diapers', but also my primary target for stealing and hiding as a kid. I think those formative experiences have a lot to do with our preferences as adults, e.g. folks who were diapered in cloth as babies likely prefer cloth as AB/DLs, and likewise with different varieties of disposables.

I would presume it's the stretch. Pampers were the first thing I thought of for disposable diapers as a kid but after shopping around, I preferred Huggies. I think if all baby diapers were equally adaptable to small adult frames, we'd see more interest in the other brands.

TheLittlestCoyote said:
Personally, my siblings and I were all put in Pampers as babies, meaning they were not only the first thing to pop into my mind when I heard 'diapers', but also my primary target for stealing and hiding as a kid. I think those formative experiences have a lot to do with our preferences as adults, e.g. folks who were diapered in cloth as babies likely prefer cloth as AB/DLs, and likewise with different varieties of disposables.

I completely agree, as long as there were no negative associations with what one had available in childhood. Parts of my childhood were awesome, but the diapers of my childhood, and if not, certainly the associations I had with them, weren't. I grew up with plastic backed, loudly tattling, hard, and terribly noisy when taping, and untaping.

I remember as a cerebrally palsied kid, (Forget Cabbage Patch kids. We were the first CPKs!) always being a little bit less than continent. What I mean is, adults never connected, "Her skeletal muscles don't work, and her bladder and bowels are muscles, so maybe. . ." To my accidents. Dumbasses! Sorry, had too. Thing was, I was able to hold it most of the time. As I got older, and bigger, diapers would just show up as needed, like after my medial hamstring and adductor surgery. Guess what showed up. Cloth, utterly silent, non-tattling cloth! Then I hit kindergarten, and was put in a green medical youth diaper for an accident. Now, I know it had to be done, I didn't have spare undies, but, weird kid that I was, I showed it to everyone, like, "Hey, my friends are back," because at United Cerebral Palsy preschool, all the kids wore, and got hit by the reality that they weren't okay anymore.

I remember trying to wet, just to feel better.

Cloth is my antithesis of torture, a
:neener_neener::neener_neener::neener_neener:to those childhood moments, as long as it has snaps. Velcro makes me think of AFOs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back