Why are baby diapers becoming larger in size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I think if they are, it's because most kids end up outgrowing the diapers before they are potty training age. Some kids, not because they are obese or anything, are just of a larger size. Sometimes they are taller, and the diapers don't fit. I think they are starting to realize that there also kids with special needs who can't fit into adult diapers. Kids who have more severe disabilities such as CP or something too. I can see why they are trying to listen and adapt to that as much as possible to aide parents.

Like, what I'm saying is that if there is a four year old with severe Cerebral Palsy who is totally incontinent, odds are that child won't be able to fit an adult diaper or whatever. The only thing that they can fit into is a set of goodnites or pull-ups, which we know don't hold a lot. Most diapers out there that are designed for special needs are usually geared towards teenagers or adults. I could also be very wrong about this though too. I just haven't seen or heard of any special diaper that works for a kid with a severe disability and can't use the bathroom. They are too small for baby diapers, yet they are too big for adult diapers.

I do think that Pampers and Huggies needs to understand that some older kids have special needs. If not them, then maybe some other retailer of diapers needs to see this as a need since disabilities are growing and getting diagnosed as I write this now. It's also not about the potty training age being a lot later. As others have said here, kids usually end up potty training when they are ready. I know parents of autistic children who still have them in diapers because of how challenging and difficult it is to train them.

See, when you have a child who is nonverbal, you can't just expect them to say "I have to go potty". They don't have the verbal skills for it. This becomes a huge issue with potty training for any delayed child. I'm not saying every child who is late at this is delayed or anything, but I do know it's difficult for them too.

There are youth diapers. They are basically small adult diapers and there are diapers that are smaller than that too.

- - - Updated - - -

I used cloth for my son and he still trained at 3. He hated being wet and messy but yet he wouldn't go in the potty. Kids are weird. They may show signs of being ready but that doesn't always mean they are ready. My son pooped his underwear last night because he was playing a game and he didn't want to stop just to go poo so he went in his underwear and didn't like it and took them off and came to me and I was not happy with him so I took his underwear away and he has to earn them back now. He loves his underwear so he gets upset if I take them away. I don't put him back in diapers, I make him go naked under his pants. He hates being messy but yet he pooped in them because he was too lazy to get up and move to the toilet and continue his game.

dprlover90

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
There are few reasons. Mostly because pediatricians these days say that toilet training shouldn't be rushed. Using diapers at age of 5 is not considered as incontinence. That was not the case back in 80's and early 90's.

Also, I think Pampers somewhere in 90's realized that if they start making bigger diapers, the kids stay diapered for longer time and parents not sweating of running out of sizes, making profit of that.

I would still like to remind you that there was rather big diapers from pampers in 90's as well. I think they were called Baby Dry Plus Extra Large. Here's a video of a funny german guy showing them off, they look very big to me!
nostalgie pampers baby dry plus 16 bis 30 kg extra large getestet testbericht - YouTube

Last edited:

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Those diapers look huge. I wonder if they would have fit me then as a 11 year old.

Vic92

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Those diapers look huge. I wonder if they would have fit me then as a 11 year old.

Likely, thought depending on your size then, it may not have been a snug fit. 30kg converts to 66lbs, which according to most growth charts is about the size of an average 9-year-old, with the bottom 5 percentile hitting the mark right before age 12.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I was over 5 feet by age 11. 5 '1' I was and I remember the largest Pampers size nearly fit me when I was 10 and I could only get one side done but not the other. I'm in the USA. I have always been tall for my age so I am not sure how much I weighed as a six year old or as a seven year old but at age 9 I weighed 90 lbs and stayed at that weight for two more years.

dprlover90

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent

I was 8 back then, too bad I was toilet trained quite early and never experienced those nice looking pampers :(

Bartolome

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Kids using technology is no big deal. My two year old nephew can navigate around touch based tech relatively easy. In comparison, at his age, I was using my parents' IBM desktop back in the day for relatively simple games and whatnot, such as what he does now. It's not necessarily a 'blame' of the parents, but you'd have to take care of a kid to know that.

Regardless, some reasoning comes from being either potty trained later, as well as the higher birth weights and sizes of babies due to advances in medicine and health. They're now healthier, and grow much bigger than before.

That's because it takes less learning and conccentration to use an ipad than a toilet. One involves instant gratification, which is what young children must learn to hold off through their socialization process.

Unfortunately appropriate socialization has been interrupted by technology and we are becoming developmentally arrested as a society of inexperienced parents struggles to even motivate their kids to learn independence.

It would be better if we disallowed the use of iPads and the like by very young children. They get in the way of kids learning age appropriate skills, especially social skills when the kids stumble on social networking.

Call me old fashioned. I don't care. I'm right.

- - - Updated - - -

Kids using technology is no big deal. My two year old nephew can navigate around touch based tech relatively easy. In comparison, at his age, I was using my parents' IBM desktop back in the day for relatively simple games and whatnot, such as what he does now. It's not necessarily a 'blame' of the parents, but you'd have to take care of a kid to know that.

Regardless, some reasoning comes from being either potty trained later, as well as the higher birth weights and sizes of babies due to advances in medicine and health. They're now healthier, and grow much bigger than before.

That's because it takes less learning and conccentration to use an ipad than a toilet. One involves instant gratification, which is what young children must learn to hold off through their socialization process.

Unfortunately appropriate socialization has been interrupted by technology and we are becoming developmentally arrested as a society of inexperienced parents struggles to even motivate their kids to learn independence.

It would be better if we disallowed the use of iPads and the like by very young children. They get in the way of kids learning age appropriate skills, especially social skills when the kids stumble on social networking.

- - - Updated - - -

Sulqy117

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Bigger kids not getting potty trained (lucky!!). Im sure diaper companies designed this demand one way or another, as a species we like solving problems with money.

KuroCat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Bigger kids not getting potty trained (lucky!!). Im sure diaper companies designed this demand one way or another, as a species we like solving problems with money.

Nothing is lucky about not getting potty trained.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Not getting toilet trained as a child is a big set up for being bullied and teased throughout school so why do that to your child if they have a choice? It's bad enough for IC children to face it in school when they are able bodied but if the kid has control, they have the luxury to be out of them and not get teased and bullied for it so there is no reason for them to stay in diapers.

I think it's easier to wear diapers as an adult than it is as a child because people are more mature and leave you alone even of they do discover you wear them. They have better things to worry about than tease you over a diaper. Plus we have laws about harassment.

Aby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
its a disposable product marketed at parents that are often tired and over worked, children got potty trained earlier when people had to wash diapers

BrianNukketes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I personally think they are becoming shorter because old 90s baby diapers were more bigger than actual cloth baby diapers style :/

pacifiermichigan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
i would love to fit in a pampers or a huggies again. i can dream but they will never be big enough for my 36" waist

blackandgold12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I think that children's diapers are getting bigger due to social media and the ability of the manufacturers to see what the consumer thinks about their product. Although they may not react to suggestions or complaints very quickly, I would bet that they are listening.

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Well,

I know back when I was young...the diapers were much bigger than current ones...say late 70's and 80's

Being in diapers for my entire life...I know I wore pampers at nite into middle school...without any issues...

After/durring middle school I switched to pharmacy diapers...as the pampers we're not big enough anymore...

I was a big kid too...always played defense line, usually left guard...graduated high school at just shy of 300#

Now I'm 230# and shrunk from 6'1" to 5-10"

I don't wear baby diapers, but my ex. Has a kid and when he was loving here we would have tons of kids over...being I have a large house, movie theater with a stocked candy counter and all the game systems...and usually the younger kids in a family come with...so, we always had stock of diapers here...even after her son was out of them...and they seem much smaller than what I remember from 30 years ago...

Bartolome

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
A short story about how things work in modern society: Teenagers and young adults have kids before they're ready. They have multiple kids in succession and receive inadequate parental support from the father. Many of them work multiple jobs just to feed their families. Toilet training is time intensive and requires a lot of commitment from both parent and child, so it gets put off.

I've seen this affect entire communities to the point that older kids in the communities think it's normal for 3 and 4 year olds (or even older kids) to wear diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.