why are adult diapers sooo expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kitty0230

i was buying in NYC on monday and i was wondering, why is a pack of depends $14.99, is that just ny, or is that everywhere, cuase i think its rediculous, i mean its some gel and plastic, and maybe some tape, i dont know why its 15 bucks, and the 10.99 store brand i bought was lousy, the underjams are better than them, i eventually ended up ditching the diapers in a garbage can cause they were so bad they werent worth getting caught with, anyone else wonder why a decent diaper is so expensive, and why they cant make one for 10.99 that works

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Dry 24/7 is cheap. You can get a case of 72 for $75 and free shipping. Plus they're awesome diapers.

K

kitty0230

thank you, however, my mom opens every box that arrives with my name on it, and i don't have 75 bucks, or a place to hide 75 diapers, also, i wanted to know the REASON the diapers are so expensive, but thanks for your insight

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Ouch. Well, it's just a matter of supply and demand. They'll charge whatever price they can get people to pay. How many is in the pack of Depends? 18 or 20 or so? $15 is still a pretty cheap price.. that's less than $1/diaper.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Ouch. Well, it's just a matter of supply and demand. They'll charge whatever price they can get people to pay. How many is in the pack of Depends? 18 or 20 or so? $15 is still a pretty cheap price.. that's less than $1/diaper.

Just so. They're not really marketing to the demographic that finds a price of under $1 each to be shocking. It's 20 to the package for small/medium, and anywhere from $15 to $18 seems pretty reasonable to me.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It has to be the marketing. Where I am, a bag of depends costs $16.99, so you are getting a deal for $14.99, while generic brands are usually in the $11-12 range, but generics are not advertised, except maybe in the store's circular.

Case in point here, depends run about a dollar a diaper, but so do the Dry 24/7 brand, and they include shipping. However, I think most people here who have tried both will attest to the fact that the Dry 24/7's have significantly more absorbent material and are far superior to depends, however the price per diaper is only a difference of a matter of pennies, and that includes the fact that the Dry's price include shipping costs to your door. Depend's do advertise quite a bit, watch TV Land for a while and you're bound to see a depend ad. Someone has to pay for those advertisments and it's paid for in product markup.

EvaIlyxtra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
  5. Private
i was buying in NYC on monday and i was wondering, why is a pack of depends $14.99, is that just ny, or is that everywhere, cuase i think its rediculous, i mean its some gel and plastic, and maybe some tape, i dont know why its 15 bucks, and the 10.99 store brand i bought was lousy, the underjams are better than them, i eventually ended up ditching the diapers in a garbage can cause they were so bad they werent worth getting caught with, anyone else wonder why a decent diaper is so expensive, and why they cant make one for 10.99 that works

Just like Young Jeezy says: it's a recession. But it is also becuase that the brands that we are able to fit into are intended for people with bedwetting problems and partial incontinence. Since changing won't be prevalent they can put a dozen in a bag and jack the price up. That's my guess.

Pawlf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
I do believe it is a federal offense to open mail that is not addressed to you. It could be different when it involves a minor though, I am not entirely sure.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
My parents opened my mail for years until I was over 18. I don't think it's that uncommon at all. catty probably doesn't have a choice in the matter.

A

annierighthurr

Baby diapers are expensive too. Look at brands like pampers and huggies. it is not a phenomenon that only affects adult diapers.

Just think about it that way. Retailers/corporations can and will mark up the price on just about anything they know they will profit from because people HAVE to buy them and they also know people will pay more for brandname stuff.

Simple concept really.

Dakota13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The average price for a Pack of depends is about 14 dollars, the generics are right around 10.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Diapers fall under a category caled "demand inelastic," meaning, as Hypnotized said, that people will have to buy them, just like bread, milk, and gasoline. The only dmenad that matters is the number of people needing diapers, a number that is very steady over time.

The retail price of diapers is not determined by supply and demand; supply and demand determines the price of commodities, ie oil, gold, lumber. In theory, this means that changes in the price of commodities that are used to produce diapers will result in changes in the price of diapers. However, finished products are rarely so responsive to changes in commodity prices. Instead, companies "mark-up" a product, selling it for a certain percentage above the cost of manufacturing and distributing the product. Electronics, for instance, sell at a standard one hundred percent, or double, the actual cost of the product.

So how do companies set the retail price? They calculate the expected value of the finished product (the average manufacturing and distributing price of their product), and then gather data correlated, and theoretically related to cause as well, with what a family is willing to pay. This is just like a linear regession equation, but is slightly more complicated. It is called maximum likelihood estimation. Just like what it sounds like, this is a statistical technique used to estimate, in this case, the maximum price that a customer will pay for diapers. What helps companies predict that price? Income of the targeted market, disposable income, number of children, how many diapers they bought last year, how many they think a child should/would go through in a day, etc. There could be one hundred variables and five thousand observations for each one, all entering a single equation by way of linear algebra. The goal of such research is to find out what the maximum price someone would pay for diapers is, then the companies must set their price somewhere near that number. Why are pampers more expensive than generic? Because of marketing. Not because marketing adds cost to the product, but because the people at Proctor and Gamble, who make pampers, know that with a slightly better product and much better marketing (targeted product development, advertising) will induce people pay the few extra dollars. This maximum price is translated into a basic mark-up percentage.

Why then, when the price of making a diaper flucuates with the economy and the commodities markets, do diaper prices not swing with them? Because people don't care about recessions (which are not the cause of increased diaper prices; the U.S. is experiencing low inflation at the moment) or rising commodity prices. The maximum price they said they pay in that maximum likelihood equation is very steady. Companies swallow the decreased profit margin for a time. A firm will stay in business so long as they cover their costs; any profit, whether fifty percent from a fifty percent mark-up or a forty percent from an increased manufacturing cost and a steady retail price, it's all profit. Only when the base price of a product increases permanently or when adjusting for inflation will companies raise the retail price in accordance with a newly calculated maximum price. Typically, given the expense of market research, companies won't even bother recalculating the maximum retail price until their costs rise significantly or fewer of their products are being sold.

What does all this mean? Companies sell their product for as much as they can convince you to pay for it. They'll try harder to convince you when their own prices rise permanently, but otherwise, what you pay stays steady. It sucks to be on the bottom end of the capitalist food chain, but there it is. So why are diapers so expensive? Because companies know you will pay it. Even the fact that, for most people, a diaper is a necessity is a factor calculated into the price, and it raises that price.

Last edited:

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I hate the high cost of diapers too. I am a cheapskate and want everything comodity item i buy to be $10 or below. Wish trhey could just out sorce the making of Diapers to some third world nation, maybe they will be like $4 for 20 diapers, that'd be the dream

fuzzywasy

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
First to let you know Depends are considered the worst adult diaper compared to all others including the no name store brands. You will find one or two people that disagree.
If you are looking for a decent adult diaper go to a medical supply store, they generally have an indicator of what level of "moisture" it will absorb and the higher the number the lower the possibility of leaks. If there is nothing that looks interesting on the shelf ask if they can special order "they will" and you start a rapport with the people there you will be surprised at how many samples they will order for you, to try to get you into the right diaper. Once you have established what works for you they will keep that diaper on hand, also if you do want to order diapers online you can always purchase a post office box and you would be the only one who can get that mail.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
First to let you know Depends are considered the worst adult diaper compared to all others including the no name store brands. You will find one or two people that disagree.

Depends are way better then the Walgreens diapers when I tried both of them. Hell the Walgreens ones felt like they were cutting into my legs from the leg cuffs themselves plus they only held about 45-50% of what depends could.

But really the more expensive diapers are then the more likely they will be better. I always just plan to order online for now, I am done with buying from stores since the lack of quality isn't worth it at all.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
15 or 16 dollars is cheap for depends. They're 21.99 here. And it's 19.99 for the cheapo's.

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
  2. Private
First, the plastic Depends are made out of is a petroleum-based product, so yeah, the price of that fluctuates "a little".

Second, although they use advertising for Depends, the advertising campaign does not target those people getting ready to grow out of Huggies (another product their parent company makes...). In this real world, Depends are marketed as medical supplies to people with incontinence issues...they never use the word "diaper" in their ads. This is the real world, after all.

Last, as Depends are marketed as medical supplies and not diapers, they are expensive, just like all other medical-related stuff; it costs more to make diapers thicker, which is why better diapers cost even more than that. On the other hand, for someone who spends all their time in bed, maybe that's all they need.

K

kitty0230

thanks for the info, now i get it, they make us pay more because we have no other choice, and on a side note, are tenas better than depends

Dark Bringer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I think it's the taboo aspect. Things tend to be more expensive when you have less advertising and open comparisons and less picky customers. Many of the Attends and other adult brands have no user reviews on amazon. Yet pampers and huggies have hundreds. Word of mouth is one way better products are developed but people keep fairly quiet about adult diapers are kept quiet. People will go to an eyeglass store and say these specs aren't comfortable. Not many people will do that with adult diapers. So people don't shop around a lot and don't give a lot of customer feedback. It's like funerals, one reason they're so expensive is because people don't like to advertise them and people don't like to compare prices.
Without the ab/dl scene, you would have probably very little information about adult diapers online.

Status
Not open for further replies.