Why Star Trek is better than Star Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Starrunner

So here we are in 2016 and it's shaping up to be a great year for both these franchises. Star wars: The Force Awakens made a ton of money, while Star Trek celebrates its fiftieth anniversary this year with Star Trek Beyond hitting the movies theatres on July 22nd. Yay!

Both franchises have been successful in rebooting their respective series (I'm ignoring the dismal Star Wars prequel here!) and I'm looking forward to some really good movies for years to come.

I thought this would be a good time to start a debate over which series is better: Star Trek or Star Wars. (I'm probably just being a bitter person because I fully expect that The Force Awakens will gross more money than Star Trek Beyond and I don't think it's fair).So set your phasers on stun, raise your light sabres high, let the battle begin. As you have probably clued in by now, I think Star Trek wins hands down over Star Wars for a number of reasons which I'll outline below.

No Jar Jar Binks!
This pretty much speaks for itself. Binks was probably the most annoying, despicable creature in the history of sci fi cinema. And although he takes the top prize for sheer stupidity, Lucas created other annoying characters as well, such as cute, cuddly Ewoks (obviously designed for marketing merchandise) not to mention dull characters ridden with cliché scripts.

Time Travel
Star Trek had some of the most ingenious and innovative stories based on time travel. "City on the Edge of Forever" was one of its best stories with Kirk going back in time and falling in love, then having to let her die to restore the timeline. "The Voyage Home" had the crew going back in time to save the whales and avoid destruction in the future." Yesterday's Enterprise brought back the deceased Tasha Yar from an alternate reality and let her go back in time to make her death meaningful. Great concepts.

Diversity of plots and genres
Star Trek has crossed the genres of drama, comedy, allegorical stories, social commentary, action, morality plays and high-concept sci fi ideas. Star Wars pretty much tells the same story over and over. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was simply a retread of "A New Hope." The series actually began 'riffing' itself back in 1983 with "Return of the Jedi" which recycled concepts from the previous two movies with another light sabre showdown between Luke and Vader, another Death Star, another party scene with weird aliens. But of course there was Leia's gold bikini to please young fanboys.

Spock
The true definition of a cultural icon. Anyone in the world could be shown a picture of Leonard Nimoy as Spock and there are very few people who wouldn't recognize his character or the quote "Live long and prosper."

Weird resolutions to romances
Let's just put it this way. Chakotay never fell in love with Janeway only to discover she was his sister. Just disturbing.

Borg Cubes vs. Death Stars
The Borg have thousands of cubes throughout the galaxy. Vader only had one Death Star and every time it got destroyed, he had to spend years building another one.

Phasers are more practical than lightsabres
Seriously, who would stand a chance in a duel with a light sabre if the other guy can incinerate you from fifty yards away?

Multicultural diversity
Star Trek wasn't afraid to push the boundaries back in the 60's by having a multicultural crew on the bridge, including a Russian, Asian, Black woman (and a Vulcan). This was unheard of during those years. Star Trek also televised the first interracial kiss on television, which barely got past the censors of those days.

Cooler ships
Starting with the iconic USS Enterprise, as well as Romulan Warbirds and Klingon Birds of Prey, Star Trek has way better ships. The Millennium Falcon looks like a bunch of garbage cans glued together in comparison.

Science over magic
Star Trek solves problems through science and intelligence, not a belief in a supernatural force. A number of early concepts in Star Trek led to innovations in science and technology including computers,, cell phones and other technology.http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/10-star-trek-technologies.htm

Better Villains
Star Trek has a wealth of memorable bad guys: Khan, the Borg, Q, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians. Star Wars only had Vader and Kyle Ren who looks like a Vader Wannabe.

My View:
Star Trek will continue to boldly go where no one one has gone before with original stories and new concepts, while Star Wars seems doomed to keep retreading the same old stories from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Star Trek rules!

Last edited by a moderator:

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
I am probably one of the only people that exists that liked Jar Jar XD

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Star Trek rules!

yeah, but bear in mind that Star Wars is Olde Worlde and Star Trek is footchy wootchy (had to do something, there :biggrin:)

apart from that.....YAY!!! :clap:
i've never been keen on Star Wars, either. sure, it was a spectacle when it first came out, but it was, and still is, all about merchandizing. each film is just one big temptvert for the toys.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Both have there strong points.

Star Trek has so many storylines and spin offs.

I like both, but am an original Trekie follower. That is where I stop, IMO they killed the series by altering the timeline/reality with the new movies.

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Also a lot of tech in Star trek has come to reality
Communicators, Mobile phones
Portable pad computers
Hypo sprays
touch screens
view screens

S

Starrunner

You have tremendous courage in admitting this. I'd suggest a support group but I suspect you would be the only person in it, heheheh.

yeah, but bear in mind that Star Wars is Olde Worlde and Star Trek is footchy wootchy (had to do something, there :biggrin:)

apart from that.....YAY!!! :clap:
i've never been keen on Star Wars, either. sure, it was a spectacle when it first came out, but it was, and still is, all about merchandizing. each film is just one big temptvert for the toys.

Yep. As soon as I saw BB-8, I could just see the merchandise, toys, action figures, plushies rolling off the assembly line, just in time for Christmas..

Both have there strong points.

Star Trek has so many storylines and spin offs.

I like both, but am an original Trekie follower. That is where I stop, IMO they killed the series by altering the timeline/reality with the new movies.

I actually like the new movies, but then again I'm also a Chis Pine fan. I think they pretty much had to alter the timeline in order to have the sense the crew would be in any danger. These movies start before the five year mission. There wouldn't be much drama or danger to the new crew if the timeline remained the same because we know they will all live long lives (and prosper!) since we've already seen how the later years play out for them. There wouldn't be much danger if you knew they were going to survive.

Also a lot of tech in Star trek has come to reality
Communicators, Mobile phones
Portable pad computers
Hypo sprays
touch screens
view screens

Even transporters!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...first-step-towards-Star-Trek-transporter.html

Last edited by a moderator:

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
You have tremendous courage in admitting this. I'd suggest a support group but I suspect you're be the only person in it, hehehe.

Well, I suppose the issue is, Episode one was the first star wars movie I had ever seen. I was also a kid when I watched it, and I thought Jar Jar was cute. So you could even say he was my favorite character in the movie lol. I also liked the way he talked.

P

PyjamaBaby

Wow. Seriously? Blasphemy. Star Wars is so much better than Star Trek. Just saying! [emoji12][emoji12]

Hobbes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I adore both for their own merits, though I'd probably tip it in Star Trek's favour, if only because for Deep Space Nine's fantastic arc that borrowed its origins from a better show - which leads me to my alternate argument.

Babylon 5 is better than both of them.

1. Far more realistic depiction of humanity
2. Far more realistic depiction of technology
3. Interesting, multidimensional characters with deep flaws and amazing arcs through the series
4. A classic, epic story arc full of reflection, wonder, terror and hair-standing-on-the-back-of-your-neck quotables
5. No Jar Jar Binks

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
I refuse to take sides in this argument. I love both!

I like Jar Jar too, even if he was ridiculous sometimes!

Little2Roo

Published Author
Company Rep
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
An interesting thread. I had this debate with myself as a kid - which universe would I rather live in, the Star Wars or the Star Trek universe? Yes, I loved them both and as a child it was a difficult decision, especially considering Spock was a kind of intellectual role model for me. But, ultimately I ended up in the Star Wars universe because for me it made for better imaginative play.

As an adult, I am able to see that the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek lies somewhat in the difference between Religion and Science. Star Wars is about the Force (a kind of religion), a fight between good and evil, passion, and takes place in an often dirty, gritty and broken world. Star Trek is about Science/Technology, reason, intelligence, and rising to the top of your own personal talent (a Meritocracy). Each has its merits, and I find myself flipping back and forth between the two.

As an aside - I HATE time travel, always have, always will. It amounts to literary and cinematic cheating. The dead aren't truly dead, and your mistakes can always be undone. Sorry, just me, but I want nothing to do with Time Travel.

Tig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarchinBunny

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
As an aside - I HATE time travel, always have, always will. It amounts to literary and cinematic cheating. The dead aren't truly dead, and your mistakes can always be undone. Sorry, just me, but I want nothing to do with Time Travel.

I think the issue with time travel is it has to be done right. It's easy to really mess it up and make it feel like you are watching a bunch of non sense full of god modding and mistakes. With that said, it's not like all time travel is bad ... it's just rare to find a story that does it well.

Mattew

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I love both for different reasons, so I can't really decide.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I like both a lot but sorry Star Wars beats Star Trek hands down... Never seen a Jedi get caught up on anything as ridiculously dangerous as their ships "always prone to malfunction and trap you" holodeck. Those things make JarJar seem worthwhile.

True though no Star Wars army would stand upto a Federation fleet but then no Borg fleet would stand upto a Zentradi armada.

ozbub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Dahhhh.... ummmm....Star Wars.

:dunno: Trekkies lol ...... soz Sheldon

Ok so maybe I'll consider this.............nah

- - - Updated - - -

seriously? Star Wars is just awesome :biggrin:

S

Starrunner

Very disturbing how this thread is turning into a love-in for Jar Jar. Believe me, that was not my intent! :chin:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/star-wars-episode-i--the-phantom-menace/why-we-hate-jar-jar-binks/

An interesting thread. I had this debate with myself as a kid - which universe would I rather live in, the Star Wars or the Star Trek universe? Yes, I loved them both and as a child it was a difficult decision, especially considering Spock was a kind of intellectual role model for me. But, ultimately I ended up in the Star Wars universe because for me it made for better imaginative play.

As an adult, I am able to see that the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek lies somewhat in the difference between Religion and Science. Star Wars is about the Force (a kind of religion), a fight between good and evil, passion, and takes place in an often dirty, gritty and broken world. Star Trek is about Science/Technology, reason, intelligence, and rising to the top of your own personal talent (a Meritocracy). Each has its merits, and I find myself flipping back and forth between the two.

Tig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time travel is a lot of fun when it's done right. I love the logistical headaches of trying to figure out if their actions in the past will change the future timeline or restore it. For example, if technology from the future is left in a past timeline, did it change the future timeline, or was it a circle where leaving it behind is what created the future timeline? "The Voyage Home" is one of my favourite movies (it ties with "The Wrath of Khan). They go back in the past to save two whales and bring them back to the future to save the planet. Great story, lots of humour and an environmental message.

Besides, even if you don't like time travel, it's only one concept used in Star Trek and not all that frequently. My friend and I both loved "The Next Generation," we just never agreed on which ones were the best ones. I liked the social commentary stories or the ones with drama, while she preferred the stories that were more action and adventure. So we both loved the show, we just had different opinions on what made it great.

M

Maxx

I'm not a huge fan of either, really, although I have found them enjoyable enough over the years. The product marketing side of it is off-putting to me. Even worse, the city of Chicago is lobbying for the Luca/Star Wars museum on the lakefront.... seriously? A museum for one guy's set of movies? If anything is temporary and ephemeral, its that! Up until the recent mayor, the lakefront was considered semi-sacred. They've resisted cluttering up the lakefront for a long time, reserving most of it for public use. Of course a Star Wars museum would be less of an obscenity than the proposed BHO presidential library.

Anyway, back on topic, this being a Starrunner thread, I guess I'm obliged to take the opposite view....

I thought this would be a good time to start a debate over which series is better: Star Trek or Star Wars. (I'm probably just being a bitter person because I fully expect that The Force Awakens will gross more money than Star Trek Beyond and I don't think it's fair).So set your phasers on stun, raise your light sabres high, let the battle begin. As you have probably clued in by now, I think Star Trek wins hands down over Star Wars for a number of reasons which I'll outline below.
I don't know about better, just different. Star Trek began as a TV series and retains that flavor to this day.

Star wars is more of a comic book super hero sort of story. Before reality set in, when my age was still measured in single digits, I wanted to be Tarzan, as envisioned by ERB. The first science fiction/fantasy book I read as a child was ERB's Princess of Mars. Like diapers, early imprinting has a lot to do with later tastes and preferences. There's a lot of John Carter in Star Wars, from land speeders to swords to scantily clad voluptuous Princesses. Oh, and creatures of various sizes, shapes, and number of limbs.

No Jar Jar Binks!
This pretty much speaks for itself. Binks was probably the most annoying, despicable creature in the history of sci fi cinema. And although he takes the top prize for sheer stupidity, Lucas created other annoying characters as well, such as cute, cuddly Ewoks (obviously designed for marketing merchandise) not to mention dull characters ridden with cliché scripts.
While we may not love Jar Jar, everybody knows one. Reminds me very much of a black woman I used to work with. I disguised my racist conservative self so well that I think she actually had a crush on me. The best single thing about leaving that job was never having to see or listen to her again. In the meantime, I had taught her enough that she ended up with my job.

Time Travel
Star Trek had some of the most ingenious and innovative stories based on time travel. "City on the Edge of Forever" was one of its best stories with Kirk going back in time and falling in love, then having to let her die to restore the timeline. "The Voyage Home" had the crew going back in time to save the whales and avoid destruction in the future." Yesterday's Enterprise brought back the deceased Tasha Yar from an alternate reality and let her go back in time to make her death meaningful. Great concepts.
Travelling at light speed is essentially time travel. Just another plot device..... so you don't have to see 3000 movies over several generations while going from one planet to the next. A civilization capable of time travel wouldn't bother capturing a whale. They'd sneak in, grab a few cells and clone one. So much less messy and resource intensive.

By the by, Catherine Hicks was a babe. I didn't give a damn about the rest of it.

Diversity of plots and genres
Star Trek has crossed the genres of drama, comedy, allegorical stories, social commentary, action, morality plays and high-concept sci fi ideas. Star Wars pretty much tells the same story over and over. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was simply a retread of "A New Hope." The series actually began 'riffing' itself back in 1983 with "Return of the Jedi" which recycled concepts from the previous two movies with another light sabre showdown between Luke and Vader, another Death Star, another party scene with weird aliens. But of course there was Leia's gold bikini to please young fanboys.

Its a TV show from the 60's. Of course they play to the flavor of the week.

Since you are gay, I wouldn't expect you to get the bikini thing. Not that she was all THAT hot, but what the heck. Truth be told, that imagery was 100% lifted from Princess of Mars (the book, not the movie), and that's a good thing.

[/B]The true definition of a cultural icon. Anyone in the world could be shown a picture of Leonard Nimoy as Spock and there are very few people who wouldn't recognize his character or the quote "Live long and prosper."

These are not the droids you're looking for.

Weird resolutions to romances
Let's just put it this way. Chakotay never fell in love with Janeway only to discover she was his sister. Just disturbing.

What gives you the right to call anything disturbing?

Borg Cubes vs. Death Stars
The Borg have thousands of cubes throughout the galaxy. Vader only had one Death Star and every time it got destroyed, he had to spend years building another one.

I'll give you that one. Borg = cellular communications industry.

Phasers are more practical than lightsabres
Seriously, who would stand a chance in a duel with a light sabre if the other guy can incinerate you from fifty yards away?

Light sabre in the hands of a Jedi could easily deflect the phaser beam. Besides, swords are cool. Always have been. One would think you would be an Errol Flynn fan.....

Multicultural diversity
Star Trek wasn't afraid to push the boundaries back in the 60's by having a multicultural crew on the bridge, including a Russian, Asian, Black woman (and a Vulcan). This was unheard of during those years. Star Trek also televised the first interracial kiss on television, which barely got past the censors of those days.
Yawn. I find pandering to the trendy off-putting. Everywhere you turn these days, there's an ad with intentionally racially ambiguous models.

Cooler ships
Starting with the iconic USS Enterprise, as well as Romulan Warbirds and Klingon Birds of Prey, Star Trek has way better ships. The Millennium Falcon looks like a bunch of garbage cans glued together in comparison.
I prefer the steam punk look of many of the Star Wars vehicles. Again, many directly lifted from ERB.
Science over magic
Star Trek solves problems through science and intelligence, not a belief in a supernatural force. A number of early concepts in Star Trek led to innovations in science and technology including computers,, cell phones and other technology.http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/10-star-trek-technologies.htm

Not all THAT visionary. Anyone in the communications industry knew about that stuff at the time, even if it wasn't yet mainstream. Then of course, Dick Tracy.
Better Villains
Star Trek has a wealth of memorable bad guys: Khan, the Borg, Q, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians. Star Wars only had Vader and Kyle Ren who looks like a Vader Wannabe.

How many villains do you need when you have Darth Vader and his lackeys? Sauron worked well enough for Lord of the Rings.... but I guess that was small-time....

My View:
Star Trek will continue to boldly go where no one one has gone before with original stories and new concepts, while Star Wars seems doomed to keep retreading the same old stories from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Like any TV series. People get in the habit of tuning in on Tuesday at 8, while the classic tale of the Great Quest is timeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.