Status
Not open for further replies.

perlFerret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
I've been trolling thrift stores all summer here and the two brands I most commonly see are Certainty Fitted Briefs (bleh.) and Tranquility ATN (yay!). But the ATNs are ALWAYS Extra Small (or Small in the new sizing scale). I've never seen a Medium or Large. I get more and more grumpy that all they ever have is XS. :p

Any clues as to why that is? Is it just that the medium/larges get snapped up right away? Noticed the same thing in shoes, by the way. I've been looking for some patent leather dress shoes for Commandery drill. All of the ones I've found in my size have been trashed beyond restoration and the ones that are nice are all too big or too small. :(

All they have at my goodwill is XL and XXL of the crappy brands.

perlFerret said:
I've been trolling thrift stores all summer here and the two brands I most commonly see are Certainty Fitted Briefs (bleh.) and Tranquility ATN (yay!). But the ATNs are ALWAYS Extra Small (or Small in the new sizing scale). I've never seen a Medium or Large. I get more and more grumpy that all they ever have is XS.(

Keep in mind why those are there. They're from estate cleanouts or when parents had to take parents to nursing homes. Elderly folk like that are usually pretty skinny at that stage in their life. So that's the last size of diaper they were in before they went to the home or kicked the bucket. And so all the random stuff from the house that didn't fly at the garage / estate sale goes to goodwill. Unsurprisingly, (especially opened) bags of adult diapers aren't a big seller at garage/estate sales.

The local Salvation Army store (the only place I've seen diapers) has just the Certainty brand, so I don't even bother checking the size. I've found Depends Pull-Ups for Men on EBay, but these are always the L/XL. It's an imperfect wold.

Expand your search. I make a loop every few weeks, that if I drove the entire thing in one day would be about 150 miles. Most of the time I find nothing of interest. However I've found vintage Depends from the early 90's and Attends from the late 80's, as well as clearance Molicares and
Attends 10 for $5 a pack and they were all size Medium.

The trick is to assume thrift stores are like beach combing. No one talks about most of their finds being bottle caps, you hear about the gold ring or the silver coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back