Which sports are you into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
In terms of watching, I follow Football (obsessively), NFL (which I really like, and usually go to watch when it's at Wembley) and casually follow Cricket, Basketball and Rugby League (which, for the uninitiated, is like Rugby Union but with a better points system and it's a traditionally working-class sport).

As for playing sport, my disability hampers me from anything too physically gruelling or which demands serious strength, but I've always swam a lot, and I enjoy cycling too. :)

So, fellow ADISCers - which sports do you like, and why? And if you're not into sport at all - do you understand the appeal, or do you feel utterly perplexed at why anyone would choose to tire themselves out playing football, or follow a sports team religiously?

Forgot to name actual teams I follow: Football - Manchester United. NFL - Minnesota Vikings.

Last edited:

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
In terms of watching I follow the University of Oregon "Ducks" football, and Oregon State University Baseball team.

As for participating the want is SCUBA diving and fishing, but I really get time to do either.

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
I'm more settled into soccer as I am a huge soccer fan, not a player. For teams I mostly cheer for FC BARCELONA because I'm not much of a fan for the American teams.

When FIFA World Cups host, I cheer for USA & Argentina and I hope that they win. IF USA goes out, then I cheer for Lionel Messi and his Argentina team. If they "Both" go out, then I end up turning the TV off and checking the highlights later to see who won.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
I've always been more a fan of school sports, and lately whatever my own kids are doing. Pro sports have always mystified me. I figure that if I'm going to root for a greedy corporation, I'll root for one that *pays me* and not the other way around. I can get spirited about paychecks and stock. :)

reddawn2988

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
Pretty big fan of ice hockey, specifically the NHL and even more specifically the Detroit Red Wings. I also like watching football and baseball, especially the Detroit Lions and Tigers. Basically a fan of all teams Detroit. Hate basketball though and not a huge fan of soccer though I do enjoy playing it from time to time. When it comes to sports I do play, I try to play pick-up hockey when I can and have played intramural hockey with a local league before. Love being out on the ice.

disneygeek

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Baseball, baseball and more baseball. I grew up only watching it, and it's pretty much the only sport I care about. I couldn't care less about football.

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Baseball, baseball and more baseball. I grew up only watching it, and it's pretty much the only sport I care about. I couldn't care less about football.

I always think going to a baseball game looks fun, but I don't find it exciting to watch on TV. Probably like cricket is. That can be a bit boring and repetitive to watch at home, but going to a game is a fun day out - good atmosphere, relaxing, beers in the sunshine, and the sport itself is much more engaging up-close.

M

Maxx

Rugby League

Union rules, league is for <small cats>.
[Editor's note: Above is the obligatory response for a union fan when someone says they like league. No personal offense intended]

7's appeals to my endurance athlete side. Short games, but all in the heartrate redzone. No place to hide with so few players. If you eff up or run out of gas, its all out there for the world to see. I'm excited that it's going to get a shot in the Olympics.

Chicago Blackhawks

I would like to be a Chicago Bears fan, but they're making awfully hard lately.

Racing of any kind: NASCAR, F1, ALMS, bicycle, foot...

Doing: Swim, bike, run. Back in the day, wrestling & Judo

Last edited by a moderator:

disneygeek

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I always think going to a baseball game looks fun, but I don't find it exciting to watch on TV. Probably like cricket is. That can be a bit boring and repetitive to watch at home, but going to a game is a fun day out - good atmosphere, relaxing, beers in the sunshine, and the sport itself is much more engaging up-close.
I may be biased, but baseball is to me such a strategic and mental game. I hear a lot of the time that it's "boring," but I can't get enough. I love the idea that there is no clock and a team can never simply "run out of time". I don't have much knowledge of cricket but I believe baseball did originate from it in some sort of way.

Last edited:

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
In retirement I'm into NASCAR and Texas Rangers baseball. I watch a little NFL football. I could careless about the NBA.
Don't care about any college sports except for the CWS in baseball. When I was younger I liked fishing quite well.

tiny

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I have deduced (although I have no proof) that when I was born, as part of a cult religious ceremony, I had an operation in which the Sport Appreciation Ganglia were removed from my brain. At least... that's the best explanation I've come up with so far... :chin:

I have no problems at all with anyone who enjoys watching sport (so long as they don't expect me to join them!). I just have absolutely no understanding as to why it's in any way interesting to watch. (Sorry -- I know I'm in the minority here; I'm just completely bewildered by the whole thing!) :smile: Two dozen men in a field kicking a synthetic inflatable pig's bladder in cow skin around? Yeah... sounds like fun. Ohhh... you want to watch two dozen men in a field kicking a synthetic inflatable pig's bladder? Even better. :giggles:

If I liked watching football, the most interesting kind of thing to happen would be a surprising demonstration of great skill: an amazingly impressive tackle, or a goal scored from the other side of the pitch in a gale-force side wind. But people watching football tend to only to be happy if the team they've arbitrarily chosen to support benefits from such play! I don't understand why people care who wins. Why do people pick teams? And why do grown men with pot bellies go down the pub wearing insanely overpriced fancy-dress football jerseys plastered with advertising?! (Oh crumbs, I've started ranting and raving again! Nurse! My medication!) :chillpill: *gulp*

I love this sketch about football fanatics:
[video=youtube;xN1WN0YMWZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU[/video]

And football is nothing compared to the experience that my friend claimed to have enjoyed! He flew all the way to Spain to watch some motor racing live. He sat on a hard seat in 45 degree heat with earplugs in, unable to hear or speak to his friends, only able to see the cars for about a second as they whizzed past the particular section of track he could see... for eight hours. And then he flew home. I don't get it!!!

I guess I'm not competitive in sports (although I am in other ways), but I used to enjoy swimming a lot as a kid. I swam six days a week for years before my teens. Now, though, the only "healthy" activity I enjoy is cycling. A few years ago I got myself a half-decent mountain bike and it's been great for exploring the countryside and getting about (since I don't drive any more). I think nothing of riding 25 miles or so now. It's so peaceful and liberating, and it gives you time to think and unwind. And come on, if you're going to exercise, why not do it sitting down?! :biggrin:

SnowBlitz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
Hockey. When I was younger and played Rugby, I followed the World Rugby League.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Currently I'm into watching college football and baseball.

When I graduated college, I got into 1/4 drag racing, and raced two cars at the track. A few years ago I played men's league softball. Now I'm content to ride my bike on our bike trail.

Dan09

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I'm a big fan of collegiate sports. Primarily football, basketball, baseball, and swimming--but frankly I'm always willing to learn more about a new sport, and quickly get caught up in watching it when I can. I enjoy watching hockey and soccer, but admittedly don't know much about either.

I'm somewhat of a NFL fan, but frankly I don't care for the NBA at all. College sports is more where it's at for me.

Ive personally played in all sorts of sports, with the longest a stints in swimming, baseball, track, cross country, and lacrosse.

L

littlelodgewrecker

i am a very big fan of the sort of sports that bring folks together.... you know, like in parking-lots for cook-outs and at sports bars where they have big-screen HD tv's. and especially the games where people come from miles around and pay $50, $60 & even $70 smackers for parking.

i live on the far-western side of the Puget Sound here in Washington State and we have a really great Basketball team called the SeaGulls....
no, wait.... Karen says that's not right....
Oh... their a Soccer team... Ok.
no... She is still shaking Her head.
Ok, i got it now.... apparently the soccer team call themselves the seahawks.
Oh wait, Karen's saying something about them bashing each-other and throwing the ball around way more than kicking it.
Football.... something called football. that's what She says those sea hawk fellows do.

anyway, as i was saying i really like it and i'll tell you why.
it seem that every time they play a game of whatever it is that they play, everyone within a hundred miles of Seattle is either at said game or sitting in front of some TV somewhere watching it. so that means on game-days stores that are normally crowded such as Costco are nearly empty and a pleasure to spend several hours in just leisurely browsing.... the same goes for the Kitsap Mall in Silver Dale.

so maybe you can see why i have such an appreciation of spectator sports... (grin)

now where it comes to actual sports that i will always jump too, well there is really only one at this point. sure i have done a lot of bicycle riding and rowing.... but the sport of Sailing has always be my hearts truest desire and greatest love.

whereas i will watch sailing on HDTV for the really great HD and to learn new tactics... and of course seeing how the newer boats handle heavy water and stiff winds off-shore.
sailing for me is not for competition with other humans so much as it is a personal competition with wind, water and sea-state.
and at other times sailing is just peaceful cohabitation with that same wind, water and sea....

in effect, i think sailing is getting to know ones self in a very deep and satisfyingly personal way

M

Maxx

I have no problems at all with anyone who enjoys watching sport (so long as they don't expect me to join them!). I just have absolutely no understanding as to why it's in any way interesting to watch. (Sorry -- I know I'm in the minority here; I'm just completely bewildered by the whole thing!) :smile: Two dozen men in a field kicking a synthetic inflatable pig's bladder in cow skin around? Yeah... sounds like fun. Ohhh... you want to watch two dozen men in a field kicking a synthetic inflatable pig's bladder? Even better. :giggles:

A lot of sports are difficult to appreciate unless you've done them yourself. Football in all its variations is a little easier because its not very subtle. Many of the important plays are obvious even to the uninitiated

Maxx Junior took up rugby in college. I went to the first game and came away thinking "What just happened?" The scoring is pretty simple, but everything in between? i've learned to appreciate a lot of it since.

Soccer, there's the art of the dive... although I have to admit there's something to see in the setup of a shot.

Cycling can be deadly boring to watch, unless you've done it. Then you know the pain in a climb, and the look on a guy's face that tells you he's been anaerobic for a little too long and he's about to get shot off the back. You also know that if a descent is steep enough to look like a descent on TV, its terrifying when you're screaming down it at 50+mph in nothing more than a little spandex and a styrofoam hat. You've also felt the pain of road rash, collarbones, and a handlebar jammed into your ribs. A non-cyclist will watch and think "when is something going to happen?", where you're all "Oh my God, Oh my God".

There are spectacular moves in wrestling, but much of it looks like grunting and shoving, unless you know the tactics of fakes, feints, and dancing to get your opponent's weight moving in the direction you want. The wrestler also knows the feeling of being near maximum heartrate for 6 minutes, and what happens when you're gassed. To a non-wrestler, the Olympic gold medal match between Gardner and Karelin was a huge yawn. To a wrestler, it was amazing for what DIDN'T happen. Time after time, it looked like Karelin was in position to end it with his signature 5 point throw, and time after time, Gardner shifted his weight enough that Karelin couldn't get the right leverage. An absolute nailbiter from start to finish. Yeah, the winning point was anti-climatic, but getting there made up for it.

If I liked watching football, the most interesting kind of thing to happen would be a surprising demonstration of great skill: an amazingly impressive tackle, or a goal scored from the other side of the pitch in a gale-force side wind. But people watching football tend to only to be happy if the team they've arbitrarily chosen to support benefits from such play! I don't understand why people care who wins. Why do people pick teams? And why do grown men with pot bellies go down the pub wearing insanely overpriced fancy-dress football jerseys plastered with advertising?! (Oh crumbs, I've started ranting and raving again! Nurse! My medication!) :chillpill: *gulp*

I'm with you there, even though I have my share of kit in the closet. Its easier to swallow when your Chicago Blackhawks are known for having the best looking sweaters of any team anywhere.

IMHO, Wales Rugby has the best fan kit. Dragons.

Being totally honest, its mainly an excuse to visit the pub or to have a party at home. Even if it turns out to be a party of only one or two.

And football is nothing compared to the experience that my friend claimed to have enjoyed! He flew all the way to Spain to watch some motor racing live. He sat on a hard seat in 45 degree heat with earplugs in, unable to hear or speak to his friends, only able to see the cars for about a second as they whizzed past the particular section of track he could see... for eight hours. And then he flew home. I don't get it!!!

Its one of those things you can't appreciate unless you've been there. You feel it as much as see or hear it. There's a little 4 mile road course up in Wisconsin... Back in the day, before they went nuts with all the safety fences, I stood in the woods 20ft from the long straightaway during an IMSA GT race... Rick Mears getting clocked at 204mph. Its like the old Road Runner cartoons. All the trees seem to bend over and shed leaves as it goes by. Like Las Vegas, everyone should get a chance to see it once, even if they don't think they'll like it.

Now, though, the only "healthy" activity I enjoy is cycling. A few years ago I got myself a half-decent mountain bike and it's been great for exploring the countryside and getting about (since I don't drive any more). I think nothing of riding 25 miles or so now. It's so peaceful and liberating, and it gives you time to think and unwind. And come on, if you're going to exercise, why not do it sitting down?! :biggrin:

Agreed. Having done it both ways, its amazing how much different the same activity can be race mode vs. leisure mode. Not better or worse either way, just different kind of enjoyment.

- - - Updated - - -

... but the sport of Sailing has always be my hearts truest desire and greatest love.

Ack. Yet another sport with an endless variety of intricate, expensive, lightweight thing-a-ma-wots made of unobtainium that you can't possibly live without. Like cycling, motorsports, or even golf.

willnotwill

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
My wife's coworkers want to know if I'm Indian because I've really gotten into watching Cricket since I found we now have a 24-hour high def cricket channel (Willow) on the cable here.

Follow baseball and college football. Have great disdain for what the NBA has turned into. Occasionally watch hockey.

nray999

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I follow pro bike racing, mostly road , but also cyclocross, mountain bike and some track, depending on what's on TV or cyclingnews.com. I've also done some mountain bike and cyclocross racing and do as much trail riding as I can.
Other than that I like some of the more obscure Olympic sports like biathlon, fencing, and sprint kayaking. Major league pro sports can go hang, although I do find Super Bowl Sunday is a great day to go shopping.

tiny

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Like Las Vegas, everyone should get a chance to see it once, even if they don't think they'll like it.

Noooooooooooooooo!!! Why go somewhere you don't think you'd like, when there are places you think you would? :cool:

M

Maxx

Noooooooooooooooo!!! Why go somewhere you don't think you'd like, when there are places you think you would? :cool:

Its the spectacle of the thing, like Giza or Mr. Rushmore. You need to see it once as a cultural reference. Then you can say 'not my thing', but understand the attraction.

Then there's always the possibility that it WILL hook you. You don't need to come here. Don't you have Silverstone a couple blocks away? (Yes, I'm poking fun at the fact that you live on a small island)

Status
Not open for further replies.