Why is there not a friend finder section/feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Sissy
Perhaps it would clutter up the New Posts section, yes, but...

A lot of us really would benefit by trying to find someone near us who is also TB, or AB.

Like, I mean --

I almost made a post asking for people near DC, but then I thought -- Well, shit, non-DC-area people don't wanna hear that shit, nor do I wanna open a Pandora's Box of a million people asking for people near their area.

Is there a good way to do this?

Am I overlooking a feature or something? >.>

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
As far as I can remember, this isn't a feature for a reason.

You aren't the first person to ask about finding people near you. But I'm pretty sure the reason that there isn't a feature like that is because ADISC is a support community, not a "Come see who lives nearby and meet in real life" community. If you could just put in "DC" and have a whole list of those who say that they live in DC, there'd be a whole lot more sick people trying to get into ADISC just to use that feature.

Also, there'd be two ways to do it (Unless I'm overlooking something.)

One would be to take it directly from a person's 'Location' description. So the search engine would have to sort through a lot of junk to get directly to it. For instance, if someone put in a search that read only "DC", you would NOT show up, because your location says "Maryland/DC, USA".

The other way would be to use a person's IP address (or something of the sort) which would be an invasion of privacy.

Sure, there could be a feature which you could accept or reject to have yourself put up on the search engine, but you still get back to the pedo-magnet issue.

Role
  1. Sissy
As far as I can remember, this isn't a feature for a reason.

You aren't the first person to ask about finding people near you. But I'm pretty sure the reason that there isn't a feature like that is because ADISC is a support community, not a "Come see who lives nearby and meet in real life" community. If you could just put in "DC" and have a whole list of those who say that they live in DC, there'd be a whole lot more sick people trying to get into ADISC just to use that feature.

Yes, good point. It's a bit harder to find individuals on here, but if I were to find someone, the end result would be much better -- someone I basically know is trustworthy.

Aby has such a feature, but thus far the results have been less than stellar.

>.>

It's so difficult to find people around my own age to discuss this with in real life and be a baby with. Oh, well. v.V

Also, there'd be two ways to do it (Unless I'm overlooking something.)

One would be to take it directly from a person's 'Location' description. So the search engine would have to sort through a lot of junk to get directly to it. For instance, if someone put in a search that read only "DC", you would NOT show up, because your location says "Maryland/DC, USA".

The other way would be to use a person's IP address (or something of the sort) which would be an invasion of privacy.

Sure, there could be a feature which you could accept or reject to have yourself put up on the search engine, but you still get back to the pedo-magnet issue.

Mmm, yes.

Pedos aren't good. >.>

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Yes, good point. It's a bit harder to find individuals on here, but if I were to find someone, the end result would be much better -- someone I basically know is trustworthy.

Aby has such a feature, but thus far the results have been less than stellar.

>.>

It's so difficult to find people around my own age to discuss this with in real life and be a baby with. Oh, well. v.V

Well, if you want to meet people, then try to make friends on here.

Once a person knows you fairly well, it'll be more likely that they'll want to meet in real life.

I mean, we live very close to each other, but I have no desire to meet you yet, despite such closeness in location. I simply don't know you well enough.

Mmm, yes.

Pedos aren't good. >.>

Very true. :)

Role
  1. Sissy
Well, if you want to meet people, then try to make friends on here.

Once a person knows you fairly well, it'll be more likely that they'll want to meet in real life.

I mean, we live very close to each other, but I have no desire to meet you yet, despite such closeness in location. I simply don't know you well enough.

I don't want to meet you, anyway.

You're a girl and girls have cooties. :giggles:

Jaykay, of course. :smile1:

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
If you go to your profile or profile other people, you can click thing like the location, and it will take you to everyone that has that in their profile.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Could be that stuff has already been said but I'm going to post it anyhow:

This isn't a dating site or anything like that, it's a community and the way we connect is through the internet, place doesn't matter in that case. What we encourage is to make friends, after a while you might want to meet, then you can do that but we don't want people to join specifically to meet others. That brings up the risk of pedos etc. and while we do quite a good job at keeping those out, we aren't perfect as been seen before. I can even remember a few (not specifically pedos but people that lied about stuff) where it was months before we found out. So with the safety of the members in mind we can't do this. especially as a community that's quite focused on being a safe place for teens to go to (as opposed to most *B sites)

Hope this answered your question.

Dark Bringer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Is that similarly why I don't see any geographic social groups anymore? I understand the safety concerns but I thought it was cool to get a general idea of people who lived somewhat nearby.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Besides, and this is pretty trivial, I can't see forum software parsing a named locale into, say, latitude/longitude or gps coordinates or any such standard. So location-based friend finding would be pretty inefficient, so it's pretty dead in the water anyway.

Onna more serious note... There is no way to stop pm's or other private communications between individuals. There are even members of long standing who announce trips, and invite possible contacts; some members have met up and blogged a bit about doing so. But we really don't want rl meetup arrangements to turn into a free-for-all; for one thing, it could dominate the site if allowed to run free. For another, as long as meetings are special and singular, high standards can be maintained: like the member(s) having been known for (at least) some months, and their character having been established, and their age being over 18. Meetings are all very nice in theory but ought be handled carefully, or mishaps will occur, like one person turning up and being younger than they made out, or another turning out to be a troll on the make. One bad incident could damage this site's reputation.

There are other sites with a stronger focus on rl encounters; why not stick to them if nearby likeminded people are what you want?

Last edited:

Goose

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Besides, and this is pretty trivial, I can't see forum software parsing a named locale into, say, latitude/longitude or gps coordinates or any such standard. So location-based friend finding would be pretty inefficient, so it's pretty dead in the water anyway.
Naw, but you could search by city.

Although that's already possible. Go to someone's profile and click on where they live. Check the url. It says like somevar=USA or something like that. CHange the USA to whatever you want your search to be, and it'll look for people.

Role
  1. Private
Perhaps it would clutter up the New Posts section, yes, but...

A lot of us really would benefit by trying to find someone near us who is also TB, or AB.

Like, I mean --

I almost made a post asking for people near DC, but then I thought -- Well, shit, non-DC-area people don't wanna hear that shit, nor do I wanna open a Pandora's Box of a million people asking for people near their area.

Is there a good way to do this?

Am I overlooking a feature or something? >.>

Member map.

Those who want to participate will, those who do not won't.

Also, as Mes said, sometimes when folks get to know you better, you'll come to find that you live near people.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
actually there might be away to do this... Make the feature be only availible to those who sybmit a picture of them selves, or do it in a way like that.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
actually there might be away to do this... Make the feature be only availible to those who sybmit a picture of them selves, or do it in a way like that.

Well there already is a "User Verified" thing in everyone's profile. If you're verified, then you sent a certain picture of yourself, or you had a webcam with a specific mod. The only problem with that is that it doesn't guarantee that the person who does this is still safe, it just tries to prove that they aren't some liar about their age

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
  2. Private
I'm not totally familiar with these kinds of forums, so I'm not sure what a friend finder feature really is, but I'm happy keeping the lines of communication focused on here rather than trying to get people "hooking up" with each other. I guess I have to add myself to the adisc map sometime soon, though.

As far as information, sometimes there are people who aren't comfortable in sharing everything with the world. I do like to share enough, just so people know who I am, but TMI is usually never a problem (as it shouldn't be).

Status
Not open for further replies.