Why are most Anime based Games Mediocre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It seems like almost every single game based off of an Anime is Mediocre at best, some outright terrible.

Why is this? Do the anime Creators not care what someone does with characters from their Anime as long as they are given a big enough Paycheck or what?

I hope Jump Force is one of the better Anime Based Video Games, and one day I would love a proper Sword Art Online game (preferably a good VR game)

Most of the time, video game adaptations are simple cash-ins on a successful anime franchise, with the quality of it not mattering too much to the company compared to the time and cost of making it. A lot of series don't really translate well to video games either, other than action shounen making for decent fighting games and harem series being possible to make into visual novels to let every girl win.

Anime isn't special this way. Most show- and movie-based games suck. I think taking something from one medium to another is just hard in general, or else it's generally done for the wrong reasons ("Let's trying milking this cash-cow a different way!").

Cottontail said:
Anime isn't special this way. Most show- and movie-based games suck. I think taking something from one medium to another is just hard in general, or else it's generally done for the wrong reasons ("Let's trying milking this cash-cow a different way!").

Yeah and even Anime/Cartoon to Movie adaptations tend to be not so great (to say the least such as DragonBall Evolution; I mean they even mixed together DragonBall Z and Avatar the last Airbender by saying the Kamehameha was an Airbending technique? I mean literally WTF, dont know anything about it dont use it to make money), not to mention Games to Movies.

I think #1. More care should be taken, not just "Gimme 5M and do what you want" ; 2. They shouldn't allow these directors and companies to use an IP they know NOTHING about

I dunno ive seen nothing but really positive things about how amazing that DBZ fighting game was when it came out. I think it just takes the (right developer) to handle a franchise like that to really make a quality game

Reactions: Punku
RetroGamerGuy said:
I dunno ive seen nothing but really positive things about how amazing that DBZ fighting game was when it came out. I think it just takes the (right developer) to handle a franchise like that to really make a quality game

Yeah the DBZ games in my Opinion have been mostly good games; I even think that going back to the PS2 and 1 or 2 handheld games I have played (I think GBA, it was a simplistic kind of game where you moved, fired energy blasts, beat enemies, leveled up, and eventually beat Vegeta as the end game boss)

I especially know the last 3 have been improving (Xenoverse, then 2 and then FighterZ).

However these seem to be some of the exceptions rather than the norm.

Even Jump Force got Mediocre reviews and it's a shame as it looks really good and has a lot of Anime Heroes and Villains and has a few good ideas; but apparently the fighting part (the core part of the game) is shallow and fighting computers is too easy and predictable.

Last edited:
Lol i think the problem with Jump Force was the contrasting art styles for charecters interacting. I saw one of my favorite youtubers also show how horrid the animation is in it looking like a PS2 game

I think Jump Force is "okay" if you enjoy arena fighting games... ie Xenoverse or stuff like Pokken. But a lot of the better anime fighters do well because they keep them in the classic 2D/hand animated style. ie Street Fighter, DBFZ, etc.

I seem to remember the .hack games were pretty decent, and so were the Xenosaga games. So not all of them, but then again, maybe those aren't your cup of tea.

I loved the Xenosaga games (except 2) but i dont think they really classify as "Anime games". more like games with Anime cutscenes in them

RetroGamerGuy said:
I loved the Xenosaga games (except 2) but i dont think they really classify as "Anime games". more like games with Anime cutscenes in them
For some reason, I remember watching the anime first, before the games, but I guess I was wrong.

hum maybe they came at the same time? lol i can almost with 100% certainty say that they are probably classified as games with an anime style to them rather then being based on one. I think i saw a little bit of the anime

Okay, so just to find out which was first, apparently they had games as early as 2002, and the Anime was around for a few months in 2005

So it isn't an Anime that a game was based off of, rather games were made (with an Anime style to them) and then an Anime series was made after that; but it only lasted a few months.

yeah totally! They were supposed to be prequels to the Xenogears game on PS1 i believe which did have anime style cut-scenes as well

The best anime game is about to be released March 8th 😉.

And you leave us in suspense for an answer!? Whats wrong with you!? J/k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back