Why are Betterdry so overrated?

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
When I'm drinking beer (and I drink alot) why do better dry always leak before they get to capacity and always bulging from the front and never going to the back. Are these really a performance nappy for flooding?

Lilguy01

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
It might just be a fit issue or not putting em on the way they should be I e never tried betterdry but I have the same issue with trests I would always make them leak before it was anywhere near capacity changed up how I taped it up a lil and they’re way better

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm a experienced nappy wearer. Tried all brands inside Europe but betterdry always leak, I do put them on properly. They don't wick good. I have a case left and I don't like them.

HappyNappin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Betterdry/crinklz are unusual in that the sap is mostly up front, like a boys drynite, so the should work better for males, especially if sitting for long periods or standing/walking.
Rarely will the back ever get wet, making them far more comfortable to use in colder climates.

Reactions: tacospaghettidad

dbcl92

Crinkly Kiddo
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
As with all diapers, you have to find the brand/cut which works best for you, and for the situation. (style, fit, material, tape style, leg shape, waist size, absorbency, etc).

Betterdry/Crinklz tend to swell a bunch in the front and not wick as much to the back. Due to their SAP/Pulp content, they are great for frequent smaller wettings but not great for large floods. With lots of small wettings, they swell in a very satisfying way. They dont make me waddle as much, and so are good for outings. I personally like the Crinklz tapes, price performance, and the front SAP distribution for most situations, however, I will choose a different diaper if I'm in the mood for a serious flooding.

You can always add a booster and some PUL pants to Crinklz/Betterdry to make them handle floods better! 😅

Nowididit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've had Better Dry and Crinklz and like all high capacity diapers the front absorbs and tends to leak in the crotch while the back is completely dry. I'm not at all impressed with either diaper.

schooner

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
For a disposable diaper to be effective there needs to be a balance between cellulose padding (for wicking and absorbency) and SAP (for absorbency). In the early 90's, when SAP started appearing in adult diapers, manufacturers were going for the thinnest diaper possible and tended to over-rely on SAP to accomplish this. Once the SAP bonds with a liquid it repels additional liquid, which can lead to leaks if there isn't enough cellulose padding. I think that there is still too much reliance on SAP, but it's better than it used to be. We need more adult diapers that are designed by people who actually wear them, rather than marketing staff who are thinking more of diapers that are very discrete, but otherwise less functional. I prefer a bulky diaper with SAP and plenty of padding rather than one with less padding that results in wet pants.

Reactions: Jonnythepony

MikeDJ

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
They seem to be pretty good capacity and are a good all white diaper. I do though find the plastic thin and rather quiet on Better Drys, but some want discreet. I want a crinkly diaper. I want to know Im diapered by always hearing that crinkle as I move around. I find a crinkly similar diaper are the Dry 24 7s. Those give me that tell tale crinkle.

ArgentBuffalo

Thriving in Huggies
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Other
bobbilly said:
When I'm drinking beer (and I drink alot) why do better dry always leak before they get to capacity and always bulging from the front and never going to the back. Are these really a performance nappy for flooding?

Define what you mean by capacity for me. Do you expect the thing to hold 6+ big full bladders worth of wettings? Do you expect to get every square inch of the padding soaked through? Because the practical absorbency of most diapers is a lot less than advertised (which is to say, ISO). The reality is that if you push any diaper hard enough, it will fail on you.

I am a holder/flooder exclusively no matter what diaper I'm in. As an anecdote, I can drink water like crazy and have a single Crinklz take the challenge and hold up over 5-6 hours, getting uncomfortably wet and on the verge of leaky by the end of that time. Maybe 5 full wettings max. It usually sucks to keep that diaper on and I can't wait to get it off.

Under more day-to-day circumstances, with more concentrated pee, I consider a Crinklz practically needing a change at about the 1-1.5 liter mark. The front and back of the diaper are maybe a bit wet but not soaked at that point. Usually I don't expect those areas to be saturated unless it's an overnight or nap diaper that I'm changing out of.

Also, what defines a diaper as being a "performance nappy for flooding"? You say it like it's a established distinction for certain brands. IMO if the diaper is good at the definition of its job, it's good at handling whatever a wearer can throw at it, flood or not.

My suggestion is to do one of two things. 1) Slap at least one booster in your Betterdrys to get them to the level of absorbency you need for you. They're intentionally built for it, and the combo will still probably come out cheaper per unit than an ISO 7000+ ml alternative. 2) Don't overstress your diapers. More frequent changes = less leaks = more comfort.

blob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
bobbilly said:
I'm a experienced nappy wearer. Tried all brands inside Europe but betterdry always leak, I do put them on properly. They don't wick good. I have a case left and I don't like them.

I'm an experienced nappy wearer who's tried all the brands in Europe include Abena X-PLUS, Molicare, Tena etc when they were at their peak in the mid 00's. Betterdry are my go to these days, I wear them out drinking all the time and never leak. As has been said different brands work better for different people, all our bodies are different.

Whilst Betterdry aren't as absorbent as the top of the range products from ABU, Rearz, Northshore etc they're significantly cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonnythepony

Monkeypuzzler

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Is the back never getting wet a thing with nearly all nappies? The only nappy I’ve used which all padding gets wet before leaking is the Molicare slip maxi and what it replaced, the super plus.

TexasDiaperLover

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I love Better Dry. I've worn them at night for years. The one I have on now is soaking wet, and no leaks.

The best I've found. My. 02 cents.

Reactions: tseaborn

northdl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Ive found myself having the same issue with Betterdry, especially when sitting for long periods in situations like driving. The front of the diaper ends up ballooned to capacity while the crotch and back padding end up barely damp. I’ve had this happen with other high capacity diapers if my “stuff” isn’t situated properly, but I can’t seem to get around it with better drys. I get higher practical capacity out of many theoretically less capable diapers (tena, molicare, thinner an/dl diapers) because they wick better.

Reactions: bobbilly

ARBO

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I’ve tried a vast range of suppliers over the years. Settled on Betterdry with a booster for nights. That combination holds typically between 1.5 to 2.0 litres without leakage. I flood on the first pee only. Northshore, I keep trying but they leak too often.

Rita

Padded Rita
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I haven't heard of or seen any diaper that can handle a full blown let go flooding !
Most are made of Lite to Milder wetting I do believe ...

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm mistaken, Betterdry are brilliant with a booster. I'm using Coldex boosters that I purchased from Allanda incontinence online. I have drank 7 cans if beer (440ml) and they are stilling going strong.

Reactions: tseaborn

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
bobbilly said:
I'm mistaken, Betterdry are brilliant with a booster. I'm using Coldex boosters that I purchased from Allanda incontinence online. I have drank 7 cans if beer (440ml) and they are stilling going strong.
I always boost my better dry

neophyte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
My preferences for a landing pad, I am not a fan of diapers without one.

wearforsafety

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
For me they are not overrated. Excellent diaper. Maybe you need to fwork and fixture and maybe to watch how much you wet in one go.

Tundra1975

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
The only issue I have with the Betterdry diapers is the standing leak guards always separated from the diaper and the diaper could no longer contain my pooping accidents because of the leak guard failures.