Why did the shutdown end?

DocBrown

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent
My take is that the heroes of the story are the TSA agents who started calling in "sick and tired of working without pay". You see, the GOP didn't give a rat's a** about the TSA agents or any of the other irrelevant people who were suffering, but when jet-setting to Aruba was becoming harder because of those "selfish" TSA agents, well, the shutdown had to end.

willnotwill

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
The TSA had little to do with it. The attrition there just meant longer lines. The issue started to come to a head when the NE Air Traffic Control system was in danger of collapsing given a combination of sick-out controllers and the fact that the controllers were already doing double duty with some of the "non-essential" workers who were out.

Near

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
It was always going to end the second disruption to air traffic was imminent. Which is exactly what happened. Not a coincidence a deal was struck the day there was a ground stop at LaGuardia.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
In addition to all of the above, public sentiment was clearly on ending the shutdown. It was not good for the Republican party to continue. Anyone who works and relies on a paycheck to pay the bills and survive will Identify strongly with the federal workers who suddenly were not receiving paychecks, even though many of them were told to work anyway. Working for free goes against everything we know and flies in the face of capitalism.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I honestly thought maybe a bell rang in his tiny head something need be done after federal workers was setting up gofund me pages

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy
I honestly thought maybe a bell rang in his tiny head something need be done after federal workers was setting up gofund me pages
You wish! That guy's got a head full of old waxy earplugs. No room for a bell, and no chance of hearing one anyway.

DocBrown

Est. Contributor
Role
The TSA had little to do with it. The attrition there just meant longer lines. The issue started to come to a head when the NE Air Traffic Control system was in danger of collapsing given a combination of sick-out controllers and the fact that the controllers were already doing double duty with some of the "non-essential" workers who were out.
You're even righter than you said, perhaps. Long lines don't affect private jets. But nobody flies without controllers.

willnotwill

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
It doesn't much affect PreCheck or First Class passengers either, ... but it's not just the passengers but the airline revenue (and their purchasing of congressmen) that was at risk.

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little
My take is that the heroes of the story are the TSA agents who started calling in "sick and tired of working without pay". You see, the GOP didn't give a rat's a** about the TSA agents or any of the other irrelevant people who were suffering, but when jet-setting to Aruba was becoming harder because of those "selfish" TSA agents, well, the shutdown had to end.
You say that the GOP didn't care About the government employees not getting pay yet it was the GOP that was introducing emergency Bills into Congress during the shutdown to authorize emergency pay for all the government employees and it was the democrats who kept filibustering them.

DocBrown

Est. Contributor
Role
You say that the GOP didn't care About the government employees not getting pay yet it was the GOP that was introducing emergency Bills into Congress during the shutdown to authorize emergency pay for all the government employees and it was the democrats who kept filibustering them.
That doesn't pass the sniff test. You are saying the GOP wanted to end the shutdown in opposition to Drumpf and the Democrats filibustered to continue the shutdown?

Please, remember that Democrats control the house so there is no need to filibuster.

And whatever proposal you're referring to certainly would have been, "build the wall and end the shutdown".

Seriously, your argument is that D is the bad guy in:

G: build a wall
D: no. There are better ways. Let's do what the experts say.
G: build a wall or I will take hostages
D: no. Terroristic threats are wrong
G takes hostages
G: build a wall and I will release the hostages
D: we don't reward terrorism, especially since you'll just do it again and again. Release the hostages. Period. Like I said, let's do what the experts say.
G eventually releases the hostages and shreds the Constitution

So, a link so I can see if I got it right. Thanks.

Last edited:

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
If trump, mitch card about the amercian public they would not have a shutdown for 34 days. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence would know this is a losing battle and know it is power abuse.

They did it anyway. GoP and trump does not care about the American people AT ALL! all they are trying to do is trying to make the democratic party look bad if they can't get their way because they know 2020 is a losing battle.

Your claim is pretty much releasing a bull in a china shop then pass regulations on people having bulls. Hey you cared about the china shop because you want to pass regulations, lets forget you released the bull in the first place.

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role
That doesn't pass the sniff test. You are saying the GOP wanted to end the shutdown in opposition to Drumpf and the Democrats filibustered to continue the shutdown?

Please, remember that Democrats control the house so there is no need to filibuster.

And whatever proposal you're referring to certainly would have been, "build the wall and end the shutdown".

Seriously, your argument is that D is the bad guy in:

G: build a wall
D: no. There are better ways. Let's do what the experts say.
G: build a wall or I will take hostages
D: no. Terroristic threats are wrong
G takes hostages
G: build a wall and I will release the hostages
D: we don't reward terrorism, especially since you'll just do it again and again. Release the hostages. Period. Like I said, let's do what the experts say.
G eventually releases the hostages and shreds the Constitution

So, a link so I can see if I got it right. Thanks.
Unfortunately your memory does not pass the fact test. I never said they voted to reopen but just to pay furloughed workers which Democrats said no and shut the bil down in the house.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
Unfortunately your memory does not pass the fact test. I never said they voted to reopen but just to pay furloughed workers which Democrats said no and shut the bil down in the house.

It does not explain why though, and I could not find anything on this. The best I could get is that they kept rejecting the other's bills and the thing is, hints an issue in the title.

House rejects gop measure to pay workers BUT NOT OPEN THE GOVERNMENT.

very likely there was something wrong with it trying to use "pay workers" as a bribery to get it passed. You know what? If it was not extremely biased, why wasn't this done in the first 2 years? Because the people puppeteering trump wants to blame the democrats on something knowing they would likely lose the midterm? I wonder.

Last edited:

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role
It does not explain why though, and I could not find anything on this. The best I could get is that they kept rejecting the other's bills and the thing is, hints an issue in the title.

House rejects gop measure to pay workers BUT NOT OPEN THE GOVERNMENT.

very likely there was something wrong with it trying to use "pay workers" as a bribery to get it passed.
There was nothing In it besides pay the workers. Dems dont care about citizens as long as they remain in power. Heres two more links the second has the full 2 page transcript of the bill in PDF format.

DocBrown

Est. Contributor
Role

Thank you, but that article talks about a vote between two ways to go. The Dems wanted to pay all five million workers, whether contractors or not, and let them work. The GOP said, only give a tiny portion anything, just the ones with optics.

And the national parks, the folks who need licences and stuff to work, screw them.

Which side voted incorrectly? Remember, the GOP said no, too.

You need to fix your optics. You took the above facts and twisted them so much that you said "filibuster"

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
There was nothing In it besides pay the workers. Dems dont care about citizens as long as they remain in power. Heres two more links the second has the full 2 page transcript of the bill in PDF format.

stop blaming Democrat politicians on TRUMPS MESS! he did not need to shut down the government in the first place. The people that " do not care" is TRUMP!
Here is a quote:
Democrats' unwillingness to work with President Trump and congressional Republicans to solve the humanitarian and security crisis on our southern border."
they are using unpaid workers as leverage to nickle and dime negotiations to get their way. Your view point is so short sided. This is very, very simple. Trump had no business abusing his power to shut down the government over a nonexistent crisis/emergency. You still also did not address my main point. HOW COME this was not moved during the first 2 years????
Democrats have ZERO blame in this.

Thank you, but that article talks about a vote between two ways to go. The Dems wanted to pay all five million workers, whether contractors or not, and let them work. The GOP said, only give a tiny portion anything, just the ones with optics.

And the national parks, the folks who need licences and stuff to work, screw them.

You need to fix your optics. You took the above facts and twisted them so much that you said "filibuster"
I KNEW there was underlying issues I could not find quickly, THIS is why, gop are just trying to push their wight and power abuse. the gop was pushing partial fixes so they can still hold something hostage, simple as that. This was being done so they can slowly push to give trump the greater power he craves. I do not think so. Let us not forget about Mitch not moving forward the bipartisan bill.

Last edited:

DocBrown

Est. Contributor
Role
By the way, those contractors will never get paid. The lunch counters and other businesses that serve the workers will never get paid, and neither will their employees. The wineries, breweries, and others who had product and couldn't sell it will not recoup losses. The farmers who didn't get checks and couldn't order seed, well, I hope all the folks who were devastated by the Drumpfer tantrum recover.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
By the way, those contractors will never get paid. The lunch counters and other businesses that serve the workers will never get paid, and neither will their employees. The wineries, breweries, and others who had product and couldn't sell it will not recoup losses. The farmers who didn't get checks and couldn't order seed, well, I hope all the folks who were devastated by the Drumpfer tantrum recover.
How do people put any blame on "dems"? how? trump had no business doing that in the first place

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role

Filibuster, veto whatever I'm not a politician or a civic major. They both the same to me.