Why is wearing and using a diaper so taboo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
winterheart01 said:
Actually, some time a collegue of mine expressed his disgust for people with a disability needing to wear diapers, he said "I don't ever want a child that has to wear a stinky diaper all his life", now I understand as a parent you want your children to be healthy, but the way he said it really made it obvious he doesn't like such people at all, he considers them "inferior" just because of the disability.
It kept echoing in my mind for a few days though, made me realise (along with other things that happened between us) that I don't want have too many chats with this person anymore, I'm sure he's already talking bad things behind my back too (I have witnesses)

But yes, I find it sad that this indoctrination can lead people to be so narrow minded.
That is very insensitive of your colleague.

I am a DL and can understand people thinking that is weird, because I wear by choice. I even acknowledge that it is a bit strange.

I have a 14 year old special needs child in a wheelchair, so she obviously wears diapers. I have never experienced a negative reaction from anyone with respect to her wearing diapers. I wouldn’t trade her for anything.

Ironically, I recently told my wife about liking to wear diapers and she weirded out. You would think diapers would be no big deal to her with our daughter wearing 24/7. This shows that for most people their reaction is based on the circumstances. Her issue with me wearing is that I don’t have a legitimate need. “Grown men don’t wear diapers if they don’t have to.” She would be supportive if I had a medical reason. She knows people with incontinence need diapers and has no issues with that.

Reactions: bounduptoplease and 12srepaid
winterheart01 said:
Actually, some time a collegue of mine expressed his disgust for people with a disability needing to wear diapers, he said "I don't ever want a child that has to wear a stinky diaper all his life", now I understand as a parent you want your children to be healthy, but the way he said it really made it obvious he doesn't like such people at all, he considers them "inferior" just because of the disability.
It kept echoing in my mind for a few days though, made me realise (along with other things that happened between us) that I don't want have too many chats with this person anymore, I'm sure he's already talking bad things behind my back too (I have witnesses)

But yes, I find it sad that this indoctrination can lead people to be so narrow minded.
That's just a one off though, many parents nowadays don't really say that sort of stuff anymore. Also what they said is fucked up and they shouldn't be allowed children because God forbid they have one who "has to wear a stinky diaper all his life".

Like I have said before, one is not automatically a slob because they wear diapers

Nor is someone not a slob if they dont wear diapers

Somebody can be a filthy pig of a person that doesn't take hygiene seriously and not wear diapers at all

Conversely someone can be diaper Dependent and be a more hygienic person than the person described above that doesn't use diapers at all

Having to wear diapers just means you need to have a better degree of hygiene because otherwise your health can suffer more easily

Well this person is just very quick to look down on others and when someone nerds diapers all his life he immediately labels it either as mentally retarded or unsuitable for this society.

So yes i was pretty offended by that even though he did not refer to me.
And it's only 1 year ago he said that.

Reactions: DiaperLuver06
winterheart01 said:

I really hope he doesn't end up with a special needs child that will need them. I couldn't imagine what they could possibly go through.

Reactions: 12srepaid
Calico said:
I really hope he doesn't end up with a special needs child that will need them. I couldn't imagine what they could possibly go through.
he's got 2 children, both lightly in the autism spectrum, hence they're quite good in maths and sports (whichever each focussed on) but more practical skills are less developed, so while they're diaper free he's to worry about other things this brings with it.

winterheart01 said:
he's got 2 children, both lightly in the autism spectrum, hence they're quite good in maths and sports (whichever each focussed on) but more practical skills are less developed, so while they're diaper free he's to worry about other things this brings with it.

Well that is unfortunate. If he is so bigoted against IC, I wonder what else he is bigoted against. People like him need to be cancelled.

I've mentioned in years past that much of society's 'problem' with ABs and DLs can be traced back to women and their rather pragmatic view of diapers. Most girls still grow up with baby dolls and many are changing sibling's diapers while still in grade school. Once they're adolescents and babysitting, diapers are commonplace. The familiarity with diapers and the processes involved creates a mindset: Diapers are for babies.

Trying to get past that conditioned roadblock is something many guys struggle with; in most cases, it's all but impenetrable. Women tend to seek a strong male partner rather than a child, and the confused role models – big guy versus toddler in diapers – is often more than the lady can accept or understand.

While Calico is certainly entitled to her opinion that people who disapprove of IC or adults in diapers should be 'cancelled,' and while many of us might be sympathetic to such a call for action, the plain truth is that we'd wipe out most of the world. The problem is one of conditioning and perception, and we're unlikely to be able to do anything about either one. The ABs who parade themselves for the world to see are, while within their rights to do so, not doing the rest of us any favors in that their actions effectively prejudice many against our simple, harmless recreation.

Reactions: RedPandaDL
I seriously doubt many people judge those who have to wear diapers. In fact people are actually sympathetic about it.

Calico said:
I seriously doubt many people judge those who have to wear diapers. In fact people are actually sympathetic about it.

That's the key, not many seem to disapprove of those with IC, but when it's not a medical necessity then the attitude changes to "how dare they enjoy diapers, they must be messed up in the head"

Reactions: sbmccue
Answering the original question; my take on it is that diapers will always be considered taboo, simply because they’re always associated with relieving oneself. Which in itself will always be considered taboo and unpleasant because of the smells, germs, consistency etc. So I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people to react to diapers in this way.

I think people have a general understanding that babies or people with disabilities need diapers and that can’t be helped. Whereas an ABDL will be seen as subjecting themselves to this taboo or unpleasant subject voluntarily.

More people accept those who have to wear them than those who don't have bladder or bowel issues but stil
BabyTyrant said:
That's the key, not many seem to disapprove of those with IC, but when it's not a medical necessity then the attitude changes to "how dare they enjoy diapers, they must be messed up in the head"

But lot of people don't even care that you wear diapers or else I would have been given a hard time about it and people would be commenting if they noticed them on me. But no one says anything. It's not childhood where kids will say anything when they notice it and start teasing you about it and giving you a hard time.

And I don't know why people here are defending these people who hate IC people. I find that pretty disturbing. Reminds me of the time when someone online called us all pedophiles for being ABDL and ABDLs decide to defend that person despite that they were slammed by her because people dogpiled on her for being a bigot about us and calling us pedos. If that makes me a terrible person for not giving a shit about bigots, then I am a terrible person then towards bigots and that is okay.

Calico said:
More people accept those who have to wear them than those who don't have bladder or bowel issues but stil

But lot of people don't even care that you wear diapers or else I would have been given a hard time about it and people would be commenting if they noticed them on me. But no one says anything. It's not childhood where kids will say anything when they notice it and start teasing you about it and giving you a hard time.

And I don't know why people here are defending these people who hate IC people. I find that pretty disturbing. Reminds me of the time when someone online called us all pedophiles for being ABDL and ABDLs decide to defend that person despite that they were slammed by her because people dogpiled on her for being a bigot about us and calling us pedos. If that makes me a terrible person for not giving a shit about bigots, then I am a terrible person then towards bigots and that is okay.

Yeah I am not defending people that have something against people with IC, it's not like they asked for it.

Especially the guy saying he doesnt want a kid that has to wear "stinky diapers all day"

You are supposed to love your children no matter what and adapt to any difficulties that come along; not hate the children for having such problems.

I'd like to think that over the next couple decades, the sheer availability of adult diapers will make wearing a diaper less shocking, whether for IC reasons, for convenience (movies, traveling, New Years Eve), or maybe if they're just your favorite kind of underwear. Maybe. I've been 24/7 for over a year and while the topic has never come up, if any family, friends, neighbors, or coworkers should ask, I will keep it simple and just say that my bladder control is shot. For very close family or friends I might disclose the real reason, but currently only some local ABDL friends and my sister know the truth. In a perfect world, nobody should care....but we're still working on that.

BabyTyrant said:
Especially the guy saying he doesnt want a kid that has to wear "stinky diapers all day"

I'd be tempted to remind the guy every time he has B.O., lol.

I grew up seeing special needs kids wearing diapers. I was in special classes and saw it. The majority of us didn't wear them and only a few did. There was always at least that 1 child in my class that did. Next door, there were two boys in that class that were still in them. One of them drooled and couldn't talk and the other one could talk but always wore a helmet. But they both could walk. When I was finally in mainstream full time, no one in my class wore them but there were at least 3 kids in my school I knew that wore them. 2 were wheelchair users and the other one was a regular kid. They were all in my brothers' grades.

I think if you are obviously handicapped, kids won't give you a hard time about it but if you look normal and are able bodied and you wear diapers, you will be teased in school. I remember seeing a photo of that normal looking boy in my brother's yearbook and he had a X through his photo. I don't know if it was because he wore diapers or if because he was just not a nice kid.

Maybe me seeing older kids in diapers as a child made me accept diapers more because they were normal to me. But for a while I just thought only old people and babies and disabled people only wore them and I couldn't wear any. But once I discovered other people liked wearing them, it made me feel better about myself and got me to wear them.

I have heard of horrid stories by IC people who had parents who didn't accept their medical issue so they always got in trouble for their accidents or they constantly lived in stress and always had to limit fluids and get dehydrated, couldn't go to certain place, avoided sleepovers, one of them even was covered in scars because her parents spent all her childhood life taking her to doctors trying to fix her problem and none of the treatments worked and I knew someone who had a girlfriend who got institutionalized by her parents because she wouldn't wear a catheter and her parents didn't want to use diapers on her and keep using them and that killed their relationship because that place only accepted family members as visitors so he was not able to see her. All these stories break my heart and it should be considered child abuse. Forcing your kid to wet the bed, starving them, dehydrating them, humiliating them by forcing them to have public accidents, child abuse. But sadly I don't think social services would see it that way. Ableism isn't considered child abuse.

• Sad
Reactions: DiaperLuver06
Now if it is the kid that is choosing to not wear diapers and would rather have an accident, that isn't child abuse then because they are making that choice, it's not being forced upon them.

BabyTyrant said:
Trust me I was shocked when he said that, i'm not defending him either....I worked with him and changed team after that, now I don't have to deal with him so often anymore. I recall walking the corridor a little lost after hearing that, for I knew that if he ever found out about me , his opinion would change very quickly.

It happened here more often about 30 years ago that people were this opinionated.
Now things changed a bit, people tend to understand more.

I think things are getting better; but it's not exactly an easy thing to get more people to accept

I think it would help a lot if more Diaper companies stopped trying to avoid the word "Diaper" they always try their best to avoid using "Diaper" and will say something like "Briefs" "Absorbent Briefs" or something like that to make their clients feel better or something

Which ultimately is going to hold back public acceptance as long as people are too afraid to admit they are Diapers and keep feeling ashamed by it

I feel like when people stop feeling shame about it and stand up and say "yeah, I am wearing a diaper, it's the sensible thing to do to manage my condition" then the "Bullies" of the world wouldn't be able to do anything about it and things would naturally move in a positive direction

Last edited:
Reactions: diaperedjb
In the words of Captain Picard — and as quoted by many: "There is an unfortunate tendency in many cultures to fear what they do not understand."

Reactions: BoyLuc, CookieMonstah, bounduptoplease and 1 other person
DLsecretlittle said:
I keep going back to this thought: something as “dirty “ as anal sex is normalized, while simply wearing a diaper, not even using it, is “disgusting.” Why? It seems so arbitrary.
I don't think anal sex is normalized.... What do people "generally" automatically go to when they think of two men in a relationship? What do people still love to say when you are getting a bad deal "taking it up the ...."

Diapers, because it's not in their mind and if they don't understand it, it makes it wrong (opinion). And, someone who must use for medical reasons, "they're broken" in many people's minds. Even if un/subconsciously.

It's the society we grew up in. It's hard to shake. Even in here, I feel embarrassed discussing it. :cry: That's why I'm trying to post more. I guess I'll see. When my partner discovered some used pull-ups in individual bags hidden under my sink before I got them out, he was grossed out so that went really, really., REALLY badly. Being an alpha had it's benefits - I ordered him, a few times, out of my bathroom using the "dignity" word. We've never spoke of it again (almost a year).

Most people talk about where they hide their stash. I am more concerned about hiding wet pull-ups.

I hide them in double bagged office trashcan (below the trash bag, another trash bag within that, individual doggie poop pickup bags) then either take them to a large retail place (in a black trash bag) that has parking lot trashcans or wait until last minute before trash pickup and put them in the trash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back