Why I miss Vintage blue tape Attends...even though they suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchiMuchi

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I kind of feel like AB/DL diapers don't "get it" in many ways. I am not sure it's always sufficient to just slap a cartoon strip on there, or give them a cute name.

I came across a couple vintage attends (with blue tapes) and there are so many reasons why I miss these, and it's definitely not their performance. In fact, compared to modern absorbency, they're crap.

First and foremost, I feel like there simply isn't an AB/DL diaper that really puts its materials first, such as the plastic. The plastic outer cover is your outer tactile interface, and old diapers from the 70s-90s were very glossy and very smooth, like the old Attends. I haven't come across a single modern diaper that has truly glossy, smooth plastic. The old 70s-80s Pampers, though somewhat textured, were also very glossy. I have some and looked at these as well.

Also, the crotch on old Attends were really wide, and they fit so nicely with the 6 tapes; even though 6 tapes is nothing like a baby diaper, the fit you get with it emulates the feel of the fit of a baby diaper really well. The waistband was also a VERY stretchy waistband. You could practically extract the wide elastic out of it and it was like a strong rubber band that actually worked.

I do really love Dry 24/7 and I feel they have the best product, but has anyone else made a really good, glossy diaper that fits nicely?

Also, are any companies experimenting with AB/DL Flatfold designs that incorporate SAP into thick padding to make them perform better? I've tried adult flatfolds, and whereas I like the look and feel, it's like they scaled up the dimensions in all ways except the thickness. If they scaled the thickness proportionately, they'd actually probably feel good to wear.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. Thanks!

ArchtopK

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I agree that Attends has always had the best waistband design, even now that is still true.
as for the plastic, again, a lot of engineering when into the marriage between the plastic and the tape adhesive so you could open and close the attachment many times. That incidentally, is what gave birth to the "taping panel". I think it is less expensive because with a stiff taping panel, you don't need to engineer the tape adhesive, just make it real strong.
I dislike taping panels because they make the waist too stiff. The "second chance" white on blue tapes are the best compromise to me. I would love to see an adult sized version of the Pampers ca 1985.

DLChad34

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Other
What I miss about the old Attends is the light blue 6 tape tabs and 3 line yellow wetness indicater that turned blue or a very light green depending on if I was a little dehydrated otherwise 90 % of the time it would turn a light blue they also held up better than the light green depends with 6 tape tabs. The plastic outer shell of Attends was much smoother and softer then the depends same with the absorption layers inside of the attends of the 80's and 90's

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

KenworthW900b

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I always liked wearing the attends 10 with the micropore liner, they were decent quality, easy to find and comfortable. The only time I ever had trouble with them leaking was when they were full and I didnt realize it because they always felt dry. If they still made them I would still use them but evidently not many folks cared for them because i havent seen them for sale in 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.